This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- What Are Cheese Stuffed Poblano Peppers?
- How To Make Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Are Stuffed Peppers Keto?
- Are Poblano Peppers Spicy?
- Can You Make Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers Ahead?
- Can Stuffed Poblano Peppers Be Frozen?
- What To Serve with Mexican Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Tools To Make Keto Stuffed Poblano Peppers With Cheese & Chicken
- Keto Mexican Cheese & Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers Recipe
I’ve made stuffed bell peppers a thousand times before, but keto stuffed poblano peppers with chicken and cheese? This was a first! And you guys, I don’t know why I waited so long. With chicken, cheese, and plenty of taco flavors, I happen to think this is the best stuffed poblano pepper recipe out there. And don’t you worry, these chicken stuffed poblano peppers are not only delicious, but also healthy! The filling of my cheese stuffed poblano peppers covers vegetables (diced tomatoes) and protein (shredded chicken), and adding cream cheese at the end makes the filling incredibly creamy. Try out this Mexican stuffed poblano peppers recipe for an easy meal that’s ready in less than 30 minutes!
What Are Cheese Stuffed Poblano Peppers?
These Mexican cheese stuffed poblano peppers are just what they sound like: poblano peppers stuffed with cheese, chicken, and loads of Mexican flavors! And much like chicken tortilla soup, it’s an easy recipe to make low carb.
They are similar to a traditional Italian-based stuffed pepper (like my lasagna stuffed peppers!), but with taco flavors and poblano peppers to give them a slightly smoky flavor.
How To Make Stuffed Poblano Peppers
My cheese stuffed poblano keto peppers are pretty simple to make! Here’s how we make them:
- Prep the peppers. Cut the peppers in half and remove seeds. Place them onto a lined baking sheet.
- Make keto poblano stuffed peppers filling. The filling is essentially sauteed garlic, shredded chicken, diced tomatoes, and taco seasoning. The mixture is liquid at first, but reduces to a thick filling after simmering.
- Stir in cream cheese. This mellows out the filling and makes it creamy!
- Stuff the chicken stuffed poblano peppers. Stuff the filling into the poblano peppers and place, open side up, on baking sheet. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake stuffed peppers. Bake the keto stuffed poblano pepper recipe for 15-20 minutes, until peppers are soft and cheese is melted. Garnish with cilantro.
Are Stuffed Peppers Keto?
This stuffed poblano peppers recipe certainly is keto! Many stuffed pepper recipes contain carbs like rice or other grains, but these keto stuffed poblano peppers have a creamy, delicious filling, without any of the carbs!
Each pepper has just 4 grams of net carbs. The full nutrition stats can be found below the recipe card.
Are Poblano Peppers Spicy?
No, poblano peppers aren’t spicy. The name and Mexican flair makes me think of spice, but they actually are not.
However, the filling in these stuffed poblano peppers is moderately spicy from the taco seasoning. Feel free to reduce the amount a bit if you want less spice.
Can You Make Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers Ahead?
You can make 3 parts of this stuffed poblano peppers keto recipe ahead:
- You can prep the peppers (cut and remove seeds).
- You can make the filling.
- Assemble the peppers.
You can store the prepared peppers and filling separately in the fridge for several days, or store the assembled peppers in a covered baking dish for 1-2 days.
When you’re ready to make your healthy chicken stuffed poblano peppers, simply bake as directed, until heated through and cheese has melted.
Can Stuffed Poblano Peppers Be Frozen?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze this Mexican stuffed poblano peppers recipe! In fact, keto stuffed poblano peppers freeze really well.
Simply place them into a casserole baking dish and cover tightly with foil and/or plastic wrap. Alternatively, you can wrap each individual pepper with plastic wrap and store in the freezer. Either method will last for about 2 months in the freezer.
TIP: You can freeze stuffed poblanos before OR after baking. Both ways work great!
When you’re ready to dig into this chicken stuffed poblano peppers keto recipe, simply thaw peppers in fridge and bake until heated through and cheese has melted. You can even bake them from frozen if you like.
What To Serve with Mexican Stuffed Poblano Peppers
These baked cheese stuffed poblano peppers are a meal on their own, so you don’t have to have another side. But if you want to add a little something, here are a few ideas:
- Oven Roasted Vegetables – This easy keto side dish is super versatile, you can serve it with just about anything!
- Sauteed Broccoli with Garlic – A quick stir fry always makes a great side and this sauteed broccoli is no exception.
- Keto Almond Tortillas – Serve up low carb poblano pepper recipes with warm tortillas on the side. Spread them with a pat of butter or melt cheese in them for a quick quesadilla.
- Roasted Asparagus – You can’t go wrong with roasted asparagus. Minimal seasonings make it great for anything.
- Rainbow Salad – If you want a crispy, crunchy, fresh side, this one is it. It’s full of bright flavors, and beautiful to boot!
Tools To Make Keto Stuffed Poblano Peppers With Cheese & Chicken
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Ceramic Paring Knife – This is my go-to paring knife to prep the peppers for this keto stuffed poblano pepper recipe. Ceramic knives are great for vegetables in particular. Plus, it comes in fun colors!
- Hard-Anodized Skillet – Mexican stuffed poblano peppers have a creamy chicken and cheeses filling, all cooked up in a skillet! I love hard-anodized coating like this one, because it’s nonstick but still so durable.
- Nonstick Baking Sheet – My favorite baking sheets! Bake your chicken cheese stuffed poblano peppers recipe on this baking sheet. I like to line it just to be safe, but it’s also nonstick and cleans up really nicely!
Keto Mexican Cheese & Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers Recipe
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Keto Mexican Cheese & Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers Recipe
See how to make Mexican keto stuffed poblano peppers with simple ingredients, in just 30 minutes! This cheesy chicken stuffed poblano peppers recipe is full of taco flavors.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds. Place them onto a lined baking sheet. Set aside.
In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
Add the shredded chicken, diced tomatoes (with liquid), and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 3-5 minutes, until the extra liquid is absorbed into the chicken.
Reduce heat to low. Stir in the cream cheese, pressing with the back of a spoon or spatula to help it mix in, until melted and smooth.
Stuff the filling into the poblano peppers and place, open side up, back onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of each pepper half, about 2 tablespoons (28 grams) each.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until peppers are soft and cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂