FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERSGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This is my go-to healthy and easy salmon marinade recipe, and once you try it, I bet it will be yours, too. It’s my best salmon marinade for grilled salmon, but I also love it for baked or seared salmon as well. It’s slightly sweet, slightly savory, majorly flavorful, and super simple.
Salmon Marinade Ingredients
- Olive oil – I chose extra virgin olive oil for flavor, but avocado oil is suitable here too.
- Lemon juice – The acid helps to tenderize the salmon, plus the tang of citrus pairs very well with fish.
- Maple syrup – I use Wholesome Yum Keto Maple Syrup, which is naturally sweetened, sugar-free, and tastes just like real maple syrup. But you can use regular too if that works for you.
- Fresh herbs – I used dill and parsley, as these summer herbs work well on fish. Look for bright, leafy herbs that aren’t turning yellow. Dark green will have the most flavor. You could use dried herbs in a pinch (1/3 the amount of fresh), but for salmon fresh herbs work best.
- Garlic – Use fresh minced garlic, or jarred to save a few minutes.
- Sea salt – Salt helps the marinade penetrate into the fish.
- Black pepper
How To Make Salmon Marinade
This homemade salmon marinade recipe is beyond simple: simply mix all the ingredients together!
How To Use Salmon Marinade
Once the grilled salmon marinade is mixed together, transfer it to a large zip lock bag or baking dish, add the salmon, and move it around to coat in marinade.
TIP: Marinate salmon for 30 minutes ideally. An hour is the max. After that, the acid in the lemon will start “cooking” the salmon (like a ceviche), so you don’t want to marinate it too long or it will get mushy.
You can definitely mix together the marinade a day or two in advance, but wait to marinate the fish until 30 minutes before cooking.
How long can you marinate salmon?
30 minutes is the ideal time to marinate salmon, but you can go up to 60 minutes. The marinade will start to break down the fish, and if you marinate it for longer than an hour, it will start to get mushy.
Can you freeze salmon in marinade?
No, you don’t want to freeze the salmon in the marinade, as it will surpass the 60 minute time limit. The acid will break down the salmon even if it’s frozen.
What To Serve With Salmon
Serve this salmon marinade recipe with a light side:
- Vegetables – Vegetable recipes like roasted asparagus, roasted cauliflower, and broccoli stir fry all pair well with salmon.
- Salads – Try salad recipes like spring mix salad, kale crunch salad, or Israeli salad.
- Sauces – Sauce recipes like hollandaise, pesto, or lemon butter sauce are all great on salmon.
Easy Salmon Marinade Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
The Best Salmon Marinade Recipe
The BEST salmon marinade recipe, made with 6 simple ingredients! Use this healthy, easy salmon marinade for baked, pan seared, or grilled salmon.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Salmon To Use With Salmon Marinade
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 6 oz salmon, marinated and cooked
Video Showing How To Make Salmon Marinade:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe — it’s located directly above the ingredients list. It’s the easiest way to learn how to make Salmon Marinade!
Nutrition info makes the following assumptions:
- Using Wholesome Yum Keto Maple Syrup. Sugar and carbs will be higher if you use regular.
- Only 1/4 of the marinade is included in the nutrition calculation, as a lot is discarded after marinating the salmon.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂