This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
No need to skip the buns, thanks to this low carb keto hamburger buns recipe! Bunless burgers are great, but let’s face it, they are better with a bun. That’s where these keto burger buns come in. They’re soft and chewy at the same time, and take just 10 minutes to prep. Perfect for everyone at the cookout. Try these keto low carb buns, you’re going to love them!
This low carb burger buns recipe was originally published on June 28, 2017, and the post was republished in August 2020 to add process pictures and useful tips.
A big thank you to Lisa from Low Carb Yum for sharing her amazing low carb hamburger buns recipe! Here is what she says about how she came up with it:
“When Maya asked me to share a low carb hamburger roll recipe, I wasn’t sure which low carb bread recipe to use as the base. There are so many to choose from! And it took a little trial and error to find the right one. I started with a basic cloud bread recipe. But, the texture wasn’t quite right for low carb hamburger buns.
Then I moved on to the ever popular Soul Bread recipe which is known for it’s light texture. However, the texture wasn’t soft and spongy like I wanted the low carb burger buns to be.
It wasn’t until a reader left a comment on my coconut flour psyllium husk bread recipe that the light bulb finally went off. Of course! Coconut flour provides a light texture and psyllium provides the structure of gluten. The ideal combination for carb free hamburger buns!
I ended up getting the low carb hamburger rolls right on the first try using the coconut flour psyllium bread recipe. The primary changes are using mainly egg whites and baking in round molds.“
Keto Burger Buns Ingredients
You need just 7 simple ingredients to make this keto bun recipe:
- Whole psyllium husks
- Coconut flour
- Baking soda
- Egg whites
- Avocado oil
- Coconut oil
…plus water and salt.
How To Make Keto Hamburger Buns
These easy keto burger buns take just 10 minutes to prep:
- Prepare your pan. Lightly grease a muffin top pan, or use a lightly greased sheet pan for hand formed rolls.
- Make psyllium gel. Mix together psyllium and water in a small bowl. It will turn into a thick gel.
- Process the batter. Combine coconut flour, baking soda, sea salt, egg whites, eggs, avocado oil, and coconut oil to a food processor and pulse until well combined.
- Add psyllium gel. Add the gel to the food processor and process again.
- Portion. Divide among the muffin top pan slots, or use wet hands to form balls and place onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Bake. They are done when the edges are golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool a bit on the pan, then finish on a cooling rack.
- Enjoy! Once they are cooled, you can slice them in half…
…And add your keto burger with fixings!
Low Carb Hamburger Buns FAQs
Are hamburger buns keto?
Most hamburger buns are not keto friendly, as they are made with white flour! This keto hamburger buns recipe is made with keto-friendly ingredients.
How many carbs in this low carb hamburger bun recipe?
These keto buns have just TWO grams net carbs per bun!
Can I use almond flour?
No, sorry. Coconut flour is not easily replaced, as it would require many other changes. If you want to use almond flour, try using my keto hot dog buns recipe and shape that into hamburger roll shapes.
Low Carb Buns Storage Instructions
Can you make keto friendly hamburger buns ahead?
Yes, and you should make these keto burger buns ahead so they have time to cool.
How to store keto burger buns
Store these keto burger buns in the pantry for 2-3 days.
Can you freeze keto burger buns?
Yes, you can also freeze these burger buns for 2-3 months. Wrap them in plastic wrap to prevent against freezer burn.
What To Serve With Low Carb Hamburger Buns
Once your keto burger buns are ready, you need to fill them! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Juicy Burgers – Grill or stove-top, just don’t forget the two secret ingredients! (These are pictured above.)
- Chipotle Turkey Burgers – These are so juicy as well – you’ll never think turkey is dry again. Options to pan-fry, grill, or bake!
- Homemade Sloppy Joes – The filling goes great with these buns.
- Ranch Chicken – This creamy pulled chicken goes best with a low carb bun recipe.
Also try using these for any of your gourmet burger ideas!
More Keto Bread Recipes
If you like this keto buns recipe, you might also like some of these other keto bread recipes:
- White Keto Bread – The most popular low carb bread on Wholesome Yum! Tastes like fluffy white bread!
- Almond Flour Bread – Just like a nice and chewy wheat bread.
- Fathead Bagels – My personal favorite! Great anytime of the day. Sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning is optional. 🙂
- 90-Second Bread – The quickest way to get keto bread on your plate! And this one is NOT eggy.
Tools To Make Keto Buns
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Food Processor – This 14-cup processor can do just about anything.
- Muffin Top Pan – This pan makes it easy to shape your no carb hamburger buns.
Keto Burger Buns Recipe
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Low Carb Keto Hamburger Buns Recipe
See how to make your own low carb burger buns for summer cookouts! This easy keto keto hamburger buns recipe with coconut flour is light and chewy.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Lightly grease a muffin top pan (or use a lightly greased sheet pan for hand formed rolls).
Mix psyllium and water in small bowl, set aside. It will turn into a thick gel.
Add remaining ingredients into a food processor (or mixing bowl) and pulse (or blend with electric mixer), until well combined.
Add psyllium gel into the food processor (or mixing bowl) and pulse (or blend with electric mixer), until mixed in.
Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin top molds (or shape into 12 rolls with wet hands). Smooth the tops. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until edges are brown and a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
Let rolls sit in pan for 10-15 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to cool completely on a rack.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 keto bun
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂