This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
These zucchini pizza boats are a delicious way to enjoy pizza flavors with a healthy zucchini “boat” instead of the crust. (You can also make a zucchini pizza crust for a more authentic feel, or zucchini pizza bites for fun appetizers, but the boats are even easier.) Prep the zucchini pizza recipe in just 10 minutes, bake in 20, and this simple meal is ready to eat!
Why You’ll Love This Pizza Boat Recipe
- Classic pizza flavor
- Saucy and cheesy texture
- Just 10 minutes prep
- A lighter way to enjoy pizza
- All the pizza flavor, with a veggie boost!
Zucchini Pizza Boats Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for healthy zucchini pizza boats, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Zucchini – Look for dark green zucchini that doesn’t have any indents or bruising. You can also use yellow summer squash, like I do for these squash boats.
- Olive oil – Use your favorite olive oil for classic Italian flavor, but avocado oil will also work.
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Marinara sauce – Make sure to use a sugar-free marinara sauce, many versions are made with added sugars.
- Mini pepperoni slices – Use the mini pepperoni if you can find it, otherwise large slices will work if you cut them into quarters.
- Mozzarella cheese – I use pre-shredded mozzarella cheese for convenience, but you can shred it yourself if you like.
How To Make Zucchini Pizza Boats
This section shows how to make baked zucchini pizza boats with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prep. Slice zucchini lengthwise and scoop out some of the center with a melon baller to form a well.
- Roast. Drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt and black pepper. Roast zucchini until soft.
- Dry. When zucchini is done roasting, pat dry with a paper towel to remove moisture.
- Assemble. Spread marinara inside each zucchini boat and top with mozzarella cheese and mini pepperoni slices.
- Bake. Bake and broil until cheese is melted and browned.
- Sauce swap – Try swapping the marinara with alfredo sauce or pesto sauce.
- Veggie pizza boats – Top the pizzas with bell peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions.
- Meat lover’s – Add sausage and bacon, in addition to the pepperoni.
- Hawaiian – Top with Canadian bacon and pineapple tidbits, similar to my Hawaiian pizza bowls.
- To store: Store leftover pizza boats in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- To meal prep: Prep and bake zucchini boats then assemble and bake when you are ready to serve them.
- To reheat: Reheat boats in a 350 degree F oven for best results.
- To freeze: Freeze pizza boats for 2-3 months. Keep in mind the zucchini may be a bit mushier after thawing.
What To Serve With Zucchini Pizzas
Serve this baked zucchini pizza recipe with a simple salad or veggie:
More Healthy Pizza Recipes
If you like this zucchini pizza low carb recipe, you might also enjoy these other healthy pizza options:
Zucchini Pizza Boats Recipe
Zucchini Pizza Boats Recipe
Make low carb zucchini pizza boats when pizza cravings hit! This healthy, easy zucchini pizza recipe is ready in just 30 minutes.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Slice the zucchini lengthwise. Use a spoon or melon baller to scoop out some of the centers of the zucchini to make wells.
Place the zucchini onto the baking sheet, cut side up. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
Roast the zucchini in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, until soft.
When the zucchini are done roasting, use paper towels to pat any moisture from the wells.
Spread 2 tablespoons (29.5 milliliters) of marinara inside each zucchini boat. Then top with mozzarella cheese and mini pepperoni slices.
Bake for 5 minutes. Then, broil for about 3-5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and browned.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 2 zucchini boats
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂