This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- Is Beef And Broccoli Keto?
- Why You’ll Love This Keto Beef And Broccoli Recipe
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- How To Make Keto Beef And Broccoli
- Storage Instructions
- What To Serve With Low Carb Beef and Broccoli
- More Healthy Asian Recipes
- Tools To Make Keto Friendly Beef and Broccoli
- Keto Beef and Broccoli (20 Minutes!)
When you’ve got a craving for Chinese food takeout, this keto beef and broccoli stir fry recipe comes to the rescue! It’s a healthy dish full of flavor, packed with protein, and one of the easiest quick and healthy Asian recipes I make for weeknights. Serve it over cauliflower rice for a low carb takeout classic.
Is Beef And Broccoli Keto?
This beef and broccoli recipe is keto friendly. But if you are eating it from a restaurant, or using a traditional recipe, it would not be keto friendly. Cornstarch and sugar are typically found in beef and broccoli recipes, which quickly adds to many carbs.
Why You’ll Love This Keto Beef And Broccoli Recipe
- Classic takeout flavor
- Simple ingredients
- Quick prep time — ready in 20 minutes!
- Made in one pan
- Just 8 grams net carbs per serving
- Naturally healthy, keto friendly, gluten-free, paleo, grain-free, and whole30
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for keto friendly beef and broccoli stir fry, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
For The Sauce:
- Coconut Aminos – Adds sweetness, flavor, and salt. Soy sauce is fine to substitute, but this is why I don’t use soy sauce.
- Fish Sauce – This helps give the stir fry great flavor. No fishy taste in the final dish!
- Ground Ginger – Ground ginger is convenient, you can also use fresh if you have it. If you opt for fresh, use 4 teaspoons fresh grated ginger in place of the 1 teaspoon ground.
- Crushed Red Pepper – Use more or less depending on how much spice you like.
- Olive Oil – Or avocado oil.
- Chicken Broth – You can also use beef broth if you like, or bone broth for a richer flavor and extra nutrition.
- Gelatin Powder – Be sure to use unflavored. It’s the perfect cornstarch substitute that helps to thicken the sauce without any flour or other starches.
For The Stir Fry:
- Olive Oil – Or avocado oil.
- Broccoli – Buy a fresh head of broccoli or broccoli florets for convenience.
- Garlic – Use fresh cloves or jarred garlic for convenience.
- Flank Steak – You can also swap it for other beef cuts, like skirt steak or flat iron steak.
This dish is already flavorful and colorful enough not to require garnishes, but if you like, you can add:
- Sesame oil – Stir this in at the end for extra flavor.
- Sesame seeds
- Green onion
How To Make Keto Beef And Broccoli
This section shows how to make this keto recipe for beef and broccoli, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Slice beef. Slice the flank steak as thinly as you can.
TIP: Freeze beef for a short time to make it easier to slice thinly.
Place the flank steak in the freezer for 30 minutes before slicing, which will make it more firm and help you slice it more thinly. The thinner, the better!
- Mix marinade. In a small bowl, whisk together coconut aminos, fish sauce, ground ginger, and red pepper flakes.
- Marinate beef. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the marinade (which will also be the stir fry sauce) to a large bowl and whisk in olive oil. Marinate beef for at least 30 minutes.
- Stir fry steak. Heat olive oil in a saute pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook for a few minutes, until browned. Transfer beef to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
TIP: Don’t move steak around too much.
This will help it get a nice sear.
- Stir fry broccoli. Heat more olive oil over medium heat and add broccoli. Cover with a lid and cook until tender. Transfer broccoli to the bowl with the beef.
TIP: You can steam the broccoli if needed.
If the broccoli doesn’t cook through easily by just stir frying, you can add a couple tablespoons water, cover and cook for a few minutes to steam it. If you do this, make sure you drain any remaining water afterward.
- Bloom gelatin. Whisk chicken broth and gelatin into a small bowl until smooth.
- Saute garlic. Heat the pan over medium heat again and saute garlic until fragrant.
- Make sauce. Pour the sauce mixture into the pan and bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally, until mixture starts to thicken.
- Combine. Add beef and broccoli to the skillet and toss to coat. Stir fry until hot.
- Store: Keep leftover beef and broccoli in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Meal Prep: Divide cooked cauliflower rice among your meal prep containers, top with low carb beef and broccoli, and keep in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave for an easy low carb lunch.
- Reheat: You can reheat in a hot skillet again, or the microwave, but the texture is better on the stove.
- Freeze: Store the stir fry in a heavy-duty freezer bag or airtight container in the freezer for 2-3 months.
What To Serve With Low Carb Beef and Broccoli
Traditionally, beef and broccoli would be served over rice, which is high in carbs. Here are a few low carb veggie options instead:
More Healthy Asian Recipes
If you like this keto beef and broccoli recipe, you might also like some of these other Asian recipes:
Tools To Make Keto Friendly Beef and Broccoli
- Ceramic Nonstick Wok – My go-to pan for stir fry, but a saute pan works as well.
Keto Beef And Broccoli Recipe
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Keto Beef and Broccoli (20 Minutes!)
No one will know this is a keto beef and broccoli recipe! This easy, healthy beef and broccoli stir fry tastes like it came from a Chinese restaurant and takes only 20 minutes.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut aminos, fish sauce, ground ginger, and crushed red pepper.
Transfer 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of the coconut aminos mixture to a large bowl – this will be the marinade. Whisk in a tablespoon of olive oil.
Add the beef to the large bowl with the marinade and coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Heat a tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil in a saute pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the beef and stir fry for a few minutes, until browned. Remove the beef, place in a bowl, and cover to keep warm.
Heat another tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the broccoli. Cover with a lid and cook for 8 to 12 minutes, lifting the lid only occasionally to stir, until crisp tender.
Remove the broccoli, place it into the bowl with the beef, and cover again to keep warm.
Whisk the chicken broth and gelatin into the reserved marinade/sauce in the smaller bowl, until smooth. (To prevent clumping, sprinkle the gelatin over it instead of just dumping in, and whisk immediately.)
Heat the pan again over medium heat. If the pan is dry, add more oil as needed. Add the garlic and saute for about a minute, until fragrant.
Pour the sauce mixture into the pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until volume is reduced and it starts to thicken.
Add the beef and broccoli to the pan, and toss to coat. Stir fry for another minute or two, until hot.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂