FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
You’ll never guess the secret ingredient that is in this keto zuppa toscana soup! It tastes like potato, it looks like potato, it acts like potato… but this is low carb zuppa toscana, so we know it’s not potato. Can you guess what it is?
This recipe is based on my Italian sausage and kale soup, but that one doesn’t have a potato swap, which I thought was much needed for the best healthy zuppa toscana equivalent. Plus, in this version there’s an easy swap that makes it a whole30 zuppa toscana as well.
Keto zuppa toscana is a delicious and filling meal all by itself, but if you want a simple side and have room in your macros, try keto fathead dinner rolls, keto cheddar bay biscuits, or keto chaffles on the side.
THE EASY KETO FREEZER SYSTEM
Make 12 meals in 2 hours, plus recipes and freezer guides!
What Is Zuppa Toscana?
Zuppa toscana means “Tuscan soup”. In the U.S. today, probably the most popular rendition is the one from Olive Garden. The main ingredients in the classic version are sausage, onions, bacon, garlic, broth, cream, potatoes, and kale.
But if you’re low carb or just looking for a healthier version, you can totally make zuppa toscana at home yourself. For this keto zuppa toscana recipe, we’re swapping the potatoes for rutabagas!
Keto Zuppa Toscana Ingredients
This keto zuppa toscana copycat recipe is made with just 8 ingredients:
- Ground Italian sausage – Look for a pork sausage with minimal preservatives. You could also use turkey Italian sausage.
- Bacon – Make sure your bacon is sugar-free.
- Sweet onion – Sweet onion is best, but white or yellow will also work.
- Garlic – Use fresh or jarred garlic.
- Chicken broth – I like using free-range broth for best flavor.
- Rutabagas – This is the secret ingredient. Tastes like potatoes!
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Curly kale – Chop kale and discard any big chunks of stem.
- Heavy cream – But for paleo whole30 zuppa toscana, swap this with coconut cream instead.
How To Make Keto Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Brown sausage. In a large skillet, brown sausage and cook until cooked through. Drain any fat and set aside.
- Brown bacon. In a large dutch oven, brown bacon until cooked through and drain any fat.
- Saute aromatics. Add onions and garlic to dutch oven and saute for a few minutes.
- Simmer. Add chicken broth, rutabagas, salt and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until rutabagas are tender.
- Add kale and sausage. Add chopped kale and cooked sausage to dutch oven and simmer for a few minutes until kale is tender.
- Make it creamy. Stir in heavy cream and heat through before serving.
Low Carb Zuppa Toscana FAQs
Can you eat zuppa toscana on keto?
No, traditional zuppa toscana is made with potatoes, which makes it not keto friendly. Many creamy soups are also thickened with flour, which adds carbs and gluten.
This version swaps out the potatoes and uses no flour. It’s thick and creamy without it.
How many carbs in keto zuppa toscana soup?
Each serving of this keto zuppa toscana soup has just 8.8 grams net carbs, and is filling enough for a whole meal.
Is zuppa toscana paleo?
No, most versions wouldn’t be paleo, as they are made with potatoes (gray area for paleo) and dairy.
In this paleo whole30 zuppa toscana version, we’re using rutabagas in place of the potatoes and you can easily swap the heavy cream for coconut cream.
If you have leftovers or want to meal prep, store the soup in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze keto zuppa toscana?
Yes, you can freeze this soup for 2-3 months. However, for best results, leave out the cream until you are going to serve it.
Reheat the soup in the microwave or a saucepan, until hot.
More Keto Soup Recipes
If you like this low carb keto zuppa toscana soup recipe, you might also like some of these other keto soup recipes:
- Broccoli Cheese Soup – Made with just 5 ingredients, this is just like Panera’s!
- Keto Chili – The most popular soup recipe on Wholesome Yum! Add your favorite toppings.
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup – All the comfort of a pot pie, but in soup form. It’s so creamy!
- Stuffed Pepper Soup – Make this cozy and veggie-packed soup that’s ready in just 30 minutes.
Tools To Make Whole30 Zuppa Toscana
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Dutch Oven – This dutch oven is perfect for browning meats and making everything from braises to soups and stews.
- Souper Cubes – Easily freeze leftover dairy-free zuppa toscana in these silicone cubes that make storing perfect portions easy.
Keto Zuppa Toscana Soup Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Keto Zuppa Toscana Soup Recipe
This easy, low carb keto zuppa toscana soup recipe has a secret ingredient that's just like potatoes! Plus, it's rich and creamy, with just 10 minutes active prep time.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage for about 7-9 minutes, until cooked through. Drain any fat from the pan and set sausage aside.
In a large dutch oven over medium heat, add the sliced bacon and cook for 5-7 minutes, until cooked through. Drain any fat from dutch oven.
Add the onions and garlic and saute for 3-5 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, rutabagas, salt and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes, until rutabagas are tender.
Add the chopped kale and return the sausage to the pan. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, until kale is tender.
Add the heavy cream and heat through.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
Video Showing How To Make Keto Zuppa Toscana:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Keto Zuppa Toscana!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂