FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERSGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
One of the best ways to use all that summer zucchini? Zucchini lasagna, or for a fun twist, these zucchini lasagna roll ups with ricotta, mozzarella, and naturally sweet Italian marinara! They have all of the lasagna flavors we love, in a light and low-carb zucchini “pasta” for a version that’s just as satisfying without all the carbs.
Try these zucchini lasagna rolls for a light summer meal that the whole family will love, and you’ll love this… zucchini rolls take just 15 minutes to prep!
How To Make Zucchini Roll Ups
Zucchini lasagna roll ups are super easy to make – here’s how:
- Prep zucchini noodles. Slice the zucchini with a mandoline slicer so that they are about 1/4 inch thick. Place the noodles on a lined baking sheet and brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until soft and mostly dry.
- Make tomato sauce. In a small bowl, stir together tomato sauce, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, and minced garlic. Adjust salt if necessary. Spread 3/4 cup sauce in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Make cheese filling. In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta, Parmesan, egg, and Italian seasoning.
- Assemble. Pat the zucchini slices with paper towels to remove any excess water or oil. Spread a tablespoon of ricotta mixture over each zucchini slice, then sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Roll up. Place sideways into the baking dish. Repeat with the rest of the slices.
- Top. Add sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake. They are done when they are hot and melty. Garnish with fresh basil and/or chopped parsley.
Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups FAQs
Are zucchini lasagna rolls keto?
Yes, these easy zucchini lasagna roll ups are keto! Zucchini is very keto friendly.
Each serving of this zucchini roll recipe has 9.3 grams of net carbs – a good amount for a full meal. If you need to reduce carbs more, you could reduce the amount of marinara.
Can I use pre-made marinara sauce?
Yes, if you’d like to simplify this recipe even more, you can use a pre-made marinara sauce – just make sure it’s a sugar-free one! That’s what I did for eggplant lasagna.
Can I make regular zucchini lasagna instead of rolls?
Sure! You can simply layer the zucchini slices, marinara, and cheese layers instead of rolling them up before baking. Or just follow my zucchini lasagna recipe here, which uses pesto instead of marinara for the sauce.
Zucchini Lasagna Rolls Storage Instructions
Can you make this ahead?
Yes, you can make zucchini rolls ahead. You can either make the recipe completely and just wait to bake it right before serving, or you can prep a few things to make it come together quickly:
- Slice zucchini. Wait to bake the slices, but you can cut and store them in the refrigerator.
- Make cheese filling. Mix up the cheese filling and store in the refrigerator.
- Make sauce. Make the sauce and store in the refrigerator.
How to store baked zucchini roll ups
Store these low carb zucchini lasagna roll ups in the refrigerator for up to 5-7 days.
Can you freeze zucchini lasagna rolls?
Yes, you can freeze these healthy zucchini lasagna rolls. Simply assemble without baking and freeze for 2-3 months.
You can later bake right from frozen, or thaw first and then bake.
How to reheat zucchini rolls
Reheat the zucchini lasagna roll ups in a 350 degree F oven until heated throughout. The microwave works as well.
More Keto Zucchini Recipes
I have no shortage of zucchini recipes here on Wholesome Yum! And for good reason, it makes a great low carb and keto veggie and replacement for pasta. If you like this easy zucchini roll ups recipe, you might like some of these other low carb keto zucchini recipes:
- Zucchini Noodles – This really is the ultimate guide to zoodles! All of my tips and plenty of options for how to cook them.
- Zucchini Pizza Crust – Just 4 ingredients and you can actually pick up a slice of this with your hands.
- Keto Pho – Can you guess what the noodles are made out of in this recipe?
- Easy Baked Ratatouille – Combine all the summer flavors in this classic dish – and the sauce inspired the one used for these roll ups.
- Zucchini Muffins – If you want your veggies sweet, these muffins made with zucchini AND chocolate chips are for you.
Tools To Make Zucchini Rolls
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Mandoline Slicer – This kitchen tool is a must! The best way to get uniform slices. (And great for so many other veggies and recipes!)
- 8×8 Glass Baking Dish – This is the dish I have. It’s great for baking and storage, as it comes with a lid!
Easy Baked Zucchini Roll Ups Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Zucchini Roll Ups Recipe
Zucchini rolls are fun to make and fun to eat! With just 15 minutes prep time, this EASY zucchini lasagna roll ups recipe is perfect for a light, low carb summer meal.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cut off the ends of the zucchini. Use a mandolin to slice the zucchini lengthwise into thin sheets, 1/4 inch (6.35 mm) thick.
Arrange the zucchini slices in a single layer on the lined baking sheet. Brush both sides with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast zucchini slices in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until soft and mostly dry.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together tomato sauce, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, and minced garlic. Adjust salt to taste if needed. Spread 3/4 cup (177 ml) of the sauce at the bottom of an 8x8 square glass casserole dish (this one is the perfect size). Reserve the remaining sauce for later. Set aside.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta, Parmesan, egg, and Italian seasoning.
Arrange the zucchini slices in a single layer on a large cutting board. Pat dry with paper towels to soak up any extra water or oil.
Spread a tablespoon of ricotta mixture over each zucchini slice. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of mozzarella. Roll up tightly and place sideways into the baking dish. Repeat with all the zucchini slices.
Top each zucchini roll with 1/2 tablespoon (7 ml) of the remaining sauce, then 1/2 tablespoon (7.05 g) of mozzarella.
Bake for about 10 minutes, until the cheese on top is melted. Garnish with fresh basil.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 4 zucchini rolls, or 1/4 entire recipe.
Video Showing How To Make Zucchini Rolls Ups:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Zucchini Rolls Ups!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂