This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
I’m so excited to share this spicy Thai shrimp recipe with you! Partially because it’s a quick and easy dinner that comes together with minimal prep. Who doesn’t love those types of easy meals?! And partially because these keto shrimp lettuce wraps are a complete meal! You’ve got your vegetables, your protein, your healthy fats. It’s ALL there. And it’s all wrapped up in a fun and fresh lettuce wrap.
Not only is this shrimp lettuce wrap recipe full of incredible Thai flavors (peanut sauce! lime! fish sauce!), but it’s also beautiful to look at. I mean, look at the bright colors in this spicy Thai shrimp!
I love to display the lettuce wraps on a big white platter, but you can also serve them family style and let everyone build their own. It’s up to you.
And either way, this is the kind of meal that everyone will truly enjoy – whether they are keto or low carb… or not. (But also check out the Thai beef lettuce wraps in my keto cookbook if you prefer that over shrimp.)
How To Make Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- Mix up the Thai style shrimp marinade. Whisk together coconut aminos, olive oil, fish sauce, lime juice, and crushed red peppers. Add the shrimp and set aside to marinate.
TIP: Marinate shrimp for about 30 minutes, but not longer, or they might get mushy.
- Mix up the peanut sauce. Whisk together peanut butter, coconut aminos, lime juice, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and garlic powder. Sample to taste, but do NOT eat the entire bowl of peanut sauce. 😉
TIP: If your peanut butter is too firm and doesn’t want to combine with the other ingredients, you can use a small blender instead.
- Cook the shrimp until just cooked through, being careful to not overcook it. If you use raw shrimp, the exterior will be pink and the flesh will be opaque. If they look grey or translucent, they need a few more minutes.
TIP: Buy raw, no-peel shrimp for best flavor. Cooked shrimp will work, but cook it for less time, as overcooking will make it rubbery.
TIP: Make sure everything is prepped and ready-to-go, as the shrimp cooks in just 4-6 minutes!
- Assemble the spicy shrimp lettuce wraps. Top lettuce leaves with shrimp, cucumbers, and avocados and then drizzle with the peanut sauce. Garnish with green onions, roasted peanuts, and lime wedges. (Optional, but adds great flavor and crunch.)
What Is Thai Shrimp?
Thai shrimp is pretty straightforward – it’s shrimp that’s marinated and cooked with with traditional Thai flavors. You can eat it as a main dish, in a salad, or my favorite way – Thai shrimp lettuce wraps!
In this easy Thai shrimp recipe, we’re using ingredients like fish sauce, lime juice, crushed red pepper flakes, and garlic to give these keto shrimp lettuce wraps flavors that are found in Thai cuisine.
Is Shrimp Keto?
Yes, shrimp is keto! Shrimp is a high-protein, low carb food, which makes it great for the keto diet. A 3-oz serving of shrimp contains:
- 84 calories
- 18 grams protein
- 1 gram fat
- 0 grams carbs
For more information on what foods are keto, check my Keto Food List for an expansive list of foods that fit within the keto diet.
Can You Make This Spicy Thai Shrimp Recipe Ahead?
You can make parts of this spicy Thai shrimp recipe ahead of time. To make this meal really quick, mix up the marinade and the peanut sauce, and prep the lettuce wrap ingredients.
Then when it’s time to cook, you can cook up the shrimp in 4-5 minutes and my Thai shrimp lettuce wraps recipe is ready to eat!
I wouldn’t recommend cooking the shrimp ahead, as it’s just not as good re-heated, but if you do cook it ahead, make sure to gently re-heat it until warm. It works in a pinch, but I prefer it freshly cooked.
How To Freeze Keto Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
Keto recipes with shrimp can be frozen. For this Thai shrimp recipe, you can freeze the shrimp once it has been cooked. Let it cool, then freeze in a single layer. You can also freeze the peanut sauce in a small container. The fresh lettuce wraps and veggies (obviously!) shouldn’t be frozen.
When you are ready to eat, simply let the peanut sauce thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then bring it to room temperature and whisk it together until smooth if it’s separated. The shrimp can be gently re-heated or eaten at room temperature.
More Keto Seafood Recipes
These easy Thai shrimp lettuce wraps are one of my favorite keto shrimp recipes! But you’ll also want to try these other low carb seafood recipes:
- Keto Crab Cakes – Classic crab cake flavor, but without the bread crumb filler. They are delicious!
- Shrimp In Coconut Sauce – Swap the rice for cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles to make this tasty shrimp keto!
- Japanese Kani Salad – The low carb version of traditional Kani salad. Upgraded to use real crab instead of artificial!
- Tuna Stuffed Avocado – This flavorful tuna is served in an avocado for a super filling meal.
- Salmon Foil Packets With Vegetables – One of the easiest seafood meals ever!
Tools To Make Spicy Thai Shrimp Lettuce Wraps:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- White Fry Pan – This white pan is pretty, but also pretty functional! It’s perfect for more delicate dishes like this Thai shrimp recipe.
- Glass Nesting Bowls – This set of ten gets used in my kitchen every single day. Mix up the marinade for spicy Thai prawns and marinate them right in the bowl. Less dishes is always a win.
- White Porcelain Serving Platter – Display these gorgeous keto shrimp lettuce wraps on a white platter. They’ll disappear quickly!
More Low Carb Recipes To Love
Spicy Keto Thai Shrimp Lettuce Wraps Recipe
This spicy Thai shrimp recipe is a delicious and EASY meal. Low carb keto shrimp lettuce wraps with peanut sauce are GF and take just 15 minutes to make!
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 16 leaves Bibb lettuce
- 1/3 small Cucumber (~3 oz; julienned)
- 1 large Avocado (diced)
- Green onions (sliced) *
- Peanuts (roasted) *
- Lime wedges *
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut aminos, 2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil, fish sauce, lime juice, and crushed red peppers.
Add the shrimp and mix to coat. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes to marinate.
Meanwhile, whisk together the ingredients for the peanut sauce. Set aside.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons (30 mL) oil in a large pan or wok over medium heat. Add the shrimp and saute for 4-6 minutes, until white, opaque, and cooked through.
Divide the shrimp, cucumbers, and avocados among the lettuce leaves. Drizzle with peanut sauce. If desired, garnish with green onions, roasted peanuts, and lime wedges.
Serving size: 4 lettuce wraps (each with 4 shrimp, 1/4 oz cucumber, 1/16 avocado, and 1/2 tbsp peanut sauce)
Garnishes not included in nutrition facts.
Want to know how to make Thai beef lettuce wraps instead? The method and sauce are different! Find the recipe in The Wholesome Yum Easy Keto Cookbook here.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Carb count excludes sugar alcohols. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Did you make this recipe?
Join the Easy Keto Challenge to enter monthly giveaways every time you share your pics of my recipes!