This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This easy hamburger soup recipe has it all. It’s easy, it’s healthy, and it’s hearty enough for a filling lunch or dinner. This hamburger vegetable soup tastes similar to my simple vegetable soup recipe, but this time I made the soup with hamburger meat similar to my cheeseburger soup to make it filling enough for a full meal (especially if you pair it with a green salad). And now it’s one of my favorite beef soup recipes!
Why You’ll Love This Easy Hamburger Soup Recipe
- Rich, savory flavor
- Chunky beef and vegetables in every bite
- Ready in just 30 minutes
- Simple ingredients
- Naturally low carb, gluten-free, and healthy
Hamburger Soup Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for delicious hamburger soup, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Olive Oil – Used for sauteing. Any oil for high-heat cooking will work, but I recommend either olive or avocado oil.
- Onion – I used white onion, but you can also use a yellow onion or even red onion if you like.
- Garlic – Fresh cloves garlic have the best flavor, but jarred is fine for convenience.
- Bell Peppers – Use any color you like! I used a combination of red and green.
- Celery – Adds crunch. We’re using 2 stalks celery, which is about 1 cup.
- Ground Beef – I prefer to use 85/15 grass fed beef for best flavor and nutrition, but you can use lean ground beef or really any other type you like. Other ground meat, such as ground turkey (or try ground turkey soup), chicken, pork, or Italian sausage, is also fine to substitute.
- Tomatoes – I used canned diced tomatoes. You can also use fire roasted tomatoes for a charred flavor, fresh tomatoes if you have them on hand, or tomato sauce for a smoother soup. If you like a deep tomato flavor, you can add a couple tablespoons tomato paste in addition to the diced tomatoes.
- Green Beans – Use fresh green beans for best flavor, but canned are fine to use if that’s what you have on hand.
- Spices – Italian seasoning, sea salt & black pepper.
- Broth – Beef broth is the classic choice for a beef soup recipe, but technically any broth (such as chicken or vegetable) will work fine.Use low-sodium if you want to cut salt a bit, or use bone broth for a richer flavor.
TIP: Customize the soup with your favorite veggies! Some popular vegetables to include are yukon gold potatoes (not low carb, though), carrots, kale, and spinach. Harder vegetables go in toward the beginning, while ones that cook quickly, such as greens, are best added in the last few minutes.
How To Cook Hamburger Soup
This section shows how to make easy vegetable soup with hamburger meat with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Saute aromatics. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a dutch oven or large pot. Add onion, garlic, bell peppers, and celery. Saute until onions are soft and translucent.
- Brown ground beef. Add ground beef and break it up a spatula. Saute until no longer pink. (I don’t drain my hamburger meat, but you can if you prefer.)
- Simmer. Stir in tomatoes, green beans, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and beef broth to pot. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook until green beans are tender.
Is Hamburger Soup Healthy?
Yes, this hamburger soup is healthy. It’s loaded with protein and vegetables, and is also naturally gluten-free and low in carbs.
Some versions include potatoes or pasta, but I’ve left them out and I don’t think you’ll miss them! If you want to add them, simply add diced potatoes or pasta of your choice at the same time as the broth, and simmer until those are cooked through.
Can You Make Hamburger Soup In The Slow Cooker?
Yes, vegetable soup with hamburger meat can be cooked in the slow cooker. If you want to cook hamburger soup in the Crock Pot:
- To maintain the same level of flavor as the stovetop version, brown the meat and saute the onions, celery, peppers, and garlic in a skillet first — or skip this step for simplicity.
- Dump all ingredients, except green beans, into the slow cooker and stir.
- Cook for 7-8 hours on Low or 3.5-4 hours on High.
- Add green beans when there are 2 hours left of cooking.
Store leftover homemade hamburger soup in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can You Freeze Hamburger Soup?
Yes, you can store hamburger soup for 2-3 months in an airtight container in the freezer.
Reheat soup in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat, or in the microwave, until hot. If it was previously frozen, you can thaw first or just reheat from frozen.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
If you like this easy hamburger soup recipe, you might like some of these other healthy soups:
Tools To Make Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- Dutch Oven – Take this hamburger vegetable soup right from the stove to the table with this dutch oven.
- Glass Storage Containers – Store any leftover soup in glass so that it can go right from the fridge to the microwave. Perfect for packing lunches, too!
Soup With Hamburger Meat
Easy Hamburger Soup Recipe (Healthy!)
EASY hamburger soup recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes! Hearty, healthy, and loaded with vegetables and protein.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, chopped onion, minced garlic, chopped bell peppers, and celery. Saute for 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent and the bell peppers have softened.
Add the ground beef and break it up with a spatula. Saute for 5 more minutes, until the beef is no longer pink.
Add the diced tomatoes, green beans, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and the beef broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the green beans are cooked.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram, or in our Facebook support group, too – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
Serving size is large enough to be a meal. If you want this hamburger soup as a starter, the serving size can be 1 cup and the recipe will make 6 servings.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
Excellent soup. I am doing keto and made this recipe and it is delicious Even my hubby enjoyed it and he doesn’t do keto I added 1/4 con diced carrots and some spinach as well I will definitely make it again next time I will try ground turkey or chicken.
Made this soup last week… making it again tonight… but doubling the recipe for more left overs. Super tasty!
Can you use frozen green beans and can they be added frozen into the mix?
Wholesome Yum D0
Hi Sarah, Yes, you could use frozen green beans.
This was a very delicious soup and great for a cool, rainy day! So easy to put together.
Absolutely loved this soup. Hearty, healthy and easy to make. Perfect for freezing nights!
My grandkids loved this recipe and it was so easy to make too!
I can’t resist a good hamburger soup, and this one was perfect!! I will definitely be making this again, thanks for a great recipe 🙂
I have a ton of ground beef to use since we butchered a cow recently. This is a great recipe to include in my ground beef recipe menu! Love how healthy it is too!
I love hamburger soup! So easy to make, hearty, and tasty! It is also great for leftovers! Excited to give this recipe a try!
This soup is so hearty and comforting! Love that it packs in so many vegetables. It’s a meal in a bowl!
It’s one of the best, heartiest soups out there. It’s easy to make and comes together quickly, too. Definitely going to stay in our meal planning rotation during these colder months.
This is so easy to make and just tastes comforting. I love it on cold winter days!
Lots of delicious flavors in this soup! We are enjoying soups as long as we can, so this is on the menu!!
Amy L Huntley0
This is the heartiest soup and has so many yummy veggies and flavor.
This hamburger soup looks easy, hearty, and delicious – a winning combination. We always use grass-fed beef too and making it in the Dutch oven always works for me.
Love all the veggies going on in this hearty soup… perfect for winter!
Delicious and filling!
Even my picky 12 year old loved this! This is such a yummy recipe!
I love all-in-one meals like this where meat and a bunch of veggies are included! This soup was easy, flavorful, and a huge hit with my whole family!
So good and filling!
This was the perfect hearty soup for a cold night! So tasty!
We LOVED this soup! It’s perfect for using up leftover veggies in the fridge and is so hearty and comforting. Definitely adding to my rotation!