Free: Healthy Freezer Meals Recipe EbookGet It Now
This easy Montreal steak seasoning recipe will add major flavor to your favorite steaks and cuts of beef. My answer for how to season steak properly was simply salt and pepper for years, and I’m still a big fan of that, but making this homemade Montreal seasoning has seriously won me over. I’ve tried it on sirloin steak and filet mignon, and it’s amazing! Give it a whirl and I think you’ll agree – it makes the best steak seasoning!
What Is Montreal Steak Seasoning?
Montreal steak seasoning, sometimes called Montreal steak spice or Canadian steak seasoning, is a blend of spices used to flavor – you guessed it! – steak, though it can be used for other meats as well. It works perfectly as a dry rub (much like a brisket rub), and is one of the best steak seasonings for grilling.
Is Montreal steak seasoning gluten-free?
I never promise that store bought mixes are gluten-free, because you never know if they are adding wheat or other ingredients as fillers or anti-caking agents. That’s why I studied labels of several brands to see what spices are in them, and then developed my own version.
When you make it yourself, you can be sure that this homemade Montreal steak seasoning recipe is 100% gluten-free (and sugar-free, too).
What is in Montreal steak seasoning?
The Montreal steak seasoning ingredients are simple and you probably already have everything you need in the pantry:
- Sea salt
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Crushed black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Onion powder
- Dill seed
The amounts are on the recipe card below.
How To Make Montreal Steak Seasoning
This homemade Montreal seasoning is super simple. Just stir together the Montreal seasoning ingredients…
And store in a small glass jar!
How To Season Steak The Right Way
How to properly season a steak
What’s the best way to season steak? Simply sprinkle this DIY Montreal steak seasoning generously over both sides of the steak, and pat with your fingers to help it stick. Remember, the seasoning is only on the outside, which is why you want to season generously.
How much steak seasoning to use?
The amount of steak seasoning per steak will depend on the size of your steaks and the seasoning you are using. You can always eyeball it and just season generously, but I often measure to ensure I truly have the right amount – the ideal amount is often more than you think you need!
The most critical component in seasoning is salt, so I always determine the amount to use based on how much salt is in the recipe.
TIP: Julia Child’s rule of thumb is 1 teaspoon of salt per pound of meat. So for steak seasoning, you’d use the amount of seasoning needed to include that much salt.
Of course, this Montreal steak seasoning recipe has other ingredients besides salt, so the rule of thumb for this one is 1/2 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning per 8-oz steak.
The photo below shows this seasoning on a beef tenderloin. Notice that there is a lot of seasoning on it – this is what you want for maximum flavor!
Timing is also important to consider when seasoning steak…
How long to season steak?
This answer depends on when you plan on cooking your steak, and also the method, but essentially you have two options:
- Cook the steak right after seasoning (within a few minutes)… OR
- Let the seasoning sit on the steaks for at least 40 minutes, up to 24 hours
If you’d like to read up more on the science behind this, check out this article, but the quick version is that between 3-40 minutes, the salt from the seasoning draws out moisture from the steak, then starts breaking down the fibers, before it is eventually reabsorbed after around 40 minutes. The in-between phase is what you want to avoid, so that you don’t end up with tough or dry steaks.
The method you use to cook the steak actually has an impact on when to season steak, too:
- If you are using the reverse sear steak method, you’ll want to season the steak and let it dry brine in the fridge at least overnight, to allow the outside to dry out, so that it gets that perfect browned crust when you sear it.
- If you are making simple sirloin steak in the oven (or on the grill without a reverse sear), this matters less, and cooking steak right after seasoning is just fine.
- If you are making a tougher cut of meat, like flank steak, I find that a steak marinade works best.
Can you use Montreal steak seasoning on chicken?
Homemade Montreal Steak Seasoning Storage Instructions
Store this steak seasoning recipe in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 2 years. It will be best if used within a year.
More Healthy Seasoning Mixes
If you like this steak seasoning recipe, you might also like some of my other healthy seasoning blends made without any fillers or preservatives:
- Poultry Seasoning – Ready in just a few minutes, and a great way to add some flavor to any chicken or turkey dish.
- Taco Seasoning – You’ll use this blend for way more than tacos! Taco salad, taco dip, taco casserole, and more.
- Italian Seasoning – Just 6 ingredients to make this blend. Try it in meatballs, keto cheese bread, or even mixed in olive oil and drizzled over bread or chicken.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – Use this ALL fall long and just 5 simple ingredients. Keto pumpkin pie, keto pumpkin coffee creamer, low carb pumpkin muffins, and more… but you can totally use the same spice blend on “regular” recipes that aren’t low carb at all. If you like this, apple pie spice is delicious as well.
- Texas Brisket Rub – Perfect for steaks, ribs, and obviously brisket, this rub is ready in just 5 minutes.
Tools To Make Easy Steak Seasoning
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Spice Jars + Labels – Everything you need to organize your spice and seasoning blends!
- Small Glass Jars – These are another great option for storing this steak seasoning recipe.
- Spice Racks – I swear by these spice racks. You’ll never lose a spice jar in the back of your cupboard again.
The Best Montreal Steak Seasoning Recipe
The Best Montreal Steak Seasoning Recipe
Looking for the best steak seasoning recipe? Montreal steak seasoning is the one! It takes just 5 minutes, with simple ingredients from your pantry.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Stir all ingredients together. Store in an airtight jar.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1 teaspoon
Makes 1/2 cup.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂