FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 120,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Keto egg salad might not be the first thing that comes to mind when I think of keto egg recipes. It’s such a common way to use hard boiled eggs, so maybe you already know how to make egg salad? But seeing as how I’ve picked up a knack for mayo-based salads (try keto chicken salad, broccoli salad or tuna egg salad, to name a few!)… and seeing as how eggs are definitely my favorite food… well, it was only natural that an easy classic egg salad recipe has been missing from Wholesome Yum.
So, here it is! A super simple, super versatile, and super, super delicious keto egg salad recipe. You might have made a similar version in the past, but I just had to share mine.
(Spoiler alert: It’s not really any different from a classic egg salad you’d eat even if you weren’t keto. You just might serve it a different way. ;))
Egg Salad Ingredients
The ingredients in this classic egg salad recipe are very simple ones that you probably already have in your kitchen:
- Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice
- Hard boiled eggs
- White onion
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Paprika (optional – for garnish)
(You’ll find the amounts of the ingredients for egg salad on the recipe card below.)
How To Make Egg Salad
When I say this is an easy egg salad, I mean it! Just a few super simple steps:
- Boil eggs. I usually do this ahead of time. You can boil eggs on the stove, or believe it or not, make baked hard boiled eggs.
- Make dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, mustard, and lemon juice, until smooth.
- Mix egg salad. Gently fold in eggs, celery, onions, and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish. A sprinkle of paprika and more chives are just perfect!
Classic Egg Salad Recipe FAQs
Is egg salad keto friendly?
Yes, most egg salads are naturally keto-friendly, but it all depends on what goes into them.
This recipe has just 2 grams net carbs per serving, which I think makes it the best classic egg salad!
Are egg salad sandwiches healthy?
There are many different types of egg salad sandwiches and they span the “healthy” spectrum. If you are trying to reduce carbs or even just refined flours, wheat bread is not the best choice.
Instead, try swapping your white bread for my keto white bread recipe. It’s fluffy but made with nutritious ingredients. (See more ideas for how to serve egg salad below!)
Why does egg salad get runny?
Sometimes, egg salad gets a little runny after the veggies release moisture and it warms up a bit if it’s sitting on the counter. To thicken it back up, simply refrigerate and/or stir in an additional hard boiled egg.
Easy Egg Salad Storage Instructions
Can you make egg salad ahead?
The best egg salad recipes are made fresh, but you can prep some of the components ahead to make it come together super fast:
- Hard boil your eggs.
- Chop celery and onions.
- Mix together mayonnaise and mustard.
How to store egg salad
Store this egg salad recipe in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Can you freeze egg salad?
I would not recommend freezing classic egg salad. Neither eggs nor mayonnaise freeze well.
What To Eat Egg Salad With
Whether you’re in the mood for an easy egg salad sandwich or an egg salad lettuce wrap, you’ve got options. Here are a few ways to enjoy this delicious egg salad:
- Lettuce Wraps – A great way to serve the best keto egg salad. Use romaine or butter (bibb) lettuce leaves and top with egg salad. (Get more ideas in my full guide on keto lettuce wraps!)
- Cucumber Slices – Use cucumber slices as a cracker-like option for your egg salad.
- Mini Bell Peppers – Cut mini bell peppers in half, remove the seeds and stem, and scoop away.
- Almond Flour Crackers – These keto crackers are crunchy and buttery, and made with just 2 ingredients!
- 90-Second Keto Bread – The fastest way to make keto bread – only 5 ingredients needed.
- Almond Flour Bread – Just like a classic wheat bread, this bread is made for classic egg salad.
More Keto Egg Recipes
If you like this easy egg salad recipe, you might also like some of these other keto egg recipes:
- Perfect Omelette – A fluffy and flavorful omelette with step by step tips and tricks.
- Keto Crustless Quiche – Caprese style crustless quiche is bursting with tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella cheese.
- Baked Avocado Egg – Egg stuffed avocado is the perfect keto meal to start your day…or have for lunch…or as a snack. You get the point.
- Chef Salad – This easy salad takes just 15 minutes to pull together. It might be naturally keto, but everyone loves it.
- Tuna Egg Salad – Tuna salad + egg salad is the perfect combination of both and an ideal meal prep option as it stores well.
- Keto Deviled Eggs – If there is a more perfect snack, then I haven’t discovered it yet. Ready in 20 minutes and so flavorful. These always disappear.
Tools To Make Keto Egg Salad:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Egg Slicer – Use this egg slicer to quickly slice eggs and then roughly chop to get them ready for this classic egg salad. The slices are also great for garnishes and for other salads that call for sliced eggs, such as chef salad.
- Glass Storage Containers – Store any leftover egg salad in these glass containers. I’ve had mine for years and they hold up well.
Reader Fave Keto Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Easy Keto Egg Salad Recipe
This easy keto egg salad recipe takes just 5 minutes to make! Learn how to make classic egg salad - it's perfect for low carb sandwiches and lettuce wraps.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, mustard, and lemon juice, until smooth.
Gently fold in the eggs, celery, onions, and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with paprika on top, if desired.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Video Showing How To Make Egg Salad:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Egg Salad!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT COPY/PASTE recipe instructions to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂