This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
If you know how to make cauliflower rice, the possibilities for what to do with it are endless. Today I bring you one of them: basic cauli rice with cheese sauce added… because I love this keto cheese sauce so much, using it in keto mac and cheese just made me want to find more ways to enjoy it. If you prefer cauli rice over florets, or just want a change of pace, this dish is for you. This keto cheesy cauliflower rice recipe is like a cauliflower rice mac and cheese.
Cauliflower rice and cheese is easy to make, has an incredibly creamy homemade cheese sauce, and has just 3.6g net carbs per serving. Serve it as a keto veggie side dish, or as a vegetarian keto meal if you need a big bowl of comfort food. (Because… cheese = ultimate comfort food! And yes, cheese is keto.)
Riced cauliflower mac and cheese takes less than 10 minutes to make and needs only 5 ingredients – just how I like my meals to be!
How To Make Cheesy Cauliflower Rice
This easy cheesy cauliflower rice recipe is so simple that it takes less than 10 minutes to make! Here’s how we make it:
- Saute cauliflower rice. Heat avocado oil in a skillet over medium heat and add cauliflower rice to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Stir fry until tender, but not mushy.
- Make keto cheese sauce. Be sure to add an additional 2 tablespoons of heavy cream to sauce so that it’s runny enough to mix, but still thick.
TIP: Below is a picture of how it looks as written, but you can add more cream if you like a thinner sauce.
- Assemble. To make cheesy riced cauliflower, pour cheese sauce over cauliflower rice and stir together to coat, pressing the sauce gently into the rice. Adjust salt to taste.
- Sprinkle with more cheddar cheese. If you like, cover for a couple of minutes to melt the cheese. I like to add a sprinkle of parsley, too.
Cauliflower Rice Mac And Cheese FAQs
Is cheesy cauliflower rice keto?
Yes, this mac and cheese with cauliflower rice is low carb and keto! Each serving has just 3.6 grams net carbs.
Can you make cauliflower rice and cheese with frozen cauliflower?
Yes, this riced cauliflower mac and cheese will work with fresh riced cauliflower, or frozen. It’s totally up to you.
Why is my cheese sauce too thick?
This can vary a bit depending on how tightly packed your cheese is and also your preference. The recipe as written says to add an additional 2 tablespoons cream to the keto cheese sauce recipe, but you can add more if you want it thinner.
TIP: Be sure the cheese sauce is hot when you add it to the cauliflower rice. It will get thicker as it cools, making it harder to mix in.
Cauliflower Rice And Cheese Storage Instructions
Can you make keto cheesy cauliflower rice ahead?
If you’d like to make the cauliflower rice mac and cheese ahead, I would recommend prepping a few items so that it comes together in just a few minutes:
- Rice the cauliflower if using fresh.
- Make the keto cheese sauce and store in the fridge.
How to store cauliflower rice with cheese
Store this cauliflower rice mac and cheese in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Can you freeze cheesy cauliflower rice?
No, I wouldn’t recommend freezing this keto mac and cheese cauliflower rice. Freezing dairy alters the texture, and since this recipe has cheese sauce as a main component, I wouldn’t want the cheese sauce to get clumpy.
How to reheat cheesy cheddar cauliflower rice
Reheat in the microwave or a 350 degree F oven, until hot.
More Cheesy Cauliflower Recipes
If you like this cauliflower rice and cheese, you might also like some of these other keto cauliflower recipes with cheese:
- Keto Mashed Cauliflower – So much flavor from just 4 simple ingredients! It can seriously pass for potatoes.
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust – No soggy crust here, you can actually pick this healthy crust up with your hands!
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower – Delicious as a side dish or impressive as a vegetarian main, yet simple to make.
- Cheesy Loaded Cauliflower Casserole – All the comfort of loaded potatoes, minus the carbs.
- Cauliflower Tots – Yes, cauliflower rice can turn into tots – just 4 ingredients to make these bites.
- Cauliflower Cheese Soup – Just five simple ingredients.
- Cauliflower Parmesan – Like chicken parm, but with cauliflower instead of the chicken.
Tools To Make Cheddar Cauliflower Rice
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Food Processor – This food processor makes any and all cheesy cauliflower rice recipes come together quickly! It’s the fastest way to make your own cauliflower rice – use the shredding attachment.
- Nonstick Skillet – This is one of my favorite pans… nothing sticks to the hard anodized surface and it heats well.
Cheesy Cauliflower Rice Recipe
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Cheesy Cauliflower Rice Recipe
A keto cheesy cauliflower rice recipe for a healthy way to get your mac fix! Cauliflower rice mac and cheese needs just 5 ingredients and 10 minutes to make.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Heat avocado oil in a skillet over medium heat.
Add cauliflower rice. Season with salt and pepper. Stir fry for 4-5 minutes, until tender but not mushy.
Meanwhile, make keto cheese sauce according to instructions here. Add an additional 2 tablespoons (29 ml) cream to the sauce, until runny enough to mix but still thick.
Pour sauce over cauliflower rice and stir together to coat. Adjust salt to taste.
Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheddar cheese, if using.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂