FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 120,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
When the weather drops, this easy keto beef stew recipe will warm you right up! My low carb beef stew takes just 10 minutes to prep, and some time on the stove. When it’s done cooking? You’ll be left with rich and hearty stew that makes a delicious and filling winter meal. And once you know how to make beef stew keto, pair it with a veggie side, or keto bread (or keto breadsticks from my Easy Keto Cookbook!)… or just a big bowl, it’s hearty enough to be a meal all on its own.
What Is The Secret Ingredient In Keto Beef Stew?
The low carb trick to this healthy beef stew? Celery root!
Low in carbs, this root veggie has the texture of potatoes once it’s soft and tender. You might just think it’s potatoes! (Seriously, my husband totally did and accused me of making a non keto beef stew… haha.)
How To Make Low Carb Beef Stew
This easy keto beef stew takes just 10 minutes to prep and some simmer time on the stove. Here’s how we make my keto beef stew recipe:
- Peel and cube the celery root. This will be our keto friendly stand-in for potatoes!
TIP: You’ll get about 1 pound peeled, cubed celery root from 1.5 pounds celery root with stems and peel. So, buy 1.5 pounds at the grocery store to make this low carb beef stew recipe.
Here is how to peel celery root:
- Start by chopping off the top and bottom.
- Place a flat side onto the counter and use a peeler away from you, toward the counter, to peel the skin on the sides. Flip and repeat with any parts you didn’t get.
- Slice the peeled celery root into discs.
- Stack the discs and cut them into thin strips.
- Place the strips next to each other and cut crosswise into small cubes.
You can see the various steps of the process below:
- Season the meat. Cut the beef into chunks and season it with salt and pepper.
- Brown meat. Working in batches, brown the meat in a dutch oven. Sear until well browned, then set aside. Repeat as necessary.
TIP: It’s important to brown the beef over high heat, in a single layer, and without moving it around too much. This ensures a nice sear. Do it in batches if necessary so that each piece touches the pan.
- Saute veggies. Heat more oil in the dutch oven and add onions and carrots. Saute until soft and lightly browned. Add in garlic and Italian seasoning.
- Cook the keto friendly beef stew. Place the beef back into dutch oven. Add broth, diced tomatoes, and bay leaves. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom – this is called de-glazing.
TIP: I used a can of diced tomatoes in place of higher-sugar tomato paste. It also helps balance out the richer flavor of using bone broth instead of regular beef broth.
TIP: If you like, you can add 1/2 cup red wine at the same step as the broth – some people consider red wine a must for beef stew. This will increase carb count though, and isn’t absolutely necessary. I skipped it for my stew to make it more kid friendly, too.
- Boil the easy low carb beef stew. Bring the stew to a boil and reduce heat. Cove and let it simmer until the beef is tender.
TIP: Simmering beef stew will take a while, at least 45-60 minutes, and it’s not a problem if you let it simmer for longer. Not to worry – you don’t have to stand by the stove, so this is a good time to meal prep other dishes or do something else around the house.
- Add celery root. When the beef is tender, add in the celery root and cook until tender.
TIP: We add the celery root at this later step so that it doesn’t get too mushy. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get soft, similar to boiling potatoes.
- Serve your healthy beef stew. Remove bay leaves from the beef stew keto recipe and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Is Beef Stew Healthy?
Yes, this easy homemade beef stew is healthy! It’s made with beef chuck stew meat, onion, carrots, garlic, celery root, beef bone broth, and diced tomatoes.
So much good stuff and just 11 grams net carbs in this hearty and satisfying low carb beef stew. While that is a bit more carbs than some keto soup recipes, it’s not bad for a hearty dinner that feels like a carb lover’s soup!
How To Thicken Beef Stew
This beef stew keto recipe doesn’t need any thickeners! It thickened up really nicely all on its own.
But, if you want it more of the consistency of gravy, you can add some gelatin. Here is how to do that after your keto stew is done cooking:
- In a medium bowl, sprinkle 1 tbsp gelatin over 1/3 cup water and let sit to bloom for 2-3 minutes.
- Ladle 1 cup hot liquid from the soup and whisk into the gelatin mixture until dissolved.
- Stir the gelatin mixture back into the pot of soup.
Can You Make Healthy Beef Stew Ahead?
Yes, you can definitely make this healthy beef stew recipe ahead. Most soups and stews taste even better the day after they have been made and this one is no exception!
Simply let it cool completely, and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Microwave or heat on the stove top until hot, once you’re ready to eat.
Can You Freeze Easy Beef Stew?
Yes, this recipe for keto beef stew freezes very well! Let it cool completely and then place in the freezer in a freezer bag or airtight container.
TIP: If you freeze your low carb stew in a bag, lay it flat in the freezer. Once it’s solid, you can store it vertically for easier access.
Let it thaw out overnight in the refrigerator and then heat in the microwave or stove top until hot. Serve!
What To Serve With Keto Beef Stew
This beef stew keto recipe is a meal-in-a-bowl, but if you’d like a veggie or bread side to go along with it, I’ve got you covered! Here are a few keto low carb side dishes to try:
- Keto Mashed Cauliflower – If you love your healthy beef stew with mashed potatoes, try this mashed cauliflower recipe for a low carb – but just as tasty – alternative.
- Italian Marinated Artichoke Salad – This bright salad is a fresh addition to hearty stew.
- Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts – This simple side dish is great for fall and winter dishes.
- 5-Ingredient Keto Bread – The easiest way to ensure you don’t leave a single drop of low carb beef stew in the bowl!
Tools To Make Low Carb Beef Stew:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Vegetable Peeler – A veggie peeler makes the vegetable prep for this low carb beef stew recipe easy!
- Dutch Oven – A sturdy dutch oven is helpful for keto stew meat recipes, this one is my favorite. Functional and gorgeous!
- Soup Bowls with Handles – These bowls are the perfect way to serve your quick and easy beef stew.
Reader Fave Keto Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Easy Low Carb Keto Beef Stew Recipe
This easy keto beef stew recipe takes just 10 minutes to prep, with a secret ingredient that tastes like potatoes. Low carb beef stew is rich and hearty - without the carbs!
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Season the beef with salt and pepper. (It will be a light amount because the broth will be salty.)
Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the beef in a single layer. (Work in batches if you can't get the beef in a single layer on the bottom of the pan.) Sear for about 8-10 minutes total per batch, moving only every few minutes after each side has well browned. Remove the beef and set aside on a plate.
Heat another tablespoon of oil in the same dutch oven. Add the onions and carrots. Saute for about 10 minutes, until soft and lightly browned.
Add the garlic and Italian seasoning. Saute for about a minute, until fragrant.
Place the beef back into the dutch oven. Add the broth, diced tomatoes, and whole bay leaves. Scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
Bring the beef stew to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 45-60 minutes, until beef is tender.
Add the celery root. Increase heat to bring to a boil again. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until tender.
Remove the bay leaves. Adjust salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Made this recipe? Leave a rating! ★★★★★
Serving size: 1 cup
Video Showing How To Make Easy Beef Stew:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Easy Beef Stew!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. We'd LOVE for you to share a link to this recipe, but please DO NOT COPY/PASTE the recipe instructions to social media or websites. You may share a photo with a link back instead.