Free: Healthy Freezer Meals Recipe EbookGet It Now
You’ll love this cozy and creamy pumpkin soup recipe! This pumpkin soup with canned pumpkin and coconut milk comes together with just a few minutes prep and is made with simple ingredients that you probably have in your pantry already.
Another bonus: it’s perfect for everyone, no matter who is at the table: it’s naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, easily vegan and vegetarian, and low carb and keto.
What Is Pumpkin Soup?
Pumpkin soup is a creamy, broth-based soup that is made with pumpkin puree, coconut milk, broth, and various spices. It’s slightly sweet and slightly savory.
Why You’ll Love This Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- Sweet and savory winter squash flavors
- Velvety smooth and creamy
- Prep in just 5 minutes
- Just 7 simple ingredients
- Easy to make vegan and vegetarian
- Naturally healthy, gluten-free, paleo, whole30, low carb, and keto
Creamy Pumpkin Soup Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for pumpkin soup, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Olive oil – Any neutral oil will work. You could also use avocado oil or coconut oil, or even butter if you don’t mind the dairy.
- Yellow onion – The mellow sweetness of yellow onion works best in this pumpkin coconut soup, but you could also use white onion.
- Garlic – Use fresh cloves garlic or jarred garlic.
- Chicken broth – You can also use vegetable broth for a vegan and vegetarian soup, or homemade bone broth for added nutrients.
- Coconut milk – Be sure to use full-fat coconut milk (the kind from a can) for best flavor and texture. If you don’t mind the dairy and have heavy cream on hand, you can also use that instead.
- Pumpkin puree – Be sure to use pumpkin purée (just pumpkin flesh) and not pumpkin pie filling. You can roast pumpkin to make fresh puree, but I usually just use canned.
- Seasonings – Nutmeg, sea salt, and black pepper.
How To Make Pumpkin Soup
This section shows how to make pumpkin soup with coconut milk and canned pumpkin, including step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Saute onion. Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat, then add the onion and saute until translucent.
- Saute garlic. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add remaining ingredients. Stir in chicken broth, coconut milk, pumpkin puree, nutmeg, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Blend. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Simmer. Bring pumpkin soup with canned pumpkin to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the soup thickens to your liking and flavors develop.
- Garnish. I like to add a swirl of coconut milk, pumpkin seeds, and chopped cilantro or fresh thyme. You can add these in the pot or to individual bowls.
Frequently Asked Questions
What pumpkin is good for soup?
You definitely want to use pumpkin puree, NOT pumpkin pie filling. You can roast pumpkin yourself and puree it, or just buy canned pumpkin like this.
Can you use different seasonings?
Yes, I kept this creamy pumpkin soup very classic, but you can also use spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, or even curry powder for a different flavor.
Is pumpkin soup healthy?
Yes, this pumpkin soup recipe is made with vegetables, coconut milk, broth and spices. It is naturally vegetarian and vegan (if using vegetable broth), gluten-free, paleo, whole30, and low carb.
The full nutrition stats can be found below, but each serving has just 242 calories.
Is pumpkin soup keto?
Yes, this pumpkin soup recipe with canned pumpkin can work for a keto diet. It has 8.9 grams net carbohydrates per serving. You’ll want to check the ingredients and nutrition facts for every recipe, as some soups are sweetened with sugars or syrups.
- Store: Store creamy pumpkin soup in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Meal prep: Make ahead and portion out into individual servings.
- Reheat: Reheat in the microwave or in a saucepan over the stove.
- Freeze: Freeze soup in an airtight container in the freezer for 2-3 months.
What To Serve With Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Serve this healthy pumpkin soup recipe with an equally healthy side:
- Protein – Protein recipes such as crispy chicken thighs, pan fried tilapia, or cast iron pork chops make a good meal alongside creamy pumpkin soup.
- Vegetable side – Try roasted asparagus, oven roasted vegetables, or green beans almondine.
- Salad – Fall salads like kale crunch salad or broccoli salad are a good combination.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
Tools To Make Pumpkin Soup With Coconut Milk
Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
An easy creamy pumpkin soup recipe made with canned pumpkin and coconut milk! It's delicious, healthy, and ready in 30 minutes with just 7 simple ingredients.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Heat olive oil a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5-7 minutes, until translucent.
Add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, pumpkin, nutmeg, sea salt, and black pepper.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup, until smooth and creamy.
Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 25-30 minutes, until the soup reduces to your liking and flavors develop.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂