FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 120,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Keto cheesy taco skillet recipes like this one are close to my heart. It’s how I first started cooking! Long before I got creative with my recipes, my dinner staple was tossing whatever meat and vegetables I had on hand into a pan and going to town. A beef taco skillet stir fry is still my go-to dinner when I’m tired and need something that is fast, healthy, and doesn’t leave a mountain of dishes to wash afterwards. Low carb one-pan dinners like this keto taco skillet dinner are the perfect solution for those nights that you don’t know what to do, when you don’t feel like cooking, or when it’s 6pm and you realize you have no idea what you’re having for dinner.
I practically always have the ingredients for this one on hand. I’ll bet you do, too.
Besides, you can’t go wrong with taco flavors! A keto cheesy taco skillet is always a hit at our house. Even though it has a little heat, adding sour cream mellows it out for the kids.
This keto taco skillet recipe was originally published on September 27, 2015, and was republished in January 2020 to add better photos and better tips. I also added cheese to the new version, but feel free to omit if you prefer a dairy-free version.
What Is A Ground Beef Taco Skillet?
This cheesy beef taco skillet recipe is basically taco fillings cooked in a skillet. It takes the best flavors that you know and love from tacos… without the need for any tortillas!
All the flavor, none of the carbs… plus, less work and fewer dishes to wash. It’s my kind of meal!
How To Make A Cheesy Taco Skillet
This easy taco skillet dinner comes together in less than 25 minutes, making it a great keto and low carb dinner option. Let me show you how we make this quick taco skillet dinner recipe:
- Brown the ground beef. Add ground beef to the hot skillet and cook, breaking up the beef with a spatula or spoon, until browned.
- Season the beef. Add taco seasoning (I make homemade taco seasoning, but you could also buy it) and water. Cook until the water evaporates.
- Add onions and bell peppers. Reduce the heat and add the onions and bell peppers. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
TIP: I used green peppers, but feel free to use red or yellow if you like. Your choice!
- Add tomatoes. Add the diced tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes, until the extra moisture has evaporated.
- Top the low carb taco skillet. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top. Cover with a lid and heat just until cheese melts. Top with green onion.
Topping Ideas for Taco Skillet Dinners
This easy beef taco skillet recipe is plenty flavorful on it’s own, but I’m never one to dismiss extra toppings! Here are some of my favorite ideas:
- Shredded lettuce – Crispy crunch! Or serve the keto taco skillet bake over lettuce to turn it into a salad.
- Sour cream – Adds creamy and cooling flavor to your keto cheesy taco skillet.
- Tomato Salsa or Avocado Salsa – Add some heat if it’s desired.
- Guacamole – Avocados are always a good idea! My guacamole isi always a big hit, but sliced avocados will work in a pinch.
- Cheddar Crisps – If you feel like you want some chips to scoop up this one pot cheesy taco skillet, try my chips made from cheese!
- Keto Queso Dip – Feel free to pour some of this on top!
Can You Make A Taco Skillet Ahead?
Yes, you can definitely make this keto cheesy taco skillet ahead. There are a few different options that will work:
- Cook the easy beef taco skillet recipe entirely, let cool, refrigerate in an airtight container for 4-5 days. Reheat in the microwave or a hot skillet.
- Cook the cheesy veggie taco skillet entirely, but don’t add the cheese. Let cool, refrigerate in an airtight container for 4-5 days. Reheat in the microwave or a hot skillet and melt cheese.
- Brown ground beef ahead only. When ready to serve, add other vegetables and finish cooking. This option is great if you want to batch cook ground beef for multiple recipes.
Can You Freeze A Beef Taco Skillet?
Yes, you can freeze this beef taco skillet dinner recipe. Let it cool completely and store in an airtight freezer container for 2-3 months.
Let it thaw overnight, then reheat in the microwave or a hot skillet until heated through. Top with green onions and enjoy!
More Keto Taco Recipes
- Healthy Taco Salad – Another super easy weeknight dinner under 30 minutes!
- Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats – A great option if you need some starchier fillings for other family members, and you can still easily make it low carb by skipping the rice and using meat instead of beans.
- Seven-Layer Taco Dip – You’ll love this delicious taco inspired party appetizer! Serve it with chips for the non-keto crowd and with bell peppers or keto chips for low carb followers.
- Crock Pot Taco Casserole – Let the slow cooker do all the work and dinner will be ready when you are.
For more ideas, check out my full guide to keto tacos.
Tools To Make Cheesy Taco Skillet:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Ground Meat Chopper – When you need to break up ground meat for this beef pepper taco skillet, this is the tool to make it happen!
- Nonstick Ceramic Skillet – The best part about this cheesy taco skillet? It’s done in just ONE pan! Easy dinner, easy clean-up!
- Avocado Keeper – Keto cheesy taco skillet nights at our house always require avocados, and this is the best way I’ve found to store them!
Reader Fave Keto Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Low Carb Keto Cheesy Taco Skillet Recipe
A keto cheesy taco skillet recipe in just 25 minutes, with 7 simple ingredients! This easy beef taco skillet dinner is perfect for busy weeknights.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook about 10 minutes, breaking apart the beef with a spatula or spoon, until browned.
- Add the taco seasoning and water. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the extra water is absorbed or evaporates.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the onions and bell peppers. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the diced tomatoes. Simmer for a few minutes, until hot and any extra moisture evaporates.
- Reduce heat to low. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Cover with a lid and heat just until the cheese melts. Remove from heat and top with green onions.
Made this recipe? Leave a rating! ★★★★★
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups, or 1/4 entire skillet*
*This is a generous serving size. Depending on your needs, you could divide the skillet into 6 servings instead of 4 for smaller portions and 9g net carbs per serving instead.
Video Showing How To Make Cheesy Taco Skillet:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Cheesy Taco Skillet!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Carb count excludes sugar alcohols. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. We'd LOVE for you to share a link to this recipe, but please DO NOT COPY/PASTE the recipe instructions to social media or websites. You may share a photo with a link back instead.