Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food ListGet It Now
- What Are Sausage Balls?
- Are Sausage Balls Keto?
- Why You’ll Love This Keto Sausage Balls Recipe
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- How To Make Keto Sausage Balls
- Storage Instructions
- Dipping Sauce Ideas For Cream Cheese Sausage Balls
- More Low Carb Appetizer Recipes
- Tools To Make Low Carb Sausage Balls
- Keto Sausage Balls Recipe With Cream Cheese (Easy!)
With spring almost over and summer creeping up in a hurry, I find myself making easy low carb snacks and other keto recipes that I can make quickly and are convenient to grab-and-go. That is where these delicious low carb keto sausage balls with cream cheese fit in perfectly! They require minimal effort, and this easy sausage ball recipe is simply irresistible.
Years ago, I would hear people talk about sausage cheese balls, but I didn’t understand what was so great about them. Then one day I tasted these little balls of food heaven, and it all made sense.
What Are Sausage Balls?
Cream cheese sausage balls are an easy, hearty meatball appetizer made from ground sausage, cheeses (typically cheddar and cream cheese), seasonings, and traditionally, Bisquick.
Are Sausage Balls Keto?
The Bisquick in many sausage ball recipes is not suitable for a keto diet, which is why I swapped it for almond flour in this low carb keto sausage ball recipe. You can’t even tell the difference — they taste just like the real thing!
Why You’ll Love This Keto Sausage Balls Recipe
- Cheesy, rich, and smoky flavor
- Super easy to make
- Ready in less than 30 minutes
- Just 1 net carb each
- Naturally low carb, keto, and gluten-free
- Simple snack you can heat up from the fridge or freezer
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for this keto sausage ball recipe, what each one does, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Almond Flour – This is our Bisquick substitute for keto sausage balls. I highly recommend using Wholesome Yum Almond Flour here, because it’s blanched and super fine, which creates the best texture. Other brands can vary in coarseness. If you want to use coconut flour instead, you can try replacing the 2 cups almond flour with 1/2 cup coconut flour (yes, 1/4 the amount, because coconut flour is very drying!) if you want to try this swap for a nut-free option.
- Shredded Cheese – Makes the recipe for sausage balls cheesy and also helps them stay together. I love the flavor of using sharp cheddar cheese, but you could also use a mild cheddar, or really any other keto cheese you like. I recommend medium-hardness cheeses (like cheddar) over very hard ones (like parmesan cheese).
- Italian Seasoning – Adds flavor. You can use store-bought or make my 5-minute homemade Italian seasoning. If you like some heat in your seasoning, add 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.
- Baking Powder – Makes the keto sausage balls fluffy, so they aren’t so dense. I like this brand, which is non-GMO.
- Ground Sausage – Use any kind of sausage you like — ground pork sausage, mild or hot Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, or even ground chicken or turkey sausage.
- Cream Cheese – I say the best sausage balls are with cream cheese! I recommend plain, full-fat cream cheese. However, savory flavored varieties, such as garlic and herb, would also work nicely.
- Garlic – Optional, but recommended. I prefer to use (two) fresh minced garlic cloves, but you can sustitute 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder if you like. You can also add 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder.
How To Make Keto Sausage Balls
This section shows how to make low carb sausage balls, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prep. Preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with foil. Grease well, so the keto sausage balls don’t stick.
TIP: Foil is recommended over parchment paper.
These keto sausage balls with cream cheese can be baked on parchment paper instead of aluminum foil. However, you tend to get a more browned sausage balls appetizer using foil. It’s up to you!
- Mix dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, cheddar cheese, Italian seasoning, and baking powder.
- Add wet ingredients. Fold in sausage, cream cheese, and garlic.
TIP: Don’t over-mix the meat mixture.
Mixing meat too much can make it rubbery.
- Form. Use a cookie scoop to make uniform sausage cheese balls and place them onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake. Place keto sausage cheese balls for 8 minutes.
- Rotate. Twist (rotate) the balls on the baking sheet, which helps prevent sticking.
- Bake again. Continue baking until the keto sausage balls with cream cheese are just barely cooked through. Not too much, because you’ll broil them next!
- Broil. Place the baking sheet under the broiler for a couple of minutes, until the low carb sausage balls are golden brown.
- Store: Keep sausage cheese balls in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Reheat: You can reheat sausage balls in the oven at 350 degrees F, or in the microwave, until warm. You can also enjoy them at room temperature.
Can You Freeze Sausage Balls?
Yes, you can freeze sausage ball recipes — which is great because this one makes a big batch of 56 pieces. The easiest way that I have found to freeze keto sausage balls with cream cheese is by laying them out on a baking sheet to flash freeze them. After a couple of hours, they will be solid, and you can toss them in a freezer bag. They will last in the freezer for at least 4 months.
Dipping Sauce Ideas For Cream Cheese Sausage Balls
- Keto Honey Mustard – The most popular sausage ball dipping sauce is honey mustard. Since this is a low carb sausage ball recipe, we can make that with a slight modification. You can use Wholesome Yum Keto Honey to make a sugar-free honey mustard that tastes just like the real thing, or just use a powdered sweetener with the recipe in my Wholesome Yum Easy Keto Cookbook.
- Ranch dressing
- Sugar-free BBQ sauce
- Chimichurri sauce
More Low Carb Appetizer Recipes
Looking for more ideas for low carb appetizers? Try these crowd pleasers:
Tools To Make Low Carb Sausage Balls
- Cookie Scoop – You could roll the keto sausage balls by hand, but using a cookie scoop makes them more tender due to less contact with warm hands.
- Baking Sheet – My favorite pan that I use for everything! It has a silicone non-stick surface, so sometimes I even make sausage balls on it without lining it with anything.
Keto Sausage Balls Recipe With Cream Cheese (Easy!)
Make keto sausage balls with cream cheese using just 6 ingredients + 25 minutes! This easy sausage ball recipe makes an irresistible low carb appetizer or snack.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a large bowl, stir together the almond flour, shredded cheddar, Italian seasoning, and baking powder.
Add the sausage, cream cheese, and minced garlic, if using. Mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.
Use a small cookie scoop to form 1 inch balls (2.5 cm) and place onto the baking sheet.
Bake for 8 minutes, then twist the balls in place to reduce sticking. Bake for another 7-8 minutes, until just barely cooked through.
Place the pan under the broiler for another 2 minutes to brown more.
Did You Like It?
Leave a rating to help other readers (this also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site), or get the recipe sent to your inbox.
Serving size: 4 sausage balls
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂