FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 120,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
The whole family will love these easy ground turkey stuffed peppers. If you love taco night but are looking for something different beyond taco salad or just plain tacos, then taco stuffed peppers are just the thing to change it up and make a whole meal in one dish. Plus, they store really well, so double the recipe and freeze for an easy dinner down the line. You really can’t go wrong making stuffed bell peppers with ground turkey taco meat and layers of melty cheddar cheese!
How To Make Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
These tasty taco stuffed peppers are so easy and take just 10 minutes to prep:
- Prep peppers. Chop off the tops and scoop out the seeds and ribs. Slice a tiny layer off the bottom (without making a hole) so that peppers are able to stand upright.
TIP: The perfect-sized baking dish will help the peppers stay upright.
- Bake peppers. Place the peppers into a stoneware baking dish, open side up. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for about 15 minutes, until the peppers are soft and edges are slightly puckered. Blot any excess liquid with paper towels.
- Saute red onions. Cook them for 5-10 minutes in oil, until translucent and slightly golden.
- Brown turkey. Add ground turkey and cook until browned.
- Season taco filling. Add taco seasoning and water to the pan. Simmer until extra liquid evaporates.
- Add diced tomatoes. Be sure to drain them before adding, but if you forget, you can simmer away the extra liquid.
- Fill peppers. To make the taco meat stuffed bell peppers, spoon the filling into the peppers. Fill them halfway with taco filling, then shredded cheddar, then more filling and more cheddar again.
- Bake. Since everything is cooked at this point, you only need to bake long enough to melt the cheese.
Turkey Stuffed Bell Peppers FAQs
Are turkey stuffed bell peppers gluten-free?
Yes, these healthy stuffed peppers with ground turkey are gluten-free. They don’t contain any grains, flours, or wheat!
Are turkey stuffed peppers low carb?
Yes, these easy ground turkey stuffed peppers are keto and low carb. The full nutrition stats can be found below the recipe card.
Can you use ground beef?
Of course! You’d use the same amount and the instructions would be the same. I usually order this grass-fed beef.
What goes with taco stuffed peppers?
First of all, you need taco toppings! Try these:
- Sour cream
- Diced tomatoes
- Avocado – or guacamole!
- Fresh cilantro
There are more ideas in my keto tacos post, too.
Keto Stuffed Bell Peppers With Ground Turkey Storage Instructions
Can you make them ahead?
Yes, you can make this taco stuffed peppers recipe ahead. You can do any or all of these steps in advance:
- Pre-bake the peppers
- Make the filling
- Assemble the filling layers inside the peppers
When you’re ready to eat them, simply pop them into the oven to heat and melt the cheese.
How to store keto taco stuffed peppers
Store these stuffed bell peppers with ground turkey in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze taco stuffed bell peppers?
Yes, you can also freeze these turkey stuffed bell peppers for 2-3 months. You can bake them from frozen, but it takes a while, so it’s better to thaw them in the fridge overnight if you know you’ll need them.
How to reheat taco meat stuffed peppers
Reheat these peppers in the microwave, or for best results, in a 350 degree F oven, until hot.
More Easy Keto Mexican Dinner Recipes
If you like this turkey stuffed peppers recipe, you might also like some of these other keto dinners with a Mexican flair:
- Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers – Different meat and different peppers, but otherwise these are very similar to this Mexican stuffed bell pepper recipe.
- Instant Pot Steak Fajitas – Just 5 minutes to prep and 7 minutes to cook your steak fajita dinner.
- Mexican Ground Beef Casserole – An easier way to get similar flavors, and you can make it with ground turkey, too.
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa – My favorite topping for a Chipotle copycat salad!
- 7-Layer Taco Dip – Perfect for a lighter take on taco night, or for bringing to a potluck.
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
Tools To Make Turkey Taco Stuffed Peppers:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Stoneware Baking Dish – This dish fits 6 stuffed bell peppers with ground turkey perfectly!
- Meat Chopper – A must for browning ground meat.
Healthy Ground Turkey Taco Stuffed Peppers Recipe
EASY ground turkey stuffed bell peppers make a simple low carb dinner that everyone loves. Just 7 ingredients needed for the perfect taco stuffed peppers!
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
To prepare the peppers, chop off the tops and scoop out the seeds and ribs inside. Slice a tiny layer off the bottoms (without making a hole if possible) so that the peppers are stable standing upright.
Place the peppers into a stoneware baking dish, open side up. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
Bake peppers for about 15 minutes, until they are soft and the edges are slightly puckered. Blot any extra liquid inside the peppers using paper towels.
Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a large saute pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced red onions and saute for 5-10 minutes, until translucent and slightly golden.
Add the taco seasoning and water to the pan. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, until the extra liquid evaporates.
Stir in the diced tomatoes.
Once the peppers are done baking, remove from the oven and reduce heat to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). If there is any liquid inside the peppers, blot it dry with paper towels. Spoon the meat filling into the pepper cavities, filling them halfway.
Sprinkle with shredded cheese on top, about 2-3 tablespoons (10.4 - 15.6 grams) per pepper. Top with the remaining meat filling and remaining cheese.
Return to the oven for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1 turkey stuffed pepper
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT COPY/PASTE recipe instructions to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂