FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 170,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This Italian sausage kale soup recipe is comfort food in a bowl! With its creamy broth loaded with plenty of Italian sausage and kale, it’s healthy and oh-so-delicious. And while it just happens to be a keto kale soup (and one of my new favorite keto soup recipes!), it’s also hearty and super flavorful for anyone to enjoy.
How To Make Sausage Kale Soup
One of the reasons this is the best sausage kale soup recipe? It takes just 30 minutes to make! Here’s how:
- Trim kale. Just remove the woody stems and coarsely chop.
- Brown sausage. Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add ground sausage and cook, breaking apart with a spatula until browned.
- Cook vegetables. Use a slotted spoon to remove the sausage to a plate, leaving the oil in the pan. Saute onions and carrots in the oil, until they start to brown.
- Brown garlic. Make a well in the center of the pan. Add the minced garlic and saute just until fragrant, then stir in with the onions.
- Deglaze pan. Immediately add the chicken broth and use a wooden spoon to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and simmer.
- Add kale. Add chopped kale and sausage back into the pan and simmer.
- Add cream cheese. Turn soup off and immediately ladle out 2 cups of hot broth into a blender. Add the cream cheese, and blend until melted. Stir back into soup and serve.
Italian Sausage Kale Soup Recipe FAQs
What kind of kale is best for soup?
Kale is one of the best kinds of greens for soup, since it’s sturdy and delicious when wilted. I used curly kale, but you can also use lacinato kale (a.k.a. tuscan or dinosaur kale) or redbor kale.
Avoid baby kale here – that’s too delicate and best for baby kale salad instead!
Is Italian sausage kale soup keto friendly?
Yes, each filling serving of this Italian sausage kale soup has just 7.6 grams net carbs. It’s a meal in a bowl!
Can you make keto sausage soup dairy-free?
Yes, you could swap out the cream cheese for a coconut cream to make this creamy Italian sausage soup dairy-free.
You can also make it a more broth-based soup by just skipping the cream cheese altogether. (You can see what that looks like a little further up in the photo before cream cheese was added.)
Keto Kale Soup Storage Instructions
Can you make it ahead?
Yes! Soups store really well, so you can make this low carb Italian sausage kale soup a few days ahead.
How to store Italian soup with kale
Store this sausage kale soup recipe in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Can you freeze sausage and kale soup?
Yes, you can also freeze keto kale soup. Store in a freezer container and store for 2-3 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
How to reheat keto sausage soup
Reheat this keto kale soup in the microwave or on the stove top, until hot.
More Keto Soup Recipes
If you like this Italian sausage and kale soup recipe, you might also like some of these other low carb and keto soup recipes:
- Keto Pho – No need to spend hours on pho, this recipe is ready in just 35 minutes. Tastes like it came from a restaurant.
- Keto Egg Drop Soup – Just 6 ingredients to make and less than 10 minutes from start to slurp.
- Keto Beef Stew – Swapping out the potatoes for a secret ingredient that tastes like potatoes! Rich and hearty, without the carbs.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup – Just 5 ingredients and the most popular soup on my site.
- Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup – This easy soup is rich and creamy and made with a secret ingredient.
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
Tools To Make Low Carb Sausage Kale Soup:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Onion Chopper – Easily chop or dice onions and veggies with this tool.
- Dutch Oven – You need a heavy bottom pot for this sausage kale soup recipe. This is my favorite.
- Blender – The best blender… use it for the last step in this kale soup recipe! Of course, it’s also great for keto smoothies, soups, and even making nut butters.
Italian Sausage Kale Soup Recipe
This hearty Italian sausage kale soup recipe is ready in just 30 minutes! Keto kale soup is loaded with flavor, greens and a creamy broth.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Get RECIPE TIPS in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Add the onions and carrots to the pan. Saute for 8-10 minutes, until onions are starting to brown.
Make a well in the center of the pan. Add the minced garlic and saute for about 1-2 minutes, until fragrant, then stir in with the onions.
Immediately add the chicken broth and use a wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan (this is called deglazing). Bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the chopped kale and return the sausage to the pan. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
Turn off the heat. Immediately ladle out 2 cups (473 ml) of hot broth into a blender. Add the cream cheese, and blend until melted.
Return the broth and cream cheese mixture to the dutch oven and stir until smooth.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
Video Showing How To Make Italian Sausage Kale Soup:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Italian Sausage Kale Soup!
Want some moral support or recipe help?
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂