This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
It’s juicy, tropical, and has a bit of heat — this fresh pineapple salsa recipe is a delicious spin on a classic. Unlike blended tomato salsa, this one is chunky like a pico de gallo. And while I usually make savory salsas, this is my fave (along with mango salsa) when I want something sweet. I’ll show you how to make the best pineapple salsa with just a few easy ingredients, plus share tasty ways to serve it (not just for chips!).
Why You’ll Love This Pineapple Salsa Recipe
- Fruity, spicy flavor, with just the right amount of sweetness
- Crisp and juicy texture
- Simple, fresh ingredients
- Easy to make, and make ahead
- Done in 20 minutes
- A tasty upgrade to proteins, or a mouthwatering appetizer all on its own
Pineapple Salsa Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for pineapple jalapeño salsa, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Pineapple – Get a firm, fresh, ripe pineapple with bright green leaves, slightly yellow color on the outside (though more yellow works too), and skin that gives slightly when squeezed. If it smells fruity at the base of the stem, it’s perfectly ripe! I don’t recommended using canned pineapple, as it just won’t taste the same, but it can work in a pinch.
- Tomato – Use a ripe, medium tomato. If your tomato has a lot of seeds, you can remove them before using, so that the salsa won’t be too watery.
- Avocado – Pineapple avocado salsa is the best kind! The creamy texture goes perfectly with the other ingredients that are crisp, plus it balances out the sweetness and heat.
- Red Onion – A white onion can work as well.
- Fresh Cilantro – A must for any salsa in my opinion, but feel free to omit if you’re not a fan.
- Jalapeno Pepper – Adds heat! If you don’t want your salsa too spicy, remove the seeds and ribs first (use gloves!).
- Lime Juice – Adds tang and helps the flavors develop. This recipe uses 3 tablespoons, but use more if you like. Fresh squeezed works best here, but bottled juice will also work for convenience.
- Salt & Pepper
How To Make Pineapple Salsa
This section shows how to make salsa with pineapple, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Mix. In a large bowl, combine pineapple, tomato, onion, cilantro, avocado, and jalapeño.
- Season. Add lime juice and salt, then stir. Taste and add more lime juice or salt to your liking.
- Rest. Allow finished pineapple avocado salsa to rest for 10 minutes before serving, to help the flavors develop.
- Mango Pineapple Salsa – Swap half of the pineapple with mango. (You can do the same thing with peaches, for a pineapple peach salsa.)
- Pineapple Habanero Salsa – Use habanero chili instead of jalapenos for even more heat.
- Grilled Pineapple Salsa – Cook slices of pineapple on the grill first, then dice and use in the recipe.
- Pineapple Tomatillo Salsa – Swap the tomato for 1-2 tomatillos instead.
- Add Other Fruits & Veggies – Try strawberries, red bell pepper, or cucumber. You can also add black beans if you want it more hearty.
- Add More Spices – Chili powder and paprika add extra flavor.
You can easily make this dish ahead of time! Store this salsa recipe with pineapple covered in the fridge for up to 5 days. However, add the avocado only the day-of, so that it doesn’t brown. Stir before serving.
Can You Freeze Pineapple Salsa?
Although you can safely freeze salsa, it will be pretty watery after thawing. Also, the texture of many of the fresh vegetables, like tomatoes and avocado, will be ruined. Stick to enjoying it fresh.
What To Serve With Pineapple Salsa
There are so many ways to use this salsa! Try it with:
- Chips – Tortilla chips are the classic choice, but I like to make healthier almond flour tortilla chips.
- Tacos – Pile your favorite tortillas high with your favorite protein (like shredded chicken or barbacoa), shredded cheese, and this salsa. It’s also delicious over a taco salad.
- Chicken – Serve it over grilled chicken in the summer, or with air fryer chicken breast or cilantro lime chicken all year round.
- Fish – Fresh pineapple salsa recipes go particularly well over pan seared salmon, sea bass, or grilled cod.
- Pork – Though it’s less common, air fryer pork chops or baked pork chops go really well with this salsa.
More Spicy Dip Recipes
Add more flavor to your main dishes with these zesty sauces:
Salsa Recipe With Pineapple
Pineapple Salsa Recipe (Quick & Easy!)
This fresh, fruity, and zesty pineapple salsa recipe takes just 10 minutes. It tastes great with chips, tacos, chicken, fish, and more!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a medium bowl, combine the pineapple, tomato, onion, cilantro, avocado, and jalapeño.
Add the lime juice and salt. Stir to combine.
Season to taste with additional lime juice (for zing) and/or salt (for more overall flavor) if it doesn’t taste amazing just yet.
For best flavor and if you have time, let the pineapple salsa rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram, or in our Facebook support group, too – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1/4 cup
Recipe makes 3 1/2 cups.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
I love the creaminess the avocado adds here – thanks for the great recipe!
Made this pineapple salsa to serve in fish tacos. Scrumptious! Added so much freshness and brightness to the dish.
I love this pineapple salsa! So easy to switch it out for mango as well, or just add both of those. A great balance of sweetness and savory, the perfect tropical salsa.
There is nothing like homamde salsa! I could just eat this straight out of the bowl. So good!
We devoured this just with chips, I can’t wait to try it over grilled chicken! So yummy!
I made your pineapple salsa recipe for a potluck dinner. OMG, everyone wanted the recipe and it was devoured very quickly. Thank you for such a great salsa recipe!!
This salsa works just as well on the side of chicken as it does a dip with chips! Really refreshing and easy to make.
This turned out great! It was the perfect mixture of sweet and savory and the textures worked well together.
Loved this recipe! I served it over grilled salmon for some guests and it was a huge hit. Thanks!
Love this recipe. I like a real bite to my salsa so I added extra jalapeños! Yummmm best quick salsa to make and I almost always have all these ingredients on hand. This will be my go to.
This pineapple salsa is one of my new favorite recipes. It’s so delicious.