This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Cheese: It adds flavor, melty texture, and tang to everything it touches. In some diets, cheese doesn’t jive because of its nutritional qualities. But what about the keto diet? Is cheese keto?
If you want to enjoy cheese on keto, this is the guide for you. Get an overview of carbs in cheese, and check out the comprehensive keto cheese list to see how much you can really enjoy.
Need more keto friendly foods at your fingertips? This huge keto food list or keto cheat sheets can help.
Is Cheese Keto Friendly?
Yes, you can have cheese on keto, thanks to its high fat content and low carbs.
Cheese is keto from a nutritional standpoint, but may cause digestive issues for anyone sensitive to dairy. (Luckily, you can still find lots of dairy-free keto recipes!)
How much cheese can I eat on keto?
You can certainly eat keto friendly cheese – but it’s not a carb-free food. You’ll need to pay close attention to serving sizes, since the small amount of carbs in cheese can add up fast.
The way you buy low carb cheese can also determine its nutritional value. Pre-shredded cheeses, for example, sometimes contain added starches to prevent sticking that will add more carbs to each serving. For the best keto diet cheese experience, buy whole blocks and slice or shred them yourself.
All cheese can be keto. However, keep fat content in mind when you look for low carb cheese. Low fat, nonfat, and full fat cheeses are all considered low carb, but lower fat varieties will generally yield higher carb counts.
Takeaway: Choose full-fat cheeses whenever possible, and steer clear of any with added starch or sweeteners.
Keto Cheese ListPin It For Later!
Carbs In Cheese: The Keto Cheese List
How many carbs in cream cheese? Is cottage cheese keto? What about blue cheese carbs? Use this keto cheese list to answer all your questions about carbs in cheese and more.
As a rule of thumb, soft cheeses may be less keto friendly than hard cheeses because they have more lactose (a kind of sugar). This is a key reason why people avoid milk on keto, too.
In particular, very soft cheeses – such as cream cheese, cottage cheese, and ricotta cheese – will have a most noticeably higher carb count in low-fat varieties. Sometimes low-fat versions even have sugar added, so check labels.
You’ll find both hard and soft cheeses on this keto cheese list.
How many carbs in cheese?
Does cheese have carbs? Yes, and the quantity varies by the type of low carb cheese you select. Find the best cheese for keto below:
- American Cheese – 1g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Asadero Cheese – 1.2g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Babybel Cheese – 0g net carbs per piece [*]
- Blue Cheese – 0.7g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Boursin Cheese – 1g net carbs per 2 tablespoons [*]
- Brie Cheese – 0.1g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Burrata Cheese – 1g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Camembert Cheese – 0.1g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Cheddar Cheese – 0.6g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Cheese Curds – 1g net carbs per serving (4 pieces) [*]
- Chèvre Cheese – 0g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Colby Cheese – 0.7g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Colby Jack Cheese – 0.3g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Cotija Cheese – 1g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Cottage Cheese – 2.9g net carbs per 4 ounces [*]
- Cream Cheese – 1.6g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Edam Cheese – 0.4g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Feta Cheese – 1.1g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Fontina Cheese – 0.4g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Gorgonzola Cheese – 1g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Gouda Cheese – 0.6g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Gruyere Cheese – 0.1g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Halloumi Cheese – 0g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Havarti Cheese – 1g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Limburger Cheese – 0.1g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Manchego Cheese – 1g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Mascarpone Cheese – 1g net carbs per tablespoon [*]
- Monterey Jack Cheese – 0.2g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Mozzarella Cheese – 0.7g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Muenster Cheese – 0.3g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Neufchatel Cheese – 1g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Parmesan Cheese – 0.9g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Pepper Jack Cheese – 1g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Pimento Cheese – 0.5g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Provolone Cheese – 0.6g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Queso Fresco – 0.8g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Ricotta Cheese – 1.5g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Romano Cheese – 1g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Roquefort Cheese – 0.6g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Swiss Cheese – 0.4g net carbs per ounce [*]
- Velveeta Cheese – 2.7g net carbs per ounce [*] – This has milk added and processed ingredients, so avoid it for clean keto.
Did I miss any? Let me know in the comments below!
Top 10 Keto Cheese RecipesPin It For Later!
Top 10 Cheesy Keto Recipes
Now that you know you can have cheese on keto… what keto cheese recipes should you make? Try the delicious dishes below!
Cream Cheese Keto Pancakes
These golden pancakes need a few simple ingredients, and freeze perfectly.
Get The Keto Pancakes Recipe
Keto Cheese Crackers
Yes, you can make perfectly crisp keto cheese crackers — and they go with everything!
Get The Keto Cheese Crackers Recipe
Keto Charcuterie Board
The easiest, most elegant way to display cheeses — and perfect for a crowd!
Get The Keto Charcuterie Board Recipe
Low Carb Chaffles
Chaffles are waffles made from eggs and cheese… and the cheese makes them crispy. Check out the viral recipe (with 5 different flavors)!
Get The Chaffles Recipe
Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
Keto cheese + a keto vegetable = the perfect dish.
Get The Zucchini Casserole Recipe
Keto Cloud Bread
Mascarpone adds buttery flavor to this light and simple bread.
Get The Keto Cloud Bread Recipe
Keto Cheese Taco Shells
Bring taco night back! These easy shells only need 3 ingredients, and you probably have them all on-hand.
Get The Taco Shells Recipe
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Pop green beans in a hot oven for an easy side dish that’s ready in a flash.
Get The Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Keto Blue Cheese Dressing
You’ll want this on ALL your salads! And it’s all made with real-food ingredients.
Get The Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
Berry Ricotta Dessert
Berries and cheese make an amazing combo! Try it to believe it in this ricotta-based dish.
Get The Ricotta Dessert Recipe
Keto Cream Cheese Cookies
This cream cheese keto dessert only needs a few keto kitchen staples.
Get The Cream Cheese Cookies Recipe
So, is cheese keto? Absolutely! Go for higher-fat varieties, and enjoy keto cheese recipes every day of the week if you can tolerate it.
FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
Is Cheese Keto?
Thank you for the informative article on the keto-friendliness of cheese. As someone following a ketogenic diet, I found it helpful to learn about the types of cheese that are low in carbs and high in fat. The detailed explanations and recipe ideas provided were also greatly appreciated. Keep up the great work!
Thank you for the great Information 😀
Hi! I don’t see baked cheese or bread cheese on your cheese list. Have you tried THE BIG MOO? It’s baked cheese. It has 6g of protein, 8 grams of fat and <1g carbs per serving.
What about laughing cow cheese wedges. Are these keto friendly?
Wholesome Yum M0
Hi Renae, Yes, I recommend the full-fat version of these cheeses. Enjoy!
I didn’t see goat cheese listed. Is it keto friendly?
Wholesome Yum M0
Hi Terry, Goat cheese is also called Chèvre Cheese, which is how it’s listed above. It has zero net carbs (and keto-friendly!) Enjoy!
Can you tell me the value for Eemmntal cheese please, thanks.
Wholesome Yum M0
Hi Laura, Emmental Cheese can vary by manufacturer, but it is generally 0 net carbs per serving.
Wholesome Yum M0
Hi Tracy, Just the same as above, it will vary slightly by manufacturer, but asiago cheese is generally 1 carb or less per serving.
You’r graphi says colby jack = .3g nc, but the list says .5g nc.
Wholesome Yum M0
Hi Shalom, Fantastic catch! The page has been updated. Colby jack cheese is 0.3 net carbs per ounce. Thank you!
It also depends on the brand, as some add additional fiber which decreases nc. Especially when it comes to shredded cheese. Organic Valley ends up having 0 nc vs. other brands (at least according to the label, which I know can be off sometimes)