This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
I have plenty of potato substitutes here on Wholesome Yum, from mashed cauliflower to jicama fries, and of course roasted potatoes are always an easy side dish loved by all. But when you want the comfort factor of real potatoes with a bit more nutrition, this oven roasted sweet potatoes recipe is the way to go! Roasting sweet potatoes requires only a few ingredients and my kids absolutely love them — your family will, too.
Why You’ll Love This Roasted Sweet Potato Recipe
- Crispy and caramelized on the outside
- Perfect fork tender texture on the inside
- Sweet and savory seasonings to amp up the flavor
- Basic ingredients
- 10-minute prep
- Easy alternative to french fries or regular potatoes
- Versatile side for a variety of healthy main dishes for dinner
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for roasting sweet potatoes, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
Some considerations when choosing and preparing sweet potatoes to roast:
- Variety – Garnet or jewel varieties, with their reddish skin and orange flesh, work best for roasting and you can find them at most grocery stores. You can also substitute yams, which are similar to sweet potatoes, but less sweet.
- Skin – It’s up to you if you want to peel them or leave the skin on. Keep in mind that the skin is packed with nutrients, including potassium, calcium, vitamin C, and fiber.
- Chopping – I cut the potatoes into 1-inch chunks, but you can do sweet potato wedges if you prefer.
- Olive Oil – Helps the potatoes hold onto the seasonings, keeps them from sticking to the baking dish, and allows them caramelize. You can substitute any neutral oil you prefer.
- Brown Sugar – This is optional, if you like more sweetness. I typically avoid refined sugar, so I use Besti Brown Monk Fruit Allulose Blend instead, but you can also omit altogether. You could also substitute honey or maple syrup if you like.
- Garlic – Mince fresh garlic cloves for the best flavor. If you are in a hurry, you can use jarred minced garlic instead, or a teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Cinnamon – Adds a sweet and woody flavor with a slight citrusy note to sweet potato cubes. For even deeper flavor, try swapping it with homemade pumpkin pie spice or savory spices like cumin and paprika.
- Sea Salt – I recommend sea salt instead of kosher salt for better flavor, but either works. The salt also helps them crisp up.
- Black Pepper
- Butter – Gives the potatoes a richer flavor and adds a little moisture to them after roasting.
- Fresh Herbs – Parsley or thyme add a burst of fresh flavor and aroma to the finished dish.
VARIATION: Make it spicy!
Swap cinnamon with chili powder or cayenne pepper.
How To Roast Sweet Potatoes In The Oven
This section shows how to make roasted sweet potatoes, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with olive oil.
- Season. Cut and arrange sweet potato cubes in the baking dish. (Don’t crowd the pan too much — ideally no more than 2 layers of cubes.) Drizzle with oil, and add the brown sugar or Besti Brown (if using), minced garlic, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Stir to coat.
- Bake. Roast sweet potatoes in the oven, stirring halfway through, until fork tender.
- Top. If using optional toppings: Place pats of butter over the potatoes while they are still hot and let it melt. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and thyme. Stir to coat.
How Long To Roast Sweet Potatoes?
Roasting sweet potatoes in the oven will take about 35-40 minutes.
What Temp To Roast Sweet Potatoes?
The higher the temperature, the sweeter your potato will be. For a sweeter potato, 425 degrees F is the ideal temperature. But, if you want less sweet fork tender, crispy skinned, roasted sweet potatoes, 400 degrees F is the ideal temperature to use.
Tips For The Best Roasted Sweet Potatoes
If you want to make this the best oven roasted sweet potato recipe, follow these tried and true tips:
- Cut potato cubes to the same size. This ensures that the cubes cook at the same rate.
- Soak potato cubes if time allows. This step is not required, but it removes excess starch which gives the potato cubes a crispy exterior. To do this, soak the diced potatoes in cold water for at least 30 minutes before cooking, or overnight. Pat them dry before adding oil and seasonings.
- Don’t crowd the pan too much. Two layers in a 9×13 baking dish is fine as long as you stir halfway through. You can also use a baking sheet instead for even more browning, and in this case stirring is less important if the potatoes are in a single layer.
- Don’t use parchment paper. This is not necessary for a baking dish anyway, but even if using a sheet pan, leave it unlined or use foil and grease well. Parchment paper will inhibit browning and caramelization.
- Position the oven rack correctly. Place the oven rack in the center of the oven for even heat distribution.
- Doubling or tripling the recipe? Use multiple baking dishes so potatoes can cook evenly and become slightly crispy.
- Store: Keep leftovers in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
- Meal prep: Cut up potato cubes, then keep them submerged in a bowl of water in the fridge. This prevents browning, and will also help make your potatoes crispy when you cook them. Drain and pat dry before roasting.
- Reheat: Warm this roasted sweet potato recipe in a skillet on high heat, or in the oven at 350 degrees F, to crisp them up. Alternatively, you can put them in the microwave, but they won’t be crispy that way.
Can You Freeze Roasted Sweet Potatoes?
Yes, you can freeze leftover sweet potatoes for up to 3 months. Keep in mind that the potato texture may change.
What To Serve With Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
These potatoes can truly go with everything!
- Poultry – Share crispy roasted sweet potatoes with chicken recipes such as pan-fried chicken thighs, air fryer chicken wings, or chicken leg quarters. Or, serve them for the holidays with Thanksgiving turkey or slow cooker turkey breast on Thanksgiving day!
- Beef – This recipe pairs beautifully with a juicy sirloin steak, New York strip, or a filet mignon.
- Seafood – Try these roasted sweet potato cubes with baked salmon (shown above with some toppings!) or lemon cod for simple fish options, or for a special meal, pair them with sea bass or crab legs.
- Breakfast – Instead of roasted potatoes, serve these sweet potato cubes with eggs benedict casserole, cloud eggs, baked eggs, or an omelette.
- Simple Salads – Add sweet potatoes to a spinach bacon salad, kale crunch salad, or swap for squash in butternut squash salad.
- Bowl Meals – Serve sweet potato cubes with farro, rice, or quinoa and toppings like tahini sauce to make an easy grain bowl. I love serving these over cauliflower rice as well.
More Healthy Roasted Vegetable Recipes
Roasted vegetables make healthy sides for almost any main course. Once you master how to roast a sweet potato, try some of my other healthy roasted vegetable recipes:
Tools For Roasting Sweet Potatoes
- Baking Dish – Ensures even cooking and perfectly holds 24 oz of cubed sweet potatoes.
Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Roasted Sweet Potatoes Recipe (Crispy & Easy!)
Learn how to roast sweet potatoes – irresistably crispy, sweet, caramelized, and tender – with this easy oven roasted sweet potatoes recipe!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Basic Roasted Sweet Potatoes:
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
If you have time, soak the potatoes in cold water for at least 30 minutes, or overnight in the fridge. Drain and pat dry. You can skip the soaking step, but it makes the sweet potatoes more crispy.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with olive oil.
Arrange the sweet potato cubes in an even layer in the baking dish. Add olive oil, brown sugar or Besti Brown (if using), minced garlic, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Stir to evenly coat the sweet potatoes.
Roast sweet potatoes in the oven for about 40 minutes, stirring gently halfway through, until the potatoes are fork-tender and lightly browned.
If using optional toppings: Place pats of butter over the roasted sweet potatoes while they are still hot and let it melt. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and thyme. Stir to coat.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition info uses Besti Brown (natural brown sugar substitute) for the brown sugar, but you can use regular brown sugar or omit the sugar altogether.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂