FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 120,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Keto chef salad is one of my favorite salads to make, because it’s naturally low carb, yet enjoyable for everyone else that might not care about any diet at all. Chef salad ingredients are super simple, and if you need to swap something, that’s easy to do. It’s a throw-in-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink type of salad. The prep time is super quick, too – just 15 minutes or so, enough to slice and dice everything. This easy homemade chef salad recipe is a classic for a reason!
Chef Salad Ingredients
Think there must be a ton of chef salad ingredients? Nope!
It’s just 8 simple kitchen staples, and here’s how to prep each of them:
- Romaine lettuce – Chop right before serving.
- Deli ham – Dice the ham, choose whatever thickness in slices you like.
- Cherry tomatoes – Slice these in half.
- Cucumbers – Slice into quarter moons.
- Cheddar cheese – Cubed!
- Swiss cheese – Cubed!
- Hard boiled eggs – I recommend this method for perfect boiled eggs, and once cooled, slice them using an egg slicer.
- Thousand island dressing – I make mine with keto thousand island dressing, but if that’s not important to you, any kind will do.
How To Make Chef Salad
This keto chef salad comes together in just 3 easy steps, here’s how to make it:
- Chop. Get all your chef salad ingredients sliced and diced, as described above.
- Plate. You can put everything into one large salad bowl, or individual serving bowls.
- Add dressing. Top salad with dressing and toss to coat, or serve the dressing on the side.
Chef Salad Recipe FAQs
Is a chef salad keto friendly?
Wondering if you can have chef salad on keto? Yes! There are just 4.3 grams net carbs in chef salad using this recipe.
Many classic chef salad recipes include croutons and are topped with a chef salad dressing that is made with sugar, so those would not be keto.
Fortunately, this salad has simple staples that everyone would enjoy, so even if you’re not keto – or you have friends or family members that are not – it’s still delicious to serve for just about anyone.
Can you have salad on keto?
Yes, you can absolutely have salad on keto – and you should, it’s so good for you. 😉
You just need to make sure that you’re paying attention to toppings and dressings, which are typically the places that you’ll find sugar and carbs. Check the keto food list for ingredients that would be safe to include in a keto friendly salad.
What kind of dressing goes with chef salad?
Can I make it dairy-free?
Sure! Just omit the cheeses.
Chef Salad Storage Instructions
Can you make chef salad ahead?
Yes, you can make this salad ahead. Most of the chef salad ingredients can be stored together without making your salad wilt.
How to store homemade chef salad
Store the chef salad ingredients separate from the dressing in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
More Easy Salad Recipes
If you like chef salad, you might also like some of these other keto salad recipes:
- Israeli Salad – This easy salad is made with just 5 basic ingredients and an ultra simple dressing!
- Sugar-Free Coleslaw – This one is on repeat all summer long and goes with just about everything.
- Caesar Salad – This classic Caesar makes a great lunch or dinner option. The Parmesan crisps are an addicting crunch.
- Strawberry Spinach Salad – Light, summery, and sweet, without any sugar.
- Spicy Thai Beef Salad – This bright and flavorful salad is topped with Thai beef. Better than takeout!
Tools To Make Homemade Chef Salad:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Egg Slicer – Quickest way to slice eggs for chef salad.
- Salad Chopper – The easiest way to quickly chop chef salad ingredients!
- Meal Prep Salad Containers – These containers are the perfect way to plan for the week.
Reader Fave Keto Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Chef Salad Recipe
An easy homemade chef salad recipe that comes together in 15 minutes! Since chef salad ingredients are simple and customizable, you can make this naturally keto chef salad at home on a whim.
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Place chopped lettuce into a large bowl, or divide among serving bowls.
Top with ham, tomatoes, cucumbers, cubed cheeses, and sliced eggs.
Add dressing and toss to coat, or serve dressing on the side of individual bowls.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 2 cups, or 1/6 entire recipe
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT COPY/PASTE recipe instructions to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂