This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This easy, healthy avocado chicken salad recipe makes a light and refreshing lunch or dinner that’s perfect for warmer temperatures. Instead of the traditional mayo-based salads or seasoned versions like buffalo chicken salad, this chicken and avocado salad gets all of its creamy flavor, texture, and healthy fats from avocado. It’s reminiscent of guacamole or my shrimp avocado salad, and super quick to make.
Healthy chicken salad is one of the easiest recipes to make paleo, keto and whole30. Even with a traditional chicken salad recipe, often times it can be naturally all of the above if you make it with avocado mayo — but I know some people want to make chicken salad without mayonnaise.
I can’t think of any better replacement for mayo in a chicken salad than avocado. It’s super easy to make the swap. And so delicious for just about everyone — even if you don’t have any eating restrictions. And for a meatless version, try avocado egg salad instead!
Why You’ll Love Avocado Chicken Salad
Once you try this chicken salad recipe with avocado instead of mayo, you’ll be hooked. It’s creamy, filling, and a great last-minute lunch. What’s not to love?
Quick chicken avocado salad recipe overview:
- What does chicken and avocado salad taste like? This chicken avocado salad with lime and cilantro tastes like a cross between chicken salad and guacamole. The star flavors are chicken and avocado, but you’ll also notice sweetness from red onion, aroma from cilantro, and a kick from jalapeno.
- Is it easy to make? Yes, this is so easy to make, and using pre-cooked chicken makes it even easier!
- How much time will I need? The recipe comes together in about 10 minutes if your chicken is already cooked. If you don’t buy it cooked, you’ll need to make it ahead.
Chicken And Avocado Salad Ingredients
- Avocado – Choose ripe avocados that give a little when you gently squeeze them.
- Lime juice – Fresh lime juice is best, but you can also use bottled to keep it easy.
- Shredded chicken – You have a few options for the chicken. You can use rotisserie chicken, grilled chicken, Instant Pot chicken breast, or even cubed baked chicken breast or pan seared chicken.
- Red onion – I prefer red onion, but white will also work.
- Cilantro – A classic pairing for avocado, but feel free to replace with other herbs if you aren’t a fan.
- Jalapeños – These are optional, add to desired spice level.
- Sea salt & black pepper
How To Make Chicken Salad With Avocado
- Mash. In a medium bowl, mash together avocado and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix. Add the shredded chicken, chopped red onion, cilantro, and diced jalapeños to the bowl and stir everything together.
You can store your salad in the refrigerator for a few hours, but it is best served immediately.
Does avocado chicken salad turn brown?
Yes, chicken salad made with avocado does turn brown, just like guacamole would.
If you’re still set on making it ahead and want to know how to keep avocado chicken salad from turning brown, you can try:
- Prep components only. This is the best option. Dice your onion and jalapenos, and mix together everything except avocado and lime. Mash your avocado with lime juice and fold into the other ingredients when you are ready to serve.
- Adding more lime juice. This helps slow down browning.
- Keeping air out. Plastic wrap flush against the surface can help, but a guacamole keeper would work even better.
Can you freeze avocado chicken salad?
Yes, unlike regular chicken salad, you can freeze chicken salad with avocado. You can use the same methods I use for freezing avocado here.
What To Serve With Avocado Chicken Salad
What’s your favorite way to eat chicken and avocado salad? Here are some ideas:
- Lettuce Wraps – They’re quick, easy and so refreshing in the summer. Use bibb or butter lettuce.
- Crackers – Scoop up the salad with any kind you like. I prefer almond flour crackers or coconut flour crackers.
- Sandwich – Use any bread that fits your preferences! I use my keto bread mix most often to make mine, but this white bread recipe is also popular.
- Stuff In Avocado – To make a chicken salad stuffed avocado, simply serve the chicken salad right in the avocado. Perfect for all the avocado lovers!
- Wraps – Traditional flour tortillas work, but if you want to pair your healthy avocado chicken salad with a just-as-healthy wrap, try my keto flatbread, coconut flour wraps, or cauliflower tortillas with the salad and a lettuce leaf.
Tools To Make Chicken Salad With Avocado
- Avocado Slicer – This 3-in-1 tool makes slicing, scooping, and removing the pit nice and easy.
- Avocado Keeper – These avocado holders help keep your avocado fresh and from turning brown.
Avocado Chicken Salad Recipe
Avocado Chicken Salad Recipe (6 Ingredients!)
This EASY avocado chicken salad recipe is creamy, tangy, and ready in just 10 minutes! Plus, 5 simple ideas for serving this chicken salad with avocado.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Mash the avocado and lime juice together with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Add the shredded chicken, red onion, cilantro, and jalapenos (if using). Stir everything together. Serve immediately.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
Avocado and chicken salad. Lovely combo. Two of my favorites. Have tried different variations of this combo but have to say this one was just great. Loved the flavors. Saving it on my list.
Marisa F Stewart0
We bought a rotisserie chicken at the store to make some quick meals. When I saw this recipe I knew that I’d found our lunch for several days. It was so good and the avocado is so rich and satisfying it doesn’t take much to make you feel full. Next week I think I’ll make more and serve it for dinner. The recipe is a keeper.
What a great recipe to make for lunch! It is delicious and so easy to make and I love it wrapped in some crunchy lettuce.
You had me at avocado salad! I’m such an avo fun myself! And this salad is just perfect for the summer, it’s so quick and easy. Thank you!
This is the perfect keto recipe! Especially for a quick lunch. I love how easy this is to make as well!
This is definitely what I was looking for. Just looking at the recipe and the pictures I know I’m going to love eating this salad. 🙂
Can I substitute lemon juice for the lime juice?
Wholesome Yum D0
Hi Dena, Yes, that would work!
This salad has the best flavor…. love that it’s good for us too!
This is the perfect, quick lunch for me. I love having leftover chicken in the fridge just so I can make chicken salad.
Amy L Huntley0
This is the first time that I have made this recipe. I feel so much better about eating this version of chicken salad. The avocado is so creamy and delicious!
I love the creaminess and nutty taste of Avocado. My all time favorite. This salad is definitely perfect for a Happy Meal option . Love the combination too.
My husband will love this chicken salad with the avocados in it. This is perfect for lunches.
This was a great add to our lunch rotation. We used a good sourdough and it was perfect. Thanks for sharing!
I could eat avocado by the spoonfuls!! This was delicious & I’ll be eating it a ton more!
Delicious. Made lettuce wraps with it.
Anything with avocado is a winner in my book, This salad is so easy to make and so delicious, the combination of the avocado, jalapeño, lime juice and chicken is really amazing. I’ll be making this over and over again.
Amazing!! Best way to prepare chicken salad for sure! I could eat this with crackers, bread, alone..it’s too good!
This avocado chicken salad is yummy.
Absolutely amazing! I love avocados and lime together.
The avocado gives it a very creamy texture and I love the cilantro and lime flavors in this avocado chicken salad too!
Loved this recipe!! I love guacamole and it was delicious like guacamole and had the chicken in it for increased protein! I added some extra fresh squeezed lime juice because I love this flavor! Thank you!!
Simple and delicious. Thanks!
I LOVE this recipe! Today I made it with leftover Christmas turkey I had in the freezer. Avocadoes are one of my favorite foods, and I like having different ways to eat them. Saw this recipe in your Instagram feed last week and just had to try it! It’s really delicious with flax seed crackers.
Thanks Maya! This recipe is easy, delicious, keto-friendly, and low-cal! Can’t get much better than that! 🙂
Maya | Wholesome Yum0
I am so happy to hear that, Lorraine! Have a great day!
Loreto and Nicoletta0
This is a great for lunch. I love that the creaminess from the avocado! Great job!
Maya | Wholesome Yum0
You’re so welcome, Pamela! Hope you liked it.
Somehow I missed it. What does WHOLE30 mean? I love the salad and I’m crazy about avocado mayo. I’m crazy about avocados period.
Maya | Wholesome Yum0
Hi Bobbi, Whole30 is a 30-day reset plan focused on whole foods. It excludes all grains, legumes, dairy, sweeteners (even natural ones), artificial or processed ingredients, and replacement for junk food or dessert even if made with approved ingredients. It’s not meant to be permanent but rather a reset as a start to a healthier way of eating. After the whole30, people often continue with either a low carb, paleo, or generally healthy diet. This recipe works for all of the above.
Does this keep well for leftovers? I love reading your recipes and trying things out!! 🙂
Maya | Wholesome Yum0
Hi Becca, It’s best the day of, but will keep in the fridge for a couple days. It just starts to turn brown from the avocado after some time.
Becca, I cook and shred the chicken, mix it with all the ingredients except the avocado & lime, then cover and refrigerate. In the morning, on the day I plan to take it to work for lunch, I quickly mash 1/2 avocado, add the lime juice and combine with 1/4 of the chicken mixture. Delicious, quick, and no browning! -Lorraine