FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERSGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Zucchini taco boats are a fresh and healthy twist on taco night. They are made with taco meat, cheese, and plenty of fresh toppings… all the best parts of a taco! And, these taco stuffed zucchini boats also go really well with cilantro lime taco slaw.
What Are Zucchini Taco Boats?
Zucchini taco boats have all the taco fillings and toppings you love, but instead of putting them in flour or corn tortillas, we are putting them into partially hollowed out zucchini.
Are taco zucchini boats keto?
Yes, these taco stuffed zucchini boats are keto friendly. Each serving (2 boats!) has just 6.9 grams net carbs.
Are taco boats gluten free?
Yes, these taco boats are gluten-free. Some recipes might not be, if they are made with breadcrumbs or flour.
Why You’ll Love This Taco Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
- Cheesy taco flavors
- Tender zucchini and crunchy toppings
- Comes together in just a few simple steps
- 15 minutes prep time
- Healthy and naturally low carb
Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for Mexican stuffed zucchini boats, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Zucchini – The amount of filling accounts for medium zucchini, not too large or small. You can also swap for yellow squash.
- Oil – I used olive oil, but avocado oil also works.
- Seasonings – Sea salt, black pepper, and taco seasoning. I used my homemade taco seasoning, but store bought is fine as well.
- Ground beef – You could also swap this for ground turkey or chicken, or even use pre-cooked shredded chicken, similar to the filling I use for stuffed poblano peppers.
- Mexican cheese blend – You can also use a cheddar or sharp cheddar cheese. I went a little light on the cheese this time, because this recipe is already so flavor packed, but feel free to double it if you like a super cheesy topping.
- Tomatoes – I used chopped roma tomatoes. Quartered cherry tomatoes also work great.
- Red onions – I love the flavor of red onions, but you could also use white or yellow onions.
- Avocado – Make sure it’s ripe!
- Fresh cilantro – A must for taco anything in my opinion, but if you’re not a cilantro fan, you can skip this.
How To Make Zucchini Taco Boats
This section shows how to make healthy stuffed zucchini with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Prep zucchini. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise, and use a melon baller or spoon to scoop out some of the center to make the “boat.”
- Roast. Drizzle zucchini with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Roast until soft.
TIP: To avoid watery zucchini, pat dry. Some moisture can collect in the wells, so just use paper towels to dry them out before adding any fillings.
- Make taco filling. Brown ground beef in a large non-stick skillet. Stir in taco seasoning and water and cook to form the sauce.
- Assemble taco boats. Stuff taco meat into zucchini boats and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake until cheese has melted. Top with tomato, onion, avocado, and cilantro.
- To store: Store Mexican zucchini boats in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- To meal prep: Roast zucchini, make filling, and prep toppings. Then assemble and bake right before serving.
- To reheat: Reheat boats without fresh toppings in the microwave or in a 350 degree F oven until hot.
- To freeze: Freeze boats without fresh topp.
More Ideas For Zucchini Boats
If you like this recipe for zucchini taco boats, you might also like some of these other healthy zucchini recipes that stuff fillings into zucchini:
Tools To Make Zucchini Taco Boats
Taco Zucchini Boats Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Zucchini Taco Boats Recipe
Switch up taco night with these healthy low carb zucchini taco boats! This recipe for taco stuffed zucchini boats has a cheesy beef filling + fresh toppings.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Slice the zucchini lengthwise. Use a spoon or melon baller to scoop out some of the centers of the zucchini to make wells.
Place the zucchini onto the baking sheet, cut side up. Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
Roast the zucchini in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, until soft.
Stir in the taco seasoning and water. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
When the zucchini are done roasting, use paper towels to pat any moisture from the wells.
Stuff the taco meat into the zucchini boats. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Bake for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and browned.
Top the zucchini taco boats with diced tomatoes, onions, avocado, and cilantro, if using.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 2 taco boats
Video Showing How To Make Zucchini Taco Boats:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe — it’s located directly above the ingredients list. It’s the easiest way to learn how to make Zucchini Taco Boats!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂