FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- What Is Chicken Pot Pie Soup?
- Ingredients For Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup In A Crock Pot
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe FAQs
- Slow Cooker Pot Pie Soup Storage Instructions
- What To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- More Healthy Soup Recipes
- Tools To Make Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe (Crock Pot)
You’re going to love this chicken pot pie soup recipe in the Crock Pot! It’s thick, creamy comfort food in a bowl, and has all of the traditional flavors of chicken pot pie, but it won’t weigh you down. Try this slow cooker pot pie soup next time you need an easy and cozy meal.
Recreating classic comfort foods in a healthier ways is sort of a game for me. Is it possible? Will it be just as satisfying? Is it good enough to “trick” my friends and family?
These are the questions that I consider when creating these classics with a healthy twist… like cauliflower baked ziti, keto shepherd’s pie, and lasagna stuffed peppers. I think I found a winner this time!
What Is Chicken Pot Pie Soup?
Slow cooker chicken pot pie soup is essentially a chicken pot pie without the crust, made in your Crock Pot! It takes all of the flavor of the pot pie filling and is served up as a soup.
Ingredients For Chicken Pot Pie Soup
This recipe for homemade chicken pot pie soup comes together with simple ingredients:
- Onions – Any kind you like will do
- Chicken breasts – I prefer this pasture raised brand
- Poultry seasoning – I like to make homemade poultry seasoning, but you could also buy it here. Make sure it’s salt-free, as we are already adding salt separately in this pot pie soup recipe.
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Chicken broth – I used low sodium, but it’s up to you. Adjust salt based on yours.
- Bay leaf
- Frozen peas and carrots – yes, they can be keto in small amounts
- Plain cream cheese
- Xanthan gum – Optional, but recommended to thicken the soup
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup In A Crock Pot
- Saute onions. This is an optional, but recommended step. Saute butter and onion in a medium skillet until soft and starting to brown. (This doesn’t take as long as caramelizing onions, though you certainly could if you’re a fan of those!)
- Slow cook the soup. Place chicken breasts in slow cooker and season with poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Top with sauteed onion, chicken broth, and bay leaf and cook on low heat in Crock Pot until chicken is cooked through. Remove bay leaf and chicken breasts.
- Shred chicken. Take the chicken out of the slow cooker, shred, and set aside.
- Make it creamy. Heat cream cheese in a medium bowl until soft and place into blender. Working quickly, ladle a cup of broth into blender and blend until smooth. Add more broth and blend again. It should be a smooth liquid. If it’s thick, add more broth and if it’s chunky, keep blending. Sprinkle xanthan gum into blender and blend again. It will start to thicken.
- Cook peas and carrots. Turn the slow cooker to high heat and add frozen peas and carrots. They’ll cook pretty quickly, about 15 minutes or so.
- Assemble. Whisk in cream cheese mixture to soup until smooth. Add shredded chicken and adjust salt if needed.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe FAQs
Is chicken pot pie soup healthy?
Yes, this thick and creamy soup is surprisingly light and healthy without tasting like it.
Is chicken pot pie soup keto?
Yes, this chicken pot pie is suitable for a low carb diet, as each serving (1 cup) has just 8.6 grams net carbs.
Many other pot pie soup recipes are thickened with flour and usually topped with a biscuit or pie crust, which would make them not keto-friendly.
How to thicken chicken pot pie soup?
Some recipes use a flour roux to thicken them, but I prefer a grain-free, low carb option. We are thickening it with a combination of cream cheese and xanthan gum instead.
Can I make creamy chicken soup dairy-free?
Yes, you can make this dairy-free if you swap the butter and cream cheese for your favorite dairy-free alternatives.
Slow Cooker Pot Pie Soup Storage Instructions
Can you make it ahead?
Yes, you can make this easy pot pie soup ahead. Soup is the ultimate meal prep dish and reheats well.
How to store leftovers:
If you have homemade chicken pot pie soup left over, store it in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Can chicken pot pie soup be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze the soup for 2-3 months. Cream-based soups do run some risk of separating when thawed, but you can usually just bring it back together when reheating.
Reheat the soup in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat, until hot. To prevent separation, stir frequently and do not boil.
What To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Salads – Soup and salad is the perfect match! Top your fave greens with Italian dressing, creamy balsamic, or ranch.
- Healthy breads – Healthy bread recipes such as almond flour biscuits, 90-second bread, or keto white bread mix all pair well with the best chicken pot pie soup.
- Crackers – Cracker recipes like almond flour crackers, keto cheese crackers, or coconut flour crackers are an easy addition for healthy creamy soups like this one.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
If you like this creamy chicken pot pie soup recipe, you might also like some of these other healthy soup recipes:
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup – The BEST broccoli cheddar soup made with just 5 ingredients and made in 20 minutes.
- Stuffed Pepper Soup – A cozy one-pot meal that’s ready in 30 minutes. Packed with veggies and flavor.
- Whole30 Chili – This wholesome chili is made with simple ingredients and is a satisfying meal in a bowl.
- Roasted Poblano Chicken Soup – To keep it low carb, swap cauliflower for the potatoes and omit the corn.
- Italian Sausage Kale Soup – Flavorful sausage, a creamy broth, and plenty of kale. Ready in 30 minutes.
Tools To Make Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Crock Pot – If you want homemade chicken pot pie soup in a Crock Pot, you need… well, a Crock Pot! 😉 I’ve owned a few and this one is my favorite, because it can be programmed at 30-minute intervals and automatically switches over to the Warm function once the cooking time runs out.
- Blender – The best blender. I use it for everything from keto green smoothies to blending soups like this one.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe (Crock Pot)
Crock Pot chicken pot pie soup is all the comfort of a pot pie, but much easier! This slow cooker chicken pot pie soup recipe is super creamy AND healthy.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Optional but recommended step: Saute the onion for the best flavor. In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the diced onion and saute for 7-8 minutes, until soft and starting to brown.
Meanwhile, place the chicken breasts into the slow cooker. Sprinkle with poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Add the sauteed onion (or raw onion if you skipped the saute step), chicken broth, and bay leaf to the slow cooker.
Cook for 4-6 hours on Low or 2-3 hours on High, until chicken is cooked through and reaches 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Remove the bay leaf and discard.
Remove the chicken to a bowl and shred with 2 forks.
Place cream cheese into a blender. Ladle a cup of broth out of the slow cooker into the cream cheese, and immediately blend until smooth. Add another cup of broth and blend again. The result should be a smooth liquid. If it’s super thick, add more broth and blend again. If it’s chunky, blend more.
Sprinkle (don’t dump) xanthan gum into the blender, then blend again until smooth.
Increase the slow cooker to High. Add the frozen peas and carrots. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes, until peas and carrots are soft.
Add the cream cheese mixture into the soup and whisk vigorously until smooth. Add the shredded chicken. Adjust salt to taste as needed (I added an extra 1/2 teaspoon).
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
Video Showing How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup:
Scroll up a bit to see the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Chicken Pot Pie Soup!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂