FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERSGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Oven roasted vegetables make an appearance on our dinner table at least once a week, usually more often. Today, I’m showing you my go-to easy roasted brussels sprouts recipe. It’s perfect for fall, but let’s be real, you’re going to make this all year round. While pan fried brussels sprouts do get more crispy than roasting, I wanted to show you how to cook brussels sprouts in the oven, because it’s a lot less work! And I promise, you can still get perfectly crispy brussels sprouts every time using this method.
How To Cook Brussels Sprouts In The Oven
This delicious roasted brussels sprouts recipe takes just 10 minutes to prep, and the rest of the time is hands-off:
- Prep baking sheets. Line an extra large baking sheet (or two small ones) with parchment paper or foil.
TIP: Foil or a bare pan does produce slightly more browned brussels sprouts. However, I often opt for parchment paper for easier cleanup and to avoid having foil touch my food. It’s up to you!
- Prep brussels sprouts. Slice the sprouts in half lengthwise, then toss them in olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange. Arrange the brussels sprouts in a single layer on the pan.
TIP: Make sure each sprout is touching the pan – this is the trick to crispy brussels sprouts!
- Roast. Roast brussels sprouts in the oven, tossing halfway through, until browned and slightly charred. (Recommended time is on the recipe card below!)
TIP: For extra dark crispy brussels sprouts, pop them under the broiler at the end.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts FAQs
How long to roast brussels sprouts?
This crispy brussels sprouts recipe roasts for about 25-35 minutes at 400 degrees F, until slightly charred.
FYI: The exact cooking time will vary a bit because of brussels sprout size and how you like them done.
If you like the absolute crispiest brussels sprouts that are extra charred, place them under the broiler at the end.
Can you roast frozen brussels sprouts?
Yes, but the method is different. Check my post for how to roast frozen brussels sprouts here.
What do brussels sprouts taste like?
They can be bitter or limp if you boil or microwave them, so you’re much better off roasting brussels sprouts. For the same reason, pan fried brussels sprouts are delicious as well. Or you can try pickled brussels sprouts for a different flavor.
Oven roasted brussels sprouts have crispy, browned outer leaves, with a tender inside. When you roast them, they become sweeter and develop a delicious smoky, caramelized, nutty flavor.
Why are my brussels sprouts mushy or not browning?
You need two things for perfect crispy brussels sprouts: high temperature and air flow. So, to avoid mushy sprouts that are steamed instead of roasted, be sure to:
- Roast the sprouts at 400 degrees. Lower temperatures will cook them more slowly, reducing browning.
- Use a baking sheet large enough to keep them in a single layer. Each brussels sprout must be touching the pan, and if possible, space between them is ideal.
When are brussels sprouts in season?
Brussels sprouts are found in stores all year round, but the peak season for them is September through February. That works out perfectly, because oven roasted brussels sprouts are perfect for holiday celebrations and for cold-weather comfort food!
Crispy Brussels Sprouts Storage Instructions
Can you make them ahead?
Yes, this easy brussels sprouts recipe can be made ahead, but it takes just a few minutes to prep, so I would recommend baking them right before serving so they come out of the oven hot and crispy!
If you’d like to prep them ahead, you can slice the brussels in half lengthwise and then toss with oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Then all you need to do is bake when ready.
How to store crispy roasted brussels sprouts
If you have leftover brussels sprouts, store them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze roasted brussels?
Yes, you can also freeze crispy brussels sprouts for 2-3 months. However, they will be more mushy after thawing and reheating.
How to reheat oven roasted brussels sprouts
For best results, you can reheat brussels sprouts in the oven at 400 degrees F, until hot, or pan fry them to revive some of the crispness. The microwave works to reheat, but they won’t be crispy anymore.
What To Serve With Brussels Sprouts
Roasted brussels sprouts pair perfectly with common proteins and with holiday meals, such as:
- Steak – Try them with sirloin steak, flank steak, or filet mignon.
- Chicken – Such as baked chicken breast or chicken drumsticks.
- Pork – Brussels sprouts are delicious with pork chops or pork tenderloin.
- Holiday centerpieces – Like garlic butter roasted turkey, prime rib roast, or for a vegetarian option, whole roasted cauliflower.
- Hearty side dishes – Mashed potatoes are great for those who eat them, but around here we swap in mashed cauliflower or loaded cauliflower casserole.
More Healthy Roasted Vegetable Recipes
If you like this roasted brussels sprouts recipe, you might also like some of my other healthy roasted vegetable recipes:
- Roasted Asparagus – Ready in just 20 minutes, no wonder it’s a reader favorite!
- Roasted Eggplant – The most delicious way to eat eggplant, with delicious caramelized edges.
- Low Carb Fries – Guess what veggies make these crispy-on-the-outside and soft-on-the-inside fries!
- Oven Roasted Vegetables – A variety of roasted veggies that you can eat hot, cold, or even over salads.
- Roasted Zucchini – Perfect roasted zucchini, made with just 4 ingredients.
Tools To Make Crispy Brussels Sprouts
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Baking Sheet – I love these sheet pans for everything from keto chocolate chip cookies to roasted brussels sprouts in the oven. Amazing quality and made in the USA.
How To Roast Brussels Sprouts In The Oven:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Learn how to cook brussels sprouts in the oven that are CRISPY every time! This easy roasted brussels sprouts recipe takes just 10 minutes to prep.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a large bowl, toss the brussels sprouts with olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Arrange the brussels sprouts in a single layer on the pan(s), making sure each sprout is touching the pan.
Roast brussels sprouts for about 25-35 minutes, tossing halfway through, until browned and slightly charred.
Optional step: If you want them even more browned or crispy, place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
*This crispy brussels sprouts recipe starts with 6 cups of raw brussels sprouts, but you get 4 cups of roasted brussels sprouts. Serving size is 1 cup cooked.
Video Showing How To Make Roasted Brussels Sprouts:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Roasted Brussels Sprouts!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂