Free: Healthy 5-Ingredient Meals EbookGet It Now
Weekdays can get super busy for me. That’s why I love the convenience of frozen cauliflower rice for my cauliflower recipes. It’s as versatile and tasty as fresh cauliflower rice, but without the hassle of chopping or food processing this veggie. It’s now my go-to choice for hectic weekdays!
Why You’ll Love Making Frozen Cauliflower Rice
- Classic cauliflower rice flavor
- Consistent texture
- Faster and more convenient than fresh
- Takes just a few minutes
- Gluten-free, healthy, and less starchy than conventional rice
- Versatile – Use in a variety of recipes
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for frozen riced cauliflower what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Frozen Cauliflower Rice – Look for packages with cauliflower as the only ingredient. You can find it in the frozen vegetables section of your grocery store. You can also make it from scratch from a head of cauliflower using a food processor and freeze to cook later.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Olive Oil – While 1 tablespoon is sufficient, using 2 tablespoons offers a richer taste. Avocado oil, coconut oil, or butter also work instead.
How To Cook Frozen Cauliflower Rice
This section shows how to make frozen cauliflower rice, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Heat the oil Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet over medium heat to medium-high heat.
- Break up the rice. Toss the bag of frozen cauliflower rice on the counter a few times to break it up before opening.
- Cook. Add the cauliflower to the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and stir fry, uncovered, until the cauli rice is soft but not mushy.
- Season. Adjust salt and pepper to taste if desired.
Tips For Cooking Frozen Cauliflower Rice
Making frozen cauliflower fried rice is pretty straightforward, but here are some tips to make it have the same great texture as fresh cauliflower rice:
- Break it up before opening the bag. The easiest way is to just toss the bag against the counter a few times. This is also a great release if you’re having a bad day. 😉
- Don’t thaw before cooking. Cooking from frozen creates a better texture and saves time.
- Cook uncovered over medium-high heat. Cooking over low heat or covering with a lid will cause the cauliflower to steam, which will make frozen cauliflower rice more watery.
- Don’t overcook. It will make the rice too soft, with an unappealing texture.
- You can make a double or triple batch. Feel free to make it in bulk! The cook time may take a little longer if you make more, as it will take longer to thaw.
- Store: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat: Warm it in a skillet over medium heat, or microwave in a covered dish for about a minute, stirring occasionally.
- Freeze: I don’t recommend re-freezing this rice, but it is possible. Cool cooked cauliflower rice completely, then store in an airtight container or freezer bag and place back in the freezer.
Frozen Cauliflower Rice Recipes
There are so many ways you can use this rice besides as a plain side. Here are some ideas:
- Casseroles – When you want something all around quick and easy, use cauli rice in my cauliflower casserole or cabbage roll casserole.
- Asian Dishes – It’s perfect for Asian stir fries such as chicken stir fry, but it also makes a quick and easy cauliflower fried rice.
- Side Dishes – Use frozen cauli rice to make cilantro lime cauliflower rice as a side to classic Mexican dishes (or a salmon bowl) or make cheesy cauliflower rice for any main course.
- Main Dishes – I love using frozen cauliflower rice in low carb jambalaya for a Southern comfort meal, but it’s also my go-to for chicken stuffed peppers.
- Soups – Use cauliflower rice to add nutrition to a classic chicken noodle soup, or to bulk up vegetable soup for a heartier meal.
- Pizza – You can even use this frozen cauli rice to make a cauliflower crust pizza!
Frozen Cauliflower Rice (Best Way To Make It)
A simple frozen cauliflower rice recipe with just 4 ingredients! It makes the perfect healthy side or white rice swap in just a few minutes.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
If your frozen cauliflower rice is stuck together inside the bag, toss it on the counter a few times to break it up before opening.
Add the cauliflower rice to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Stir fry 5-7 minutes, uncovered, until cauliflower rice is soft but not mushy. (Think al dente!) Do not cover.
Adjust salt and pepper to taste if desired.
Did You Like It?
Leave a rating to help other readers (this also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site), or get the recipe sent to your inbox.
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂