This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
I was so happy to dedicate this entire post to one of my favorite topics: keto tacos! Not only are low carb tacos delicious and healthy and perfectly keto-friendly, but they are also a meal that everyone loves. Seriously, have you ever met a person who didn’t love tacos? And when you read through this ultimate guide, you’ll find there is no shortage of tacos on keto!
I’m sharing the best keto taco shells, taco fillings, taco toppings, and of course, the best keto taco recipes.
If you’re wondering what tacos are keto friendly and what tacos aren’t, look no further. I’ve got ideas for plenty of Taco Tuesdays!
Are Tacos Keto?
Tacos on a keto diet… yes or no? Well, it all depends on what kind of tacos we’re talking about. But you already know that, don’t you?!
A lot of the taco filling ingredients are keto or low carb (think keto taco meat, lettuce, diced tomatoes or salsa, sour cream, avocado, cheese), but then when it comes time for the taco shell, that’s when things get a bit questionable. 😉
But luckily for all of us, there are a lot of keto friendly taco shells out there. I’ll share the best keto taco shells below, as well as how to make low carb tacos, and my favorite low carb taco recipes.
How To Make Keto Tacos
Making tacos keto is super easy! Simply look at each ingredient to make sure it’s on the keto food list.
Here’s how to make low carb tacos:
- Pick a keto friendly tortilla or taco shell recipe. Or choose to make a taco salad or bowl!
- Pick a protein. Most taco meat (chicken, beef, shrimp, etc.) is keto meat and will be low in carbs, though you’ll always want to check specific marinade recipes and make sure that there isn’t any breading or sugar on them.
- Pick keto friendly taco fixings. As I mentioned above, many of the traditional taco fillings – like shredded cheese, sour cream, and avocado – are already keto friendly. These are all great options for no carb tacos, and we’ll go over those in more detail below, too.
Options For Keto Taco Shells
There are a few different options for keto taco shells – both crispy taco shells (made of cheese) and soft taco shells. Here are my favorite ways to enjoy tacos on keto:
- Keto Almond Flour Tortillas – It’s hard to tell that these soft tortillas aren’t made from flour! If you love soft flour tortillas, give these a try.
- Coconut Flour Tortillas – Pliable and perfect for keto friendly tacos. A great nut-free option.
- Fresh Jicama Tortillas – Vegetables can also be turned into keto taco shells! Thinly sliced jicama is lightly cooked until soft.
- Lettuce Wraps – Lettuce wraps also work well for carb free tacos! Use a lettuce leaf like butter, romaine, or iceberg for best results.
- Keto Cheese Taco Shells – These easy and crispy shells add even MORE flavor to your tacos. And more cheese is always a good answer.
- Cauliflower Tortillas – No one will guess that these low carb tortilla shells are made out of cauliflower! The more veggies the better.
Low Carb Tacos Without Shells
If you don’t have time to make keto friendly taco shells, you can skip the shell altogether by making low carb tacos in the form of a bowl, salad, casserole, soup, and more. Here are some options:
- Easy Healthy Taco Salad – This taco salad recipe has so much going on, you won’t even miss the shell. Top with cheese “chips” for an extra crunch
- Easy Tamale Pie Casserole – This savory pie has all of the taco flavors that you love and a cheesy topping. Serve with taco keto toppings!
- Walking Taco Bowls – Take your tacos on-the-go with these fun walking taco bowls. The classic “walking taco” get a healthy update.
- Easy Keto Taco Soup – If you like your tacos in soup form, you’ll LOVE this soup. Make a double batch, you’ll be glad. (And for non-keto family members, making healthy taco soup is very similar with some beans and corn added.)
- Keto Taco Pie – This one doesn’t even need a crust!
- Cauliflower Rice – If you’re missing your favorite burrito bowls, cauliflower rice is the answer! Simply add your favorite taco meat and taco toppings.
The Best Keto Taco Recipes
One of my favorite things about tacos is that it’s so easy to make them keto-friendly and there are SO many different ways to enjoy them. Whether you love chicken, beef, pork, seafood, or veggies,
- Easy Carne Asada + Marinade – Stuff thinly sliced carne asada into your favorite keto taco shells. Top with diced white onion and sliced avocado for a traditional meal.
- Chipotle Copycat Beef Barbacoa – Just like Chipotle, this flavorful beef is perfect for keto tacos. It’s got great smoky and a lightly spicy flavor.
- Salmon Tacos – A twist on traditional taco proteins, this recipe features salmon! Swap out the sugar and use one of the low carb tortilla options above.
- Browned ground beef – You can add taco seasoning, or just season with some salt and pepper. Always a classic, always a hit.
- Shredded chicken – Slow cooker or Instant Pot chicken work well as a base for just about any type of keto taco recipe. Cook with salsa for some extra flavor.
- Shredded pork (carnitas) – Classic carnitas is rich and full of flavor. Diced onion and chopped cilantro make the best light and fresh toppings.
- Cod Fish Tacos – These call for corn tortillas, but just use one of the low carb options above instead.
- Sauteed Mushrooms & Peppers – If you are looking for a vegetarian option, try a combination of mushrooms, onions, and peppers. Thinly slice them and saute until soft with some oil.
Common Low Carb Taco Ingredients
Tacos are all about the fixings and there are so many great low carb options! Some of the list below are a full recipe, but many just need a quick chop.
- Creamy Tomatillo Avocado Salsa Verde – Bright and creamy, this flavorful sauce is perfect for beef or shrimp.
- Homemade Fresh Tomato Salsa – Just 5 ingredients to make this classic salsa recipe.
- Homemade Guacamole – Made from one of my favorite keto ingredients! 😉
- Diced jalapenos or pickled jalapeno peppers – If you love spice, add some jalapenos. Raw will add more heat, but pickled are also a great option.
- Diced onion – Both red and white onion are delicious on tacos
- Diced tomatoes – Bright color and a hit of sweetness. Chop up any type of tomato, they all work well.
- Chopped cilantro – Unless you absolutely can’t stand cilantro, I think adding cilantro to any and all tacos is a good idea.
- Shredded cabbage – Love the crunch that fresh cabbage adds to tacos. Shred it as thinly as possible.
- Shredded cheese – Mexican or a sharp cheddar work well for just about any variety of tacos.
- Sour cream – Adds a cooling and creamy touch to your tacos.
Keto Taco Seasoning
No matter what kind of taco you’re making, you’re probably going to want to use some taco seasoning as it adds classic taco flavor to anything you put it on.
My gluten-free keto low carb taco seasoning is really easy to put together, and of course, doesn’t contain any weird ingredients. You can put this on ground beef, shredded chicken, or sauteed veggies for a vegetarian option. My spice cabinet is always stocked with a jar of this seasoning, because you never know when taco cravings will strike!
Can You Make Low Carb Tacos Ahead Of Time?
Tacos are best made fresh, but you can definitely prep most of the low carb taco components ahead of time.
Most taco meats and toppings are fine to be made ahead, which makes them great for easy weeknight dinners or family-friendly parties.
Then just put out your keto taco shells, taco fillings, and taco fixings and everyone can make their own!
Tools To Make Low Tacos
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Mandoline Slicer – The easiest way to make your jicama tortillas, or veggies for your taco filling, thin and uniform.
- Chef’s Knife – I love this knife. Makes chopping easy.
- Avocado Saver – We always have avocado halves in our fridge and this is the best way to store them. I always include avocado in my keto tacos!
Low Carb Keto Tacos: The Ultimate Guide
How To Make Low Carb Keto Tacos
The ultimate guide to tacos on a keto diet, including a basic keto tacos recipe, dozens of other low carb taco recipes, soft or crispy keto taco shells, keto friendly taco fillings, and more!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Make tortillas according to directions here. Or check out my post above for other keto taco shell ideas - coconut tortillas, crispy cheese taco shells, bowls, and more!
Brown ground beef in large skillet over medium-high heat, about 8-10 minutes. Once browned, add taco seasoning and water and stir to combine. Simmer until beef mixture has thickened.
Serve tacos with toppings as desired. See the post above for more ideas for ways to fill keto tacos!
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 taco
Nutrition facts do not include toppings
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂