Free: Healthy Freezer Meals Recipe EbookGet It Now
This oven roasted brussels sprouts recipe is one of my favorite ways to turn ordinary veggies into an impressive (but oh-so-simple) side dish! Although other veggies like eggplant, spaghetti squash, green beans, and rutabaga make an appearance on our dinner table at least once a week, this is a flavor-packed alternative when you want something more green and leafy.
Once you learn how to roast brussels sprouts in the oven, you’ll never want to boil or microwave them again. They get crispy and caramelized… nothing like that boiled, lifeless stuff you may remember from childhood. Even my 7-year-old loves these!
Why You’ll Love This Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Smoky, caramelized, nutty flavor
- Crispy, browned outer leaves, with a tender inside
- Super simple ingredients
- Just 10 minutes to prep
- Easier than pan frying
- The perfect side dish for a special occasion, holiday celebrations, or cold-weather comfort food
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for oven baked brussels sprouts, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Brussels Sprouts – Remove any damaged or yellow leaves before slicing in half. Keep in mind that smaller ones are more sweet than large ones and may take less time to roast. For larger ones, you may want to cut them into quarters, so that there’s more surface area for browning.
- Olive Oil – I prefer extra virgin olive oil for oven roasted brussels sprouts, but use your favorite neutral cooking oil (avocado oil also works great!).
- Seasonings – Garlic powder, sea salt (or kosher salt), and black pepper. You can also add cayenne pepper if you like more spice.
How To Roast Brussels Sprouts In The Oven
This section shows how to cook brussels sprouts in the oven, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prep. Line an extra large baking sheet (or two small ones) with parchment paper or foil, if desired. Slice sprouts in half lengthwise, or into quarters for larger ones. Toss them in olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange. Place the brussels sprouts in a single layer on the pan.
- Roast. Cook brussels sprouts in the oven, tossing halfway through, until browned and slightly charred.
How Long To Roast Brussels Sprouts?
Exact brussels sprout cooking time will vary depending on sprout size and preferred doneness. You can expect to roast brussels sprouts for about 25-35 minutes at 400 degrees F, until slightly charred.
Tips For The Best Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
To avoid bitter or limp sprouts, follow these tips:
- Foil or a bare pan works best. This produces more browned brussels sprouts, but parchment paper works if you don’t want foil touching your food and still want easy cleanup. (I opted for parchment paper this time as shown in the photos, but often do use foil as well.)
- Make sure each sprout is touching the pan, ideally with space between them. This is the trick to crispy oven roasted brussels sprouts! If the pan is too crowded, they will steam instead of caramelizing. So make sure your baking sheet is large enough, or use multiple if you have to.
- Roast the sprouts at high heat (400 degrees). Lower temperatures will cook them more slowly, reducing browning and making their texture more mushy and steamed.
- Broil for extra dark and crispy results. If you like the absolute crispiest brussels sprouts that are extra charred, place them under the broiler at the end for a few minutes.
- Use a different method if roasting from frozen. Follow my recipe for roasted frozen brussels sprouts instead.
Add these sauces and garnishes when roasting brussels sprouts for even more flavor:
- Bacon – A great way to use up leftover bacon in the oven or bacon in the air fryer! Just sprinkle on top. You can also add raw chopped bacon directly to the pan before roasting the sprouts, or try my bacon brussels sprouts recipe instead.
- Cheese – Top your veggies with shredded or grated parmesan cheese, or dip in cheese sauce.
- Honey Or Maple Syrup – I use sugar-free honey and sugar-free maple syrup, but conventional varieties taste great drizzled on top as well. You can add them at the end or before roasting.
- Balsamic Glaze – My favorite topping for oven roasted brussels sprouts when I want to add a little something. Make a quick glaze from balsamic vinegar and add a tablespoon or two on top for a rich flavor boost.
- Store: Keep leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Meal prep: Slice the brussels in half lengthwise and then toss with oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Store for up to 24 hours. Bake when ready.
- Reheat: Warm brussels sprouts in the oven at 400 degrees F, until hot, or pan fry them to revive some of the crispness. The microwave works to reheat, but they won’t be crispy anymore.
- Freeze: You can freeze this baked brussels sprouts recipe for 2-3 months. However, they will be more mushy after thawing and reheating.
What To Serve With Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Crispy roasted brussels sprouts pair perfectly with common proteins and with holiday meals, such as:
- Steak – Try sprouts with sirloin steak, flank steak, reverse sear steak, or filet mignon.
- Chicken – Such as baked chicken breast, crispy chicken thighs, or chicken drumsticks.
- Pork – Oven roasted brussels sprouts go well with with baked pork chops or pork tenderloin.
- Holiday Centerpieces – Serve alongside a Thanksgiving turkey, prime rib roast, or for a vegetarian option, whole baked cauliflower.
- Hearty Side Dishes – Mashed potatoes are great for those who eat them, but around here we swap in mashed cauliflower or loaded cauliflower casserole.
- Bowl Meals – Mix this crispy brussels sprouts recipe with any other fresh or leftover roasted vegetables (such as roasted asparagus or roasted zucchini), and spoon the mixture over a bed of rice or caulifower rice with a drizzle of tahini sauce.
More Easy Brussels Sprouts Recipes
These little green veggies make some of my favorite healthy side dishes! Once you learn how to bake brussels sprouts, try these versions next time:
- Baking Sheet – This sheet pan is the only one I use for roasting veggies. Amazing quality and made in the USA.
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts (So Crispy!)
This easy oven roasted brussels sprouts recipe is super fast to prep, with simple ingredients. Caramelized and crispy every time!
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a large bowl, toss the brussels sprouts with olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Arrange the brussels sprouts in a single layer on the pan(s), making sure each sprout is touching the pan.
Roast brussels sprouts for about 25-35 minutes, tossing halfway through, until browned and slightly charred.
Optional step: If you want them even more browned or crispy, place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1 cup
*This crispy brussels sprouts recipe starts with 6 cups of raw brussels sprouts, but you get 4 cups of roasted brussels sprouts. Serving size is 1 cup cooked.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂