Free: Healthy 5-Ingredient Meals EbookGet It Now
There is so much to love about this Mexican taco slaw recipe! Not only is this cilantro lime slaw a flavorful, bright, and crunchy topping for tacos, but it also makes a great side for any Mexican dish. It’s flavorful, but it’s also easy: this cabbage slaw for tacos is ready in just 5 minutes.
What Is Taco Slaw?
This easy cabbage slaw for tacos is great as a taco topping, but also as a side to any Mexican dish. It’s made with coleslaw mix and a delicious, creamy cilantro lime dressing. Like cilantro lime cauliflower rice, it combines lots of tangy, herby flavors onto one plate! For another easy Mexican-style side, try crock pot queso dip as well.
Why You’ll Love This Cilantro Lime Slaw Recipe
- Crunchy sweet coleslaw mix
- Creamy cilantro lime dressing
- Easy and healthy
- Ready in 5 minutes
Taco Slaw Recipe Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for cilantro lime cabbage slaw, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Mayonnaise – I prefer using a homemade avocado oil mayonnaise, but you can really use your favorite brand.
- Lime juice – Using fresh squeezed lime juice will give you the best flavor, but you can also use bottled lime juice for a time-saver.
- Cumin – This will give the quick slaw for tacos smoky, traditional flavor.
- Garlic powder – This gives the dressing mild garlic flavor.
- Sea salt
- Cayenne pepper – This give the slaw some kick! Adjust to your spice preferences.
- Shredded coleslaw mix – It’s super easy to use a pre-shredded mix and will give you some variety in veggies, but you can also shred your own if you prefer.
- Green onions – Look for green onions with bright green tops.
- Cilantro – Look for bright green, leafy cilantro. You can also add more or less according to your preferences.
How To Make Cabbage Slaw For Tacos
This section shows how to make cabbage slaw for tacos with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Mix dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lime juice, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne.
- Toss the easy taco slaw. Place coleslaw mix, green onions, and cilantro into a large bowl. Pour dressing over evenly and toss to coat.
- Chill. Refrigerate the slaw for an hour to let flavors develop. Stir before serving, and top with more green onions and a squeeze of lime, if desired.
If you’re making cabbage slaw for fish tacos ahead of time, store it in the refrigerator for 1-3 days. If you’ll be storing it longer, wait to dress the coleslaw mix an hour before serving.
What To Serve With Cilantro Lime Coleslaw
The best part about this slaw is that you’ll find so many ways to eat it! Here are a few ideas:
- Tacos – Use cabbage slaw for fish tacos (I have the perfect recipe in The Easy Keto Cookbook), keto tacos, or taco skillet recipes. Or stuff it into cheese taco shells with your favorite fillings.
- Fajitas – This simple slaw for tacos would also pair well with fajita recipes like Instant Pot steak fajitas, healthy fajita stuffed peppers, or chicken fajitas.
- Other Mexican Meals – The slaw would be a great topping or side for Mexican recipes such as flank steak carne asada, slow cooker keto taco casserole, Chipotle copycat Chipotle barbacoa, cheesy stuffed poblano peppers, or walking taco bowls or an easy taco salad.
Cilantro Lime Taco Slaw Recipe
This creamy taco slaw recipe makes the perfect side dish or cabbage slaw for tacos! The best part: Mexican cilantro lime slaw takes just 5 minutes to make.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice, cumin, garlic powder, salt and cayenne.
Place the shredded coleslaw mix, green onions, and cilantro into a large bowl. Pour the dressing over evenly and toss to coat.
If you have time, refrigerate the cilantro lime slaw for an hour to let the flavors develop. Stir again before serving. Serve chilled.
Did You Like It?
Leave a rating to help other readers (this also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site), or get the recipe sent to your inbox.
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂