FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Are you looking for an easy dinner with zucchini? YES, the answer is always yes. And, the answer today is sausage stuffed zucchini boats. You’ll love this easy, healthy Italian sausage stuffed zucchini recipe, because it comes together quickly and tastes SO good! I love zucchini boat recipes all year long, but especially this time of year when zucchinis are at their peak. So don’t delay in trying these Italian stuffed zucchini boats. They are the perfect combination of fresh vegetables, a savory filling, and melt-y cheese! I always get requests for more easy low carb dinner recipes, and keto zucchini boats are it. Filling, healthy, and delicious!
The prep time is minimal (just 10 minutes!), and you’ll have a delicious Italian dinner that the whole family will love when it’s done cooking. Keep reading to learn how to make stuffed zucchini with sausage!
How To Make Zucchini Boats
The first step in keto zucchini boats, is the zucchini boats themselves! It’s a simple process, and once you have them you can stuff them with just about everything.
- Prep zucchini. Cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise.
- Scoop out the center of the zucchini. You can use a spoon or melon baller to scoop out some of the zucchini, so that you have room for the stuffing.
- Roast the zucchini. Drizzle it with some olive oil and sprinkle with salt, then bake until it’s soft. Now it’s ready to be turned into Italian sausage stuffed zucchini!
How To Make Stuffed Zucchini With Sausage
Making the stuffed zucchini with sausage comes down to three simple steps:
- Prep zucchini boats. See above for exact steps.
- Cook your sausage filling. Saute onions, sausage, and garlic together.
- Finish filling. Then you’ll remove from heat and stir in some canned diced tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning.
- Stuff zucchini boats. Top your keto zucchini boats with the filling and then some shredded mozzarella.
- Bake the stuffed zucchini. Into the oven they go to get nice and melt-y!
Are Zucchini Boats Healthy?
Yes! This keto stuffed zucchini boats recipe is healthy. I love that they are an easy meal that includes everything. Vegetables, protein, and plenty of fat to keep us satisfied.
These sausage stuffed zucchini boats get tons of flavor from the filling. It’s a mixture of sausage, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and some grated Parmesan cheese. All good stuff!
How Many Calories in Zucchini Boats?
There are 582 calories in two of these Italian sausage stuffed zucchini boats. The full nutrition stats can be found below in the recipe card but here are some of the other highlights.
In this recipe for keto stuffed zucchini boats, two boats have:
- 582 calories
- 29 grams protein
- 44 grams fat
- 11 grams net carbs
Can Zucchini Boats Be Frozen?
Yes, zucchini boats can be frozen. If you want to freeze extra sausage zucchini boats, you can freeze them in an airtight container for a few months. Let them thaw before reheating them.
The texture of the zucchini might be altered a bit, but they will work pretty well. Alternatively, if you want to prep and freeze this sausage stuffed zucchini recipe, you can also cook the filling, and assemble and bake the zucchini boats right before serving.
More Zucchini Boat Recipes
If you are zucchini obsessed like me, check out all of my low carb keto zucchini recipes! And if you loved this Italian sausage stuffed zucchini recipe, you might like some of these other keto zucchini boats recipes:
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boats – These buffalo chicken stuffed zucchini boats (keto) are spicy, savory, low-carb, and gluten free.
- Low Carb Zucchini Bruschetta Boats – These gluten-free, low carb zucchini boats are packed with a delicious fresh and sun-dried tomato bruschetta filling and topped with gooey mozzarella cheese.
- Beef Stuffed Summer Squash Boats – These easy stuffed summer squash boats are made with yellow squash & zucchini. They’re packed with gooey Swiss cheese, ground beef & shiitake mushrooms.
Tools To Make Keto Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Nonstick Baking Sheet – Bake these keto zucchini boats on a nonstick pan. This is my favorite set.
- Ceramic Nonstick Pan – I love these nonstick pans, they make sautéing up the filling for this Italian sausage stuffed zucchini recipe easy, easy, EASY!
- Chef’s Knife – A staple in every kitchen, a chef’s knife makes cutting, dicing, and chopping fast and easy.
Keto Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Keto Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats Recipe
This easy Italian sausage stuffed zucchini recipe (sausage stuffed zucchini boats) is healthy & delicious! Keto zucchini boats take 10 minutes to prep.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
Slice the zucchini lengthwise. Use a spoon or melon baller to scoop out some of the centers of the zucchini to make wells.
Place the zucchini onto the baking sheet, cut side up. Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
Roast the zucchini in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, until soft.
Meanwhile, heat another tablespoon (15 mL) of olive oil a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced onions. Saute for about 10 minutes, until starting to brown.
Add the pork sausage, and cook for about 10 minutes, breaking apart with a spatula, until browned.
Make some room on the pan, add the minced garlic, and saute for about a minute, until fragrant. Then, mix the garlic into the sausage.
Remove the sausage from heat. Stir in the tomatoes, grated Parmesan, and Italian seasoning. Adjust salt to taste, if needed.
When the zucchini are done roasting, use paper towels to pat any moisture from the wells.
Stuff the sausage mixture into the zucchini boats. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.
Bake for about 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and browned.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 2 zucchini boats
Video Showing How To Make Stuffed Zucchini Boats:
Scroll up a bit to see the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Stuffed Zucchini Boats!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂