This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
There is so much to love about this Mexican taco slaw recipe! Not only is this cilantro lime slaw a flavorful, bright, and crunchy topping for tacos, but it also makes a great side for any Mexican dish. It’s flavorful, but it’s also easy: this cabbage slaw for tacos is ready in just 5 minutes.
If you’re looking for some simple vegetable salads, give my creamy cucumber salad, cucumber radish salad, or Israeli salad a try. They pair with anything!
What Is Taco Slaw?
This easy cabbage slaw for tacos is great as a taco topping, but also as a side to any Mexican dish. It’s made with coleslaw mix and a delicious, creamy cilantro lime dressing. Like cilantro lime cauliflower rice, it combines lots of tangy, herby flavors onto one plate! For another easy Mexican-style side, try crock pot queso dip as well.
Why You’ll Love This Cilantro Lime Slaw Recipe
- Crunchy sweet coleslaw mix
- Creamy cilantro lime dressing
- Easy and healthy
- Ready in 5 minutes
Taco Slaw Recipe Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for cilantro lime cabbage slaw, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Mayonnaise – I prefer using a homemade avocado oil mayonnaise, but you can really use your favorite brand.
- Lime juice – Using fresh squeezed lime juice will give you the best flavor, but you can also use bottled lime juice for a time-saver.
- Cumin – This will give the quick slaw for tacos smoky, traditional flavor.
- Garlic powder – This gives the dressing mild garlic flavor.
- Sea salt
- Cayenne pepper – This give the slaw some kick! Adjust to your spice preferences.
- Shredded coleslaw mix – It’s super easy to use a pre-shredded mix and will give you some variety in veggies, but you can also shred your own if you prefer.
- Green onions – Look for green onions with bright green tops.
- Cilantro – Look for bright green, leafy cilantro. You can also add more or less according to your preferences.
How To Make Cabbage Slaw For Tacos
This section shows how to make cabbage slaw for tacos with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Mix dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lime juice, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne.
- Toss the easy taco slaw. Place coleslaw mix, green onions, and cilantro into a large bowl. Pour dressing over evenly and toss to coat.
- Chill. Refrigerate the slaw for an hour to let flavors develop. Stir before serving, and top with more green onions and a squeeze of lime, if desired.
If you’re making cabbage slaw for fish tacos ahead of time, store it in the refrigerator for 1-3 days. If you’ll be storing it longer, wait to dress the coleslaw mix an hour before serving.
What To Serve With Cilantro Lime Coleslaw
The best part about this slaw is that you’ll find so many ways to eat it! Here are a few ideas:
- Tacos – Use cabbage slaw for fish tacos (I have the perfect recipe in The Easy Keto Cookbook), keto tacos, or taco skillet recipes. Or stuff it into cheese taco shells with your favorite fillings.
- Fajitas – This simple slaw for tacos would also pair well with fajita recipes like Instant Pot steak fajitas, fajita stuffed peppers, or chicken fajitas.
- Other Mexican Meals – The slaw would be a great topping or side for Mexican recipes such as carne asada, keto taco casserole, beef barbacoa, or walking taco bowls.
Mexican Taco Slaw Recipe
Cilantro Lime Taco Slaw Recipe
This creamy taco slaw recipe makes the perfect side dish or cabbage slaw for tacos! The best part: Mexican cilantro lime slaw takes just 5 minutes to make.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice, cumin, garlic powder, salt and cayenne.
Place the shredded coleslaw mix, green onions, and cilantro into a large bowl. Pour the dressing over evenly and toss to coat.
If you have time, refrigerate the cilantro lime slaw for an hour to let the flavors develop. Stir again before serving. Serve chilled.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram, or in our Facebook support group, too – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
So tasty! We made it to top off our ocean perch tacos and the flavor was perfect! Will use time and time again.
I love this recipe! I serve it to guests and at family gatherings, and I always get asked for the recipe. People who don’t like coleslaw say they love this.
Thanks for sharing this recipe with perfect proportions! I halved it for just my husband and added a half teaspoon of sugar.
Wow! What a delicious flavor combo! This is a new family favorite!
Great Recipe. And so easy.
Wow! This is fantastic by itself or on tacos! So simple and delicious!
I haven’t made this yet but I love slaw.I love spicy food so I will add jalapeño peppers.
Has anyone ever made this for a HUGE group and have tips?
I adjusted the recipe to serve 150 people for an upcoming grad party – thought I’d check for suggestions before I buy 270 oz (17 bags) of coleslaw 🙂
Maya | Wholesome Yum0
Hi Melanie, Yes, you should be able to just scale it up for a large group. Not sure if you’ll have a bowl large enough for that many servings though, so you may need to make a few batches.
Excellent recipe! No changes needed. Delicious with the perfect balance of seasonings, cilantro and lime. I’ll be keeping this one in rotation!
This slaw was an amazing flavor bomb to my pork carnitas. My family loved it. I used 1/2 C mayo and 1/4 C full fat Greek yogurt. I substituted lemon juice for the lime and red onion for the green. Thank you for the recipe.
Made this to go with your Keto Taco Bowls, and it makes a wonderful base for them. Using coleslaw mix was a real eye opener, since I usually slice my own cabbage for making slaw. I love how easy it is to use the mix. This slaw has a really nice flavor, and I’ll definitely be making it again, probably pretty regularly.
I am not always a fan of slaw but this one has a ton of flavor. It is great on its own or on a sandwich or burger too.
Slaws are so good!! They add flavor & color to any meal! You can’t mess this up!
This couldn’t have been any easier or quicker!! We love it on tacos! It adds so much flavor & crunch!
This was so good!
This taco slaw is good. I love the bright fresh flavors of lime and cilantro. Yum.
Such a perfect recipe for weeknights! So easy to make and really good!
This recipe added so much flavor and zing to my tacos!
Delicious ten times over. We put this on your chicken soft tacos and it takes them over the top. Thanks for a winning recipe.
This looks so delicious!
Definitely a go to from now on. Still wondering how this would work heated an cooked down.. delicious.
This salad was very easy to make and so good! My whole family loved it and I will be making it a lot!
2nd time making this, so thought I’d comment. First batch didn’t last long! Only modifications for our family: omitted salt (we’re a low sodium house) and cut Cilantro in half (not huge fans, but wanted to respect the recipe flavor mix)
I did make my own mayo and used fresh lime juice this time but first batch I used store bought and it was good both ways…just a “touch” fresher/crisper tasting the second time around. Thanks, I haven’t had a single recipe of yours that wasn’t a hit at our house!
Well this certainly sounds delicious! I can’t wait to try it!!
YUM! All the flavors of tacos in a cole slaw! I served it with siete chips and we devoured the entire thing!
Amy L Huntley0
I love that this only take 5-minutes to make and is the perfect addition to any taco!
I love slaws alone or on my tacos, but with the cilantro & cayenne, this takes it to a whole new level! Loved it!
Yum! I love slaws & this one, I think is my new favorite!! I will be adding this on all my tacos!