This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This post is sponsored by Danish Creamery. All opinions are my own and I only share products I personally love. Thanks for supporting the brands that make this site possible!
This chicken Divan casserole recipe (a.k.a. chicken broccoli Divan) is the ultimate cozy comfort food! With a few simple ingredients and no “cream-of” soups, you can make this healthy chicken broccoli casserole recipe with only 10 minutes of hands-on prep time. Best of all, it’s so easy to make ahead!
This easy chicken broccoli casserole contains simple ingredients, and each one makes a huge difference in the taste… which is why I rely on Danish Creamery European Style Butter to build layers of flavor in this dish. Its simple recipe hasn’t changed in over 100 years (just delicious cream with a touch of salt) and it has more butterfat than other brands, which creates the ultimate rich and creamy sauce for this casserole, without a lot of extra ingredients. It’s my favorite butter for a classic chicken Divan recipe!
(Including stores near you that carry it!)
What Is Chicken Divan?
Chicken Divan is a type of chicken and broccoli casserole with a creamy sauce. It occasionally includes added veggies such as onion or mushrooms.
Many easy chicken Divan recipes use flour or cream of chicken soup to thicken them, but this one simplifies the process with fewer processed ingredients.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Broccoli Casserole Recipe
- Savory, comforting flavor
- Tender meat and veggies with creamy sauce
- Easy to prep and make ahead
- 10 minutes of hands-on time
- Made with natural ingredients — plus no starches or condensed soups!
Chicken Broccoli Casserole Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for broccoli cheddar chicken casserole, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
For the casserole:
- Danish Creamery Salted European Style Butter – The only butter I use for this recipe! It helps chicken brown perfectly and adds instant rich flavor.
- Broccoli – I recommend fresh broccoli here, but you could also make chicken Divan with frozen broccoli.
- Chicken Breasts – Cut boneless skinless chicken breasts (or chicken thighs) into bite-size pieces, and we’ll cook them as part of the recipe. But if you want to save time, you can use shredded chicken if you have some pre-made, or use rotisserie chicken.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese – Get it pre-shredded or shred yourself. Mozzarella cheese would also taste great!
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
For the sauce:
- Danish Creamery Salted European Style Butter – With more butterfat than other brands, it creates a velvety smooth sauce for chicken and broccoli Divan.
- Chicken Bone Broth – Use a pre-made chicken broth to save time, or make homemade bone broth.
- Heavy Cream – Half and half may also work here, but it won’t taste as rich, and the sauce will be more watery.
- Poultry Seasoning – Use a prepared seasoning mix or make homemade poultry seasoning instead.
- Garlic Powder – For an extra kick, you can substitute curry powder!
- Sour Cream – Greek yogurt should also work here, but the nutrition will change slightly.
- Dijon Mustard
How To Make Chicken Divan
This section shows how to make broccoli chicken casserole, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Cook broccoli. Boil broccoli in a large pot of boiling water until crisp tender. Drain and add to a 9×13″ baking dish.
- Cook chicken. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add Danish Creamery European Style Butter to a large skillet on medium heat. Place chicken pieces in the pan and cook in a single layer until browned and fully cooked, flipping once halfway though. Add chicken to the baking dish with broccoli.
- Make sauce. Combine more butter, chicken bone broth, heavy cream, poultry seasoning, and garlic powder in the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer until volume is reduced by 1/4. Stir in sour cream and dijon mustard.
- Assemble. Pour sauce over the chicken and broccoli mixture, then sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake. The casserole is finished when fully heated and cheese has melted. I like to add a little parsley for garnish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where did chicken Divan originate?
Chicken Divan casserole originated in the Divan Parisien Restaurant in New York City. It was the restaurant’s signature dish in the early 20th century.
Is chicken Divan healthy?
Not all chicken divan casseroles are healthy — some can taste quite heavy because they use added starches or processed foods, so take a look at the ingredients list first. This chicken and broccoli divan is definitely healthy, as it uses natural ingredients and no added flour or grains.
Is chicken broccoli casserole keto?
Standard chicken divan recipes are not usually keto because of added starches, thickeners, or rice. However, this recipe creates a naturally keto chicken broccoli casserole if you’re looking for a low carb dinner option.
Can I make this chicken Divan recipe with rice?
If you choose to include rice in chicken Divan, you can add up to 2 cups of cooked white or brown rice to the recipe (either layered or mixed with the other ingredients at assembly time). It would be best to double the sauce to accommodate the rice.
Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-5 days. You can also assemble the full casserole 2-3 days in advance, store in the refrigerator, and bake when you’re ready to serve (allowing a few extra minutes for the dish to warm through).
Can chicken Divan be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze chicken Divan! Cool it completely, wrap, and keep in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Thaw chicken broccoli cheese casserole completely in the fridge overnight, then bake at 350 degrees until completely hot and bubbly.
What To Serve With Chicken Divan
This cheesy chicken broccoli casserole is fine to serve on its own, but you can serve it with all kinds of dishes to make it a more complete meal! Try these recipes:
More Chicken Casserole Recipes
If you love cozy casseroles, try these healthy dishes next!
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Chicken Zucchini Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Tools To Make This Easy Casserole
- Danish Creamery European Style Butter – Makes the richest sauce (naturally!) thanks to a higher butterfat content.
- Ceramic Baking Dish – Perfect for heating casseroles evenly, plus it looks beautiful straight from the oven to the table.
- Nonstick Skillet – Makes cooking a breeze, for everything from meat to veggies!
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole Recipe
Chicken Divan: Chicken Broccoli Casserole Recipe
This chicken divan recipe is a healthy chicken broccoli cheese casserole that combines tender meat, veggies, and creamy sauce in one dish, with just 10 minutes prep.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces in a single layer. Cook for 5-6 minutes per side, until browned and cooked through. Remove from the skillet and stir into the baking dish with the broccoli. Set aside.
In the same skillet, make the sauce. Add the remaining 1/4 cup butter, chicken bone broth, heavy cream, poultry seasoning, and garlic powder to the skillet. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes, until the volume is reduced by 1/4.
Remove from heat. Stir in the sour cream and Dijon mustard, until smooth.
Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli in the baking dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, until casserole is hot and cheese is melted.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂