This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This homemade poultry seasoning recipe is the perfect simple blend of dried herbs and spices for chicken, turkey, sauces, or even stuffing! Six common poultry seasoning ingredients combine to make a savory, herby mix that you’ll find yourself using all the time.
Add this to your arsenal of homemade spice mixes. You can use it to level up your classic Thanksgiving dishes, or make your own poultry seasoning substitute for any recipe calling for a premade version.
Why You’ll Love This Poultry Seasoning Recipe
- Savory, earthy flavor
- Just 6 simple ingredients
- Done in 5 minutes
- Easy to store for a long time
- Perfect dry rub or seasoning for chicken and turkey
What Is In Poultry Seasoning?
This section explains how to choose the best poultry seasoning ingredients, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Ground Sage – This is the most prominent ingredient in poultry seasoning and adds an earthy flavor. You can substitute ground sage for oregano if you don’t have any. Oregano is more pungent and peppery than sage.
- Dried Thyme – Dried thyme leaves offer the best flavor, but you can use ground thyme as well. For each teaspoon of dried leaves, you will need only 1/2 teaspoon of ground thyme.
- Dried Marjoram – Similar to oregano, except milder and sweeter.
- Dried Rosemary – If you don’t have dried rosemary, you could add additional sage, thyme, or marjoram as a replacement.
- Black Pepper – Use a high quality black pepper for the best flavor.
- Nutmeg – Gives the mixture a subtle, pungent slightly sweet aftertaste. You can use ground cinnamon or allspice instead of nutmeg if you prefer. The flavor will be slightly more sweet and warm if you use cinnamon.
Does poultry seasoning have salt?
This homemade poultry seasoning mix does not contain any salt, so that you can salt your food to your liking separately — it allows for more flexibility. If you are buying the seasoning at the store, you’ll want to check the ingredients closely, as some versions may contain sodium, preservatives, and other fillers.
How To Make Homemade Poultry Seasoning
Stir the poultry seasoning ingredients together in a small bowl, then place in an airtight container or small glass jar.
If you prefer a powdery texture, you can grind the spices in a coffee grinder, spice grinder, food processor, powerful blender, or even mash with a mortar and pestle.
Store this homemade poultry blend in an airtight container, such as spice jars with lids, small multi purpose jars, or spice organizers in the pantry. Homemade poultry seasoning mix will last 1-2 years, but is best used within a year for the best flavor.
What Is Poultry Seasoning Used For?
This basic chicken seasoning can be used in so many different ways. Here are some ideas where you can add it:
- Turkey – Use this seasoning in place of the spices in my recipes for slow cooker turkey breast, Thanksgiving turkey, or spatchcock turkey.
- Chicken – Rub this homemade poultry seasoning blend on pan fried chicken thighs, baked chicken breasts, or air fryer drumsticks.
- Stuffing – Try it in cauliflower stuffing — or any stuffing!
- Soup – The spice blend will add a comforting vibe to low carb chicken soup. Or, swap the Italian seasoning in gluten-free chicken & dumplings with this seasoning for a more flavorful dish.
- Casseroles – Season meat and vegetables all at once in a flavorful chicken divan or breakfast casserole.
More Easy Homemade Seasonings
If you like this homemade poultry mix, try these other spice mixes you can make in just a few minutes:
Homemade Poultry Seasoning Recipe
Poultry Seasoning Recipe (6 Ingredients!)
Ready in just a few minutes, this homemade poultry seasoning recipe is the perfect earthy, herby seasoning for chicken, turkey, and more.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Stir all ingredients together. Store in small airtight jars.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram, or in our Facebook support group, too – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 tsp
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
Nice combinations! I’ll try it today!
Is there anything else that I can use in place of the sage? I can’t eat it.
Wholesome Yum D0
Hi Cinda, You can omit the sage.
Easy and super-tasty! I highly recommend.
Journa Liz Ramirez0
Tried this on our chicken recipe last weekend, and it turned out to be satisfyingly good. This poultry seasoning is a must try recipe.
Thank you for this! It was perfect!
I love homemade spice mixes made from scratch! I also love that this recipe does not have salt in it – as I like the option to reduce the salt intake myself! Thank you!