This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Roasting chickpeas unlocks a whole world of new flavors and textures using simple pantry staples! This oven roasted chickpeas recipe, sometimes called roasted garbanzo beans, gets super crispy (similar to lupini beans), to satisfy that craving for crunch. It makes the perfect stunning garnish or quick snack.
Not to mention there are multiple ways ways to season them! I have several ideas for you below. Once you learn how to roast chickpeas, you’ll want to keep this recipe on hand for easy, healthy snacks.
Why You’ll Love This Oven Roasted Chickpeas Recipe
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for crispy roasted chickpeas, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
Basic Roasted Chickpeas:
- Chickpeas – These are also known as garbanzo beans. I recommend plain canned chickpeas for less fuss. (No need to rinse them — just drain and pat dry), but you can rinse if you want to.) However, if you prefer to use dried chickpeas, soak them in water for 12 hours, then drain, rinse, and boil on the stove for 90 minutes to 2 hours before using in this recipe.
- Avocado Oil – Makes the roast chickpeas recipe crispy. You can also use extra virgin olive oil, or any heat-safe cooking oil you like.
- Sea Salt
Chipotle Seasoned Version:
In addition to the above, you’ll also need these ingredients if you want to make your roasted garbanzo beans recipe spicy:
- Chipotle In Adobo Puree – This pepper puree has a rich, smoky spice without any added sugar or processed oils. If you can only find whole chipotles in adobo and want to use those, simply puree in a blender or food processor.
- Cumin – For added smoky flavor.
This recipe makes classic spicy roasted chickpeas, but try these delicious flavor swaps:
- Curry chickpeas – Swap the cumin and chipotles with up to 1 tablespoon of your favorite curry powder.
- Taco – The smoky flavors of chili powder, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, and cayenne pair perfectly with chickpeas. Use up to 2 teaspoons of taco seasoning in place of the cumin and pepper paste.
- Lemon Pepper – Swap chipotle and cumin for 1-2 teaspoons of lemon pepper seasoning (a blend of pepper, thyme, and lemon zest).
- Chili Lime – Use 1-2 teaspoons of chili powder and add a tablespoon of lime juice, along with the avocado oil and salt.
If your seasoning contains salt, you can also omit the salt in the recipe.
How To Roast Chickpeas In The Oven
This section shows how to make roasted chickpeas, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Dry. Drain the canned chickpeas and pat dry.
- Season. Toss garbanzo beans with oil, pepper puree, cumin, and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Spread. Transfer seasoned chickpeas to a large baking sheet and spread into a single layer.
- Oven roast chickpeas. Roast, shaking the pan 1-2 times during cooking, until crispy.
How Long To Roast Chickpeas?
Chickpeas need 25-35 minutes in a 400 degree F oven to become roasted and crispy. You can add cooking time, in 5-minute intervals, if they have not turned crisp after 35 minutes. Keep in mind they will crisp up more as they cool.
Tips For The Best Roasted Chickpeas
- Dry them well. Make sure you thoroughly drain chickpeas and pat dry with paper towels before seasoning. Otherwise, their moisture will create steam in the oven and not yield crispy results.
- Give them breathing room. It’s important that your chickpeas are spread in a single layer on the sheet pan, with spaces between some of them. They need air flow to crisp up!
- Skip the parchment paper. I recommend roasting chickpeas directly on the baking sheet, because they crisp up better that way. Foil also works. They can still crisp up using parchment, but less so, and may take longer.
How To Store Roasted Chickpeas?
Although best enjoyed fresh, you can store this roast chickpeas recipe at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- Reheat: You can serve roasted garbanzo beans at room temperature, or warm in the oven until they regain some of their crispy texture.
- Freeze: Dry roasted chickpeas won’t keep their crispness after freezing, but they can safely be frozen. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze until solid, then transfer to a freezer-safe container for long-term storage. Thaw overnight and reheat in the oven to get back some (but not all) of the crispy texture before serving.
More Healthy Snack Recipes
Craving more snacks? Use simple ingredients to create these easy recipes.
Oven Roasted Chickpeas Recipe
Oven Roasted Chickpeas Recipe (Crispy & Easy!)
This easy oven roasted chickpeas recipe is SUPER CRISPY! Learn how to roast chickpeas, plus the best seasonings for roasting chickpeas.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
In a large bowl, toss the chickpeas with avocado oil, chipotle in adobo puree, ground cumin, and sea salt. (The chipotle puree and cumin are optional. If you can only find whole chipotles in adobo and want to use those, simply puree in a blender or food processor.)
Spread the chickpeas in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
Roast chickpeas in the oven for 25-35 minutes, shaking the pan a few times along the way, until crispy.
Allow roasted chickpeas to cool completely. (They will crisp up more as they cool.)
Store in a glass jar or airtight container.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Makes 3 cups.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂