This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
If you’re looking for the best easy, creamy cucumber salad recipe, this is it! It’s the perfect easy summer salad that highlights fresh garden cucumbers. Healthy, creamy cucumber salad with sour cream and dill takes just 10 minutes and a handful of simple ingredients, and can also be made ahead of time. It’s similar to creamy cucumber radish salad, with a zesty addition from crisp onions. You’re going to love it!
Growing up in a Russian-speaking family, lettuce-based salads were less common. This sour cream cucumber salad, on the other hand, made a regular appearance with my family. (This dish is popular in many cultures, as well as here in the USA, but definitely so in Russian and Eastern European culture, where sour cream is used in… pretty much everything, haha.) The salad makes a cool, crunchy side dish that pairs with lots of different mains, and was one of my favorite healthy salads as a kid.
Why You’ll Love This Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Tangy, herby flavor
- Cool, crunchy, refreshing texture
- Super simple ingredients
- 10 minutes from start to finish
- Delicious with cookout favorites like grilled chicken, burgers, pork, or steaks!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for cucumber salad with sour cream, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Sour Cream – Makes up the base of the creamy sauce in this salad. Cucumbers and sour cream are a classic combo, but see below for alternatives.
- Fresh Dill – This is a creamy cucumber dill salad, so I say fresh dill is a must! You can use dried dill if that’s all you have, but fresh tastes much better. If you do substitute dried, use 1 teaspoon dry for every tablespoon of fresh dill.
- Olive Oil – Use extra virgin olive oil, or any neutral oil you like.
- Lemon Juice – Fresh juice is so refreshing in this creamy cucumber onion salad, but you can use bottled lemon juice for convenience.
- Spices – Garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Cucumber – I used little mini cucumbers for my healthy cucumber salad, because smaller cucumbers are a little sweeter than the large ones, have more tender skin, and require less chopping (just slice). However, any cucumbers will work, including English cucumbers and Persian cucumbers. If it has a tougher skin, you may want to peel it first.
- Onion – I use a red onion here, but sweet onion would also be delicious.
VARIATIONS: Other dressing alternatives for cucumber creamy salad.
Instead of sour cream, you can also use mayo (with a small splash of white vinegar or apple cider vinegar for tang), or plain Greek yogurt.
How To Make Cucumber Salad With Sour Cream
This section shows how to make creamy cucumber salad, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Make dressing. Whisk together sour cream, lemon juice, olive oil, spices, and fresh dill in a salad bowl.
- Toss. Add thinly sliced cucumbers and onions to dressing and toss. Serve immediately, or refrigerate for 30 minutes to let flavors develop.
- Store: Cover and store sour cream dill cucumber salad in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Meal prep: Slice cucumbers and onions, prepare dressing, then store separately and toss together just before serving — or up to a few days before.
- Freeze: Avoid freezing cucumber salad recipes, as their texture will become unappetizing.
What To Serve With Sour Cream Cucumber Salad
Making this cucumber salad recipe creamy means it pairs well with lots of summery dishes. Try it with these easy pairings!
- Chicken – Try this salad with air fryer chicken wings, baked chicken leg quarters, or cilantro lime chicken.
- Steaks – Sirloin steak, filet mignon, and New York strip steak all pair well with this cucumber creamy salad.
- Pork – Serve salad with pan seared pork chops, slow cooker pulled pork, or smothered pork chops.
- Grilled Mains – Everyone loves this salad with juicy burgers, grilled Mediterranean chicken kabobs, grilled salmon, or other healthy grilling recipes.
More Refreshing Cucumber Recipes
If you like this cucumber creamy salad, you’ll enjoy these fresh and easy recipes, too!
Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Creamy Cucumber Salad With Sour Cream (10 Min!)
The best, easy, creamy cucumber salad recipe! It takes just minutes to throw together, uses simple ingredients, and stores well, too. You'll love this cucumber dill salad with sour cream.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, dill, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic powder. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Stir in the chopped cucumbers and red onions.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
For a variation, try my creamy cucumber radish salad recipe!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂