FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERSGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This easy, healthy avocado chicken salad recipe makes a light and refreshing lunch or dinner that’s perfect for warmer temperatures. Instead of the traditional mayo-based salads, this chicken and avocado salad gets all of its creamy flavor, texture, and healthy fats from avocado. It’s reminiscent of guacamole, and super quick to make.
Healthy chicken salad is one of the easiest recipes to make paleo, keto and whole30. Even with a traditional chicken salad recipe, often times it can be naturally all of the above if you make it with avocado mayo — but I know some people want to make chicken salad without mayonnaise.
I can’t think of any better replacement for mayo in a chicken salad than avocado. It’s super easy to make the swap. And so delicious for just about everyone — even if you don’t have any eating restrictions.
Why You’ll Love Avocado Chicken Salad
Once you try this chicken salad recipe with avocado instead of mayo, you’ll be hooked. It’s creamy, filling, and a great last-minute lunch. What’s not to love?
Quick chicken avocado salad recipe overview:
- What does chicken and avocado salad taste like? This chicken avocado salad with lime and cilantro tastes like a cross between chicken salad and guacamole. The star flavors are chicken and avocado, but you’ll also notice sweetness from red onion, aroma from cilantro, and a kick from jalapeno.
- Is it easy to make? Yes, this is so easy to make, and using pre-cooked chicken makes it even easier!
- How much time will I need? The recipe comes together in about 10 minutes if your chicken is already cooked. If you don’t buy it cooked, you’ll need to make it ahead.
Chicken And Avocado Salad Ingredients
- Avocado – Choose ripe avocados that give a little when you gently squeeze them.
- Lime juice – Fresh lime juice is best, but you can also use bottled to keep it easy.
- Shredded chicken – You have a few options for the chicken. You can use rotisserie chicken, grilled chicken, Instant Pot chicken breast, or even cubed baked chicken breast or pan seared chicken.
- Red onion – I prefer red onion, but white will also work.
- Cilantro – A classic pairing for avocado, but feel free to replace with other herbs if you aren’t a fan.
- Jalapeños – These are optional, add to desired spice level.
- Sea salt & black pepper
How To Make Chicken Salad With Avocado
- Mash. In a medium bowl, mash together avocado and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix. Add the shredded chicken, chopped red onion, cilantro, and diced jalapeños to the bowl and stir everything together.
You can store your salad in the refrigerator for a few hours, but it is best served immediately.
Does avocado chicken salad turn brown?
Yes, chicken salad made with avocado does turn brown, just like guacamole would.
If you’re still set on making it ahead and want to know how to keep avocado chicken salad from turning brown, you can try:
- Prep components only. This is the best option. Dice your onion and jalapenos, and mix together everything except avocado and lime. Mash your avocado with lime juice and fold into the other ingredients when you are ready to serve.
- Adding more lime juice. This helps slow down browning.
- Keeping air out. Plastic wrap flush against the surface can help, but a guacamole keeper would work even better.
Can you freeze avocado chicken salad?
Yes, unlike regular chicken salad, you can freeze chicken salad with avocado. You can use the same methods I use for freezing avocado here.
What To Serve With Avocado Chicken Salad
What’s your favorite way to eat chicken and avocado salad? Here are some ideas:
- Lettuce Wraps – They’re quick, easy and so refreshing in the summer. Use bibb or butter lettuce.
- Crackers – Scoop up the salad with any kind you like. I prefer almond flour crackers or coconut flour crackers.
- Sandwich – Use any bread that fits your preferences! I use my keto bread mix most often to make mine, but this white bread recipe is also popular.
- Stuff In Avocado – To make a chicken salad stuffed avocado, simply serve the chicken salad right in the avocado. Perfect for all the avocado lovers!
- Wraps – Traditional flour tortillas work, but if you want to pair your healthy avocado chicken salad with a just-as-healthy wrap, try my keto flatbread, coconut flour wraps, or cauliflower tortillas with the salad and a lettuce leaf.
Avocado Chicken Salad Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Avocado Chicken Salad Recipe (6 Ingredients!)
This EASY avocado chicken salad recipe is creamy, tangy, and ready in just 10 minutes! Plus, 5 simple ideas for serving this chicken salad with avocado.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Mash the avocado and lime juice together with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Add the shredded chicken, red onion, cilantro, and jalapenos (if using). Stir everything together. Serve immediately.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
Video Showing How To Make Avocado Chicken Salad:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe — it’s located directly above the ingredients list. It’s the easiest way to learn how to make Avocado Chicken Salad!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂