Free: Healthy 5-Ingredient Meals EbookGet It Now
If you’re looking for the best easy, creamy cucumber salad recipe, this is it! It’s the perfect easy summer salad that highlights fresh garden cucumbers. Healthy, creamy cucumber salad with sour cream and dill takes just 10 minutes and a handful of simple ingredients, and can also be made ahead of time. It’s similar to creamy cucumber radish salad and just as fast as three bean salad, with a zesty addition from crisp onions. You’re going to love it!
Growing up in a Russian-speaking family, lettuce-based salads were less common. This sour cream cucumber salad, on the other hand, made a regular appearance with my family. (This dish is popular in many cultures, as well as here in the USA, but definitely so in Russian and Eastern European culture, where sour cream is used in… pretty much everything, haha.) The salad makes a cool, crunchy side dish that pairs with lots of different mains, and was one of my favorite healthy salads as a kid. However, if you prefer less creamy cucumber salad recipes, smashed cucumber salad is another delicious alternative.
Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe: Why You’ll Love It
- Tangy, herby flavor
- Cool, crunchy, refreshing texture
- Super simple ingredients
- 10 minutes from start to finish
- Healthy dose of vegetables
- Delicious with cookout favorites like grilled chicken, burgers, pork, or steaks!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for cucumber salad with sour cream, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Sour Cream – Makes up the base of the creamy sauce in this salad. Cucumbers and sour cream are a classic combo, but see below for alternatives.
- Fresh Dill – This is a creamy cucumber dill salad, so I say fresh dill is a must! You can use dried dill if that’s all you have, but fresh tastes much better. If you do substitute dried, use 1 teaspoon dry for every tablespoon of fresh dill.
- Olive Oil – Use extra virgin olive oil, or any neutral oil you like.
- Lemon Juice – Fresh juice is so refreshing in this creamy cucumber onion salad, but you can use bottled lemon juice for convenience.
- Spices – Garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Fresh Cucumbers – I used little mini cucumbers for my healthy cucumber salad, because smaller cucumbers are a little sweeter than the large ones, have more tender skin, and require less chopping (just slice). However, any cucumbers will work, including English cucumbers and Persian cucumbers. If it has a tougher skin, you may want to peel it first.
- Onion – I use a red onion here, but sweet onion would also be delicious.
VARIATIONS: Use a different creamy dressing!
Instead of sour cream, you can also use mayo (with a small splash of white vinegar or apple cider vinegar for tang), or plain Greek yogurt.
How To Make Cucumber Salad With Sour Cream
This section shows how to make creamy cucumber salad, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Make the dressing. Whisk together sour cream, lemon juice, olive oil, spices, and fresh dill in a salad bowl.
- Toss together. Add thinly sliced cucumbers and onions to dressing and toss. Serve immediately, or refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes to let flavors develop.
VARIATION: Drain the cucumbers in a colander first.
This is not required and I usually skip it, but it’s a good idea if you’ll be making the salad ahead of time. Simply place the cucumbers in a colander over the sink, sprinkle with salt, and let sit for 15-30 minutes. Pat dry with a paper towel, then proceed with the creamy cucumber salad recipe as written.
- Store: Cover and store sour cream dill cucumber salad in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Meal prep: Slice cucumbers and onions, prepare dressing, then store separately and toss together just before serving — or up to a few days before.
- Freeze: Avoid freezing cucumber salad recipes, as their texture will become unappetizing.
What To Serve With Creamy Cucumber Salad
Making this cucumber salad recipe creamy means it pairs well with lots of summery dishes. Try it with these easy pairings!
- Chicken – Try this salad with air fryer chicken wings, baked chicken leg quarters, or cilantro lime chicken.
- Steaks – Sirloin steak recipes, filet mignon, and New York strip steak all pair well with this cucumber creamy salad.
- Pork – Serve salad with a cast iron pork chop, slow cooker pulled pork, or smothered pork chops.
- Grilled Mains – Everyone loves this salad with juicy burgers, grilled Mediterranean chicken kabobs, grilled salmon, or other healthy grilling recipes.
More Refreshing Cucumber Recipes
If you like this cucumber creamy salad, you’ll enjoy these fresh and easy recipes, too!
Creamy Cucumber Salad With Sour Cream
The best easy, creamy cucumber salad recipe with sour cream, lemon juice, onion, and dill. Make it in just 10 minutes!
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, dill, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic powder. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Stir in the chopped cucumbers and red onions.
Did You Like It?
Leave a rating to help other readers (this also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site), or get the recipe sent to your inbox.
Serving size: 1 cup
For a variation, try my creamy cucumber radish salad recipe!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂