FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Yes, your keto chili needs keto cornbread with almond flour! My keto friendly cornbread is made with a secret ingredient… it gives it all the flavor of sweet corn – without the carbs and sugar. Can you guess what it is? (Hint: It’s an extract and I’ll tell you about it below.) I always make this low carb cornbread recipe in a cast iron skillet to serve with chili, but really, any soup will do. It takes just 7 ingredients and 5 minutes to prep this almond flour cornbread, so you have no excuse not to serve it with your favorite keto soups. 😉
This keto cornbread recipe came about after some people started saying that they turned my keto blueberry muffins into cornbread with some tweaks. I made it more buttery, more cornbread-y, and moved it over into a large pan, and here we are!
What Is Keto Cornbread?
This keto friendly cornbread is a little different than you might think. It looks like cornbread, it tastes like cornbread, but it doesn’t actually contain any corn!
We’re making low carb cornbread with corn extract to give it that traditional corn flavor, but without adding any carbs.
How To Make Keto Friendly Cornbread
This gluten free keto cornbread recipe is beyond easy. Let me break it down:
- Grease your skillet. I love using my cast iron skillet for this low carb cornbread recipe, but if you don’t have one, you can use a regular 10″ pie or round baking dish. It just browns better with the cast iron.
- Stir together the almond flour cornbread dry ingredients: almond flour, baking powder, sweetener, and sea salt.
- Add wet ingredients: melted butter, almond milk, and eggs.
TIP: If you want to mimic the buttermilk that some traditional cornbread recipes use, you can stir a teaspoon of lemon juice into the almond milk before adding it to the recipe. Let it sit for a few minutes to curdle, then you can add it to the batter. If you do this, also add 1/2 tsp baking soda.
- Add sweet corn extract. When the batter is smooth (it will be thick), stir in the corn extract.
- Transfer batter into skillet. Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake until golden brown. It’s done when the top springs back when touched and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Is Cornbread Keto Friendly?
This recipe for keto cornbread is obviously keto friendly, but most cornbread recipes would not be keto.
Traditional cornbread is made from flour, sugar, and corn… none of which are keto friendly, so I had to make this version for all of us!
Can You Make Keto Cornbread Muffins?
Absolutely! For keto cornbread muffins, just bake the batter in a parchment lined muffin tin instead of a cast iron pan. The baking time will be shorter, approximately 25-30 minutes.
How To Store Low Carb Cornbread
My gluten free cornbread with almond flour can be stored in the skillet, by simply covering it with plastic wrap or foil.
Alternatively, you can cut into pieces and store them in an airtight container. They will last for 3-4 days at room temperature, or you can refrigerate it for up to a week.
Can You Freeze Low Carb Almond Flour Cornbread?
Yes, you can also freeze this keto cornbread recipe. I recommend cutting the almond flour cornbread into pieces and wrapping in plastic wrap to prevent any freezer burn. The almond flour cornbread will last for 2-3 months in the freezer.
When you’re ready to eat, simply remove from the freezer and thaw until room temperature. You can also heat it up slightly in a warm oven or microwave.
More Keto Bread Recipes
If you like this keto friendly cornbread recipe, you might also like some of my other low carb keto bread recipes. I often hear that bread is one of the foods people miss most when going low carb or keto, so I have a ton of options for you. Here are a few of the most popular recipes:
- Low Carb Bagels – These bagels are made with fathead dough and are one of the most popular recipes on my entire site! Chewy just how they should be!
- Best 90 Second Bread – If you need keto bread and you need it fast, this is the recipe for you.
- 5-Ingredient Paleo Keto Bread – Another super simple keto bread that’s a fan favorite! This one is made with almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, butter, and egg whites. That’s it!
- Keto Cheddar Bay Biscuits – Yes, just like the ones from a certain seafood restaurant…but without the carbs and refined flour. Serve them with soup, or as a dinner side.
- Low Carb Naan – Your curries need a side of naan and I’ve got the keto version. Also makes a great snack or “breadstick.”
Tools To Make Keto Cornbread
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Besti Monkfruit Allulose Blend – My monkfruit sweetener with allulose can be replace sugar 1:1, has zero net carbs, and makes this low carb cornbread recipe super moist.
- 10-Inch Lodge Cast Iron Skillet – This is the cast iron skillet that I have and I love it! It comes pre-seasoned so that you don’t have to worry about doing that and is the perfect size for a batch of almond flour cornbread.
- Sweet Corn Extract – This is the secret to a cornbread keto friendly recipe! It gives all the flavor of summer sweet corn without the sugar and carbs.
Low Carb Keto Cornbread Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
This reader favorite recipe is included in The Wholesome Yum Easy Keto Carboholics’ Cookbook! Inside this beautiful hard cover keto recipe book, you’ll find 100 delectable, EASY keto recipes to replace all your favorite carbs: bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, desserts, and more… each with 10 ingredients or less! Plus, a photo, macros, & tips for every recipe.
Low Carb Keto Cornbread Recipe
Easy keto cornbread is the side your chili and soups need! My low carb almond flour cornbread recipe is made with a secret ingredient that makes it taste like the real thing.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet with butter.
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, sweetener, and sea salt.
Stir in the melted butter, almond milk and eggs, until smooth. Stir in the sweet corn extract.
Transfer the batter into the skillet and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 slice, or 1/16 entire recipe (it’s very filling, so we cut it into 16 slices)
Recipe from The Easy Keto Carboholics’ Cookbook.
Video Showing How To Make Low Carb Cornbread:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe — it’s located directly above the ingredients list. It’s the easiest way to learn how to make Low Carb Cornbread!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂