This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This post is sponsored by Eaton Hemp. All opinions are my own and I only share products I personally love. Thanks for supporting the brands that make this site possible!
If you’re on the fence about kale, let me tell you, this kale crunch salad will turn it around for you. I’ve got a special technique to remove the bitterness, plus a sweet maple dressing and the best crunchy toppings: dried cranberries, sliced almonds, and hemp hearts!
I’m so happy to partner with my friends at Eaton Hemp to bring you my best kale salad recipe yet! Hemp hearts make a delicious addition to recipes when you need a boost of healthy fats and also give this kale crunch salad the best texture.
Be sure to try the keto yogurt and keto hemp milk made with Eaton hemp hearts as well. They make healthy eating a breeze.
Get Eaton Hemp Hearts Here
(Use code WHOLESOMEYUM to save 30%!)
What Is Kale Crunch Salad?
Just like it sounds, kale crunch salad is a salad made with kale and crunchy toppings! The name was popularized by a certain fast food chain, but the homemade version is much healthier.
Kale Salad Ingredients
This crunch kale salad recipe is made with just 4 ingredients, plus the dressing:
- Curly kale – I’ve used curly kale, but see below for other options. Make sure to discard any thick stems (especially if you buy it already chopped!).
- Dried cranberries – I make my own sugar-free dried cranberries (it’s way easier than it sounds!), but the kind at the store will do. Just know they typically have a lot of sugar added.
- Eaton Hemp Hearts – The hemp hearts add a major nutrition boost and crunch.
- Almonds – I prefer sliced almonds for this type of salad, but slivered will work as well. For a nut-free option, try sunflower seeds… or simply more hemp hearts!
Kale salad dressing:
- Sugar-Free Maple Syrup – All the maple flavor, none of the sugar and carbs. Of course, if you aren’t avoiding sugar like me, you can use regular maple syrup here.
- Apple cider vinegar – This gives the dressing great flavor, but you could also use red wine vinegar.
- Dijon mustard – This helps the dressing to emulsify, don’t skip it.
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Olive oil
How To Make Kale Crunch Salad
- Make dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Slowly pour olive oil into the bowl while whisking constantly, until emulsified.
- Massage kale. Pour chopped kale into large bowl and drizzle with dressing. Massage dressing into the leaves until kale is no longer rigid.
FYI: Massaging is the key to avoiding bitter kale! It makes the leaves more tender, easier to chew, and less bitter. The only kind of kale that doesn’t require this is baby kale.
- Add toppings. Sprinkle on cranberries, hemp hearts, and almonds. Toss and enjoy!
Crunchy Kale Salad FAQs
Which kale is best for salads?
I’ve used curly kale in this salad, and it’s the most common kale, but you can also use lacinato kale or red kale if you have access to those varieties.
Can you eat raw kale in salads?
Yes, raw kale is great in salads! Raw kale can be tough, which is why we massage the dressing into the leaves. It starts to break the kale down and will make the leaves more tender.
Don’t skip this step!
Can you make this nut-free?
Yes, simply swap out the almonds for sunflower seeds or extra hemp hearts.
Can you use a different dressing?
Sure! You just need one that contains both oil and an acid (like vinegar or lemon juice) to soften the kale. Zesty Italian dressing would also pair well here.
One of the best things about making kale salad is unlike other greens, you can make it ahead, even with the dressing!
In fact, it will last in the fridge for up to a week. However, if you’re making it more than a day in advance, you might want to add the crunchy hemp hearts and almonds right before serving, so that they maintain their crunch.
More Healthy Salad Recipes
If you like this recipe for kale crunch salad, you might also like some of these other salad recipes:
- Creamy Cucumber Salad – Simple, refreshing, and made with just a few common ingredients.
- Best Greek Salad – This salad is loaded with flavor and crunch, top it with a juicy chicken breast to make it a full meal.
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh – While traditional tabbouleh is made with wheat, this version uses cauliflower for a healthy, vegetable-filled salad.
- Israeli Salad – This salad goes with anything, is made with basic ingredients, and takes just 10 minutes to make.
- Butternut Squash Salad – Made with kale leaves, dried cranberries, and of course butternut squash, this salad is a flavorful combo perfect for fall. For the ultimate fall treat, pair it with butternut squash soup.
Easy Kale Crunch Salad Recipe
Kale Crunch Salad Recipe
This kale crunch salad is loaded with curly kale, a homemade vinaigrette, and sweet and savory crunchy toppings! Ready in 10 minutes.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper.
Pour the olive oil into the bowl in a thin stream, whisking constantly, until emulsified.
Place the chopped kale into a large bowl. Pour the dressing over it and massage with your hands for 2-3 minutes, until kale is no longer rigid.
Add the cranberries, hemp hearts, and almonds. Toss to coat.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram, or in our Facebook support group, too - I'd love to see it!
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
I liked this recipe but thought there was too much olive oil. I had to take the kale out of the bowl and drain the pieces because I thought it was too wet. The flavor was wonderful but I will reduce the olive oil next tine
I could eat this every day!!!! Made for Thanksgiving dinner was amazing… also made your cranberries.
Cann you substitute hemp seeds and use White sesame seeds?
Wholesome Yum D0
Hi Laura, Yes those substitutes would work great.
This is my kind of salad, crunchy kale, almonds and a light and delicious dressing. I love the maple syrup flavor in it.
I need to give kale another try. I did not know about massaging kale before I tried it. I think this may be the key for me to enjoy it because this recipe looks amazing! Thanks for sharing your tips. I love your recipes!
I am always looking for kale recipes and this salad ticked all of the boxes! It was fresh, flavourful and easy to prepare. I will definitely be making this again.
This is my kind of salad! I’m new to hemp hearts and love them. And the maple dressing sounds delicious! I can’t wait to make this one.
Lori | The Kitchen Whisperer0
Oh what a lovely salad! This is perfect for those hot summer days when you want something yummy, light, and delicious! That dressing is divine!
What a beautiful recipe, kale always goes so well with cranberries. We will be making this again and again
This kale crunch salad is amazing! I love experimenting with salads and the combinations in this one is very tempting. Thank you for sharing this recipe!
Loved the crunch of this salad. I’ve been eating too many “soft” salads and was really looking for something with a bit more texture. This was great!
Looks delicous love the kale crunch salad.
This salad just feels so good eating it! And, it tastes amazing! Love the taste!
Been on a kale salad kick lately! Can’t wait to try this version with this yummy dressi!
Crunchy, tasty, healthy, & my kind of salad!!
Absolutely delicious! I love that I can mix this up on Sunday and have it for lunches all week without it getting soggy.
I love the crunch factor of this salad. It’s so fresh, delicious, and filling!
Kale salad might be one of my favourite salads around. I am drooling over this one, I am definitely giving this a go! Thanks for the recipe 🙂
I love kale salad and this one is so tasty!
This salad is amazing and so delicious! My daughter and I love it! Made it a couple nights ago and it did not disappoint! Making this again!
This is such a great salad to make ahead and keep in the refrigerator for quick, healthy lunches. I love the addition of hemp hearts! I’ve started sprinkling hemp over all my salads now.
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry0
This sounds like such a deliciously crunchy salad and so quick and easy to make too! Perfect when you’re pushed for time.
My neighbor grows kale and shares, so I’m always looking for new ways to use it – this looks wonderful!
Amy L Huntley0
This salad is so light and refreshing! I absolutely loved the dressing and the crunch of the almonds and hemp seeds!
I love how easy this is to make and that dressing is delicious!