FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Anyone else miss fried restaurant food on keto? ???? Low carb keto mozzarella sticks are a delicious and wholesome way to fulfill those fried appetizer cravings. These keto cheese sticks are super easy to throw together, with just six ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
While they are wonderful for parties, low carb mozzarella sticks also happen to fulfill a junk food craving even if you’re at home by yourself or with your family – without actually eating junk food. They’re packed with protein, fiber, and calcium, so you’re actually getting nutrients when eating these.
I originally made these keto mozzarella sticks baked, but have since updated the recipe a bit to make the breading more crispy if you want to fry them and include pork rinds in the breading. And if you still prefer to bake ’em or avoid the pork rinds, there’s an option for that below as well.
Of course, the best part is that these low carb mozzarella sticks are so darn easy. Seriously, anyone could make these. My young daughter even helped me out with the stirring and dipping!
This keto mozzarella sticks recipe was originally published on December 28, 2016, and was republished in May 2020 to add better photos, useful tips, 2 different cooking methods, and answer common questions.
How To Make Keto Mozzarella Sticks
- Prep ingredients. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Prepare three bowls: coconut flour, whisked egg, and almond flour mixed with pork rinds (this is the breading mixture).
- Bread the mozzarella sticks. Dredge mozzarella in coconut flour first – this helps the egg wash stick. Dip it in the egg, then roll in almond flour breading mixture until coated well.
TIP: Use one hand for the dry dredging and breading, and the other hand for the wet egg wash. This will help keep the breading bowl dry so that the breading sticks.
- Freeze the low carb mozzarella sticks. This is an important step, otherwise the cheese will melt during cooking and keeping the keto cheese sticks in one piece will be impossible.
- Cook cheese sticks. Once they are frozen solid, you can bake or fry the keto cheese sticks. Both options work, but check the FAQ below on why I prefer one of the methods over the other.
Keto Mozzarella Sticks FAQs
Are mozzarella sticks keto?
No, most mozzarella sticks are made with flour so aren’t low carb. But don’t worry, you can still enjoy cheese sticks on keto. Just make this mozzarella sticks keto friendly recipe instead!
Can I make vegetarian keto mozzarella sticks?
Yes, you can. Simply omit the pork rinds and use all almond flour instead of 1/2 and 1/2. (The almond-flour-only version is shown in the video on the recipe card below.) They will be slightly less crispy this way.
Can I make low carb mozzarella sticks nut-free?
Yes, you can. Simply omit the almond flour and use only pork rinds.
Is there a difference between baking vs frying mozzarella sticks?
Yes, there is a difference, and it’s especially noticeable in keto mozzarella sticks without breadcrumbs.
If possible, I highly recommend frying in oil (no need to deep fry) to get the crispiest, browned exterior. Most of the pictures in this post, including the one below, are the fried version.
Can you make them in an air fryer?
Yes, you can! I recommend using the same method as these air fryer mozzarella bites. You’ll just need to swap the high carb breading with the kind in this keto mozzarella sticks recipe instead.
However, if you want to bake the mozzarella sticks, you absolutely can and they are still delicious – just not quite as crispy.
Here is an older photo of the original recipe I made of the baked low carb mozzarella sticks without pork rinds (only almond flour):
Make Ahead & Storage Instructions
Can you make keto mozzarella sticks ahead?
Since they need to be frozen before baking anyway, these low carb fried mozzarella sticks are the perfect appetizer to make ahead. You can prepare them the day before, or even a few days before!
When you’re ready to devour keto mozzarella sticks, simply fry them quickly (preferred) or bake them in the oven for 8 minutes.
How to store keto cheese sticks
Store these keto mozzarella sticks with pork rinds in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven or a hot skillet until cheese is hot and melt-y.
Can you freeze low carb mozzarella cheese sticks?
Yes, you can freeze low carb mozzarella cheese sticks! In fact, you need to freeze them before you cook them, so it’s easy to store them in the freezer until you’re ready to bake or fry them.
More Keto Appetizer Recipes
If you like this keto mozzarella sticks recipe, you might also like some of these other keto appetizer recipes:
- Zucchini Fries – These use a simple parmesan breading, but you can also use the same breading from these keto mozz sticks to make the zucchini fries more crispy.
- Mini Keto Corn Dogs – I may have created these for my kids, but I secretly love them, too!
- Low Carb Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms – These delicious morsels are secretly packed with veggies.
- Keto Soft Pretzels – You won’t believe that these are keto! They taste like the real thing.
- Sausage Balls – Satisfying, protein-rich, and utterly delicious!
Tools To Make Keto Mozzarella Sticks
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Baking Sheet – This anti-warp, nonstick pan is definitely one you should add to your collection. They are my favorite and perfect for keto cheese sticks.
- Parchment Paper – Lining your baking sheet with parchment paper keeps these keto mozzarella sticks from sticking.
- Glass Nesting Bowls – These are my go-to bowls to use in the kitchen. Every size you need to make these mozzarella keto sticks is in there!
Keto Friendly Mozzarella Sticks Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Low Carb Keto Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
A low carb keto mozzarella sticks recipe with a crispy outside and gooey, cheesy inside? YES! Keto cheese sticks need just 6 ingredients - super easy!
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Place coconut flour in a small bowl. Beat the egg in a second small bowl. Mix the almond flour, pork rinds, and Italian seasoning in a third bowl.
- Dredge each piece of mozzarella in coconut flour. Dip it in the egg, shaking off the excess. Roll in the almond flour mixture until well coated, then place on the lined cookie sheet. Repeat with all the mozzarella (don't let the pieces touch on the cookie sheet).
- Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for at least one hour, or until ready to bake. (Don't skip this step! It's necessary to prevent the cheese from oozing out during baking.)
Frying instructions (recommended):
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, fry the mozzarella sticks in a single layer, 1-2 minutes per side. They are done when they are golden brown and soft inside when pressed gently.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Take the cookie sheet out of the freezer and place in the oven (preferably onto the second rack from the lowest). Bake for 4-5 minutes, until the bottom side is golden. Flip and bake for 3-4 more minutes, until golden on the other side.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 4 low carb mozzarella sticks
*You'll have coconut flour left over. I subtracted this from the nutrition info, but either way it's not a significant difference.
Nutrition facts do not include oil if you use the frying method.
Video Showing How To Make Keto Mozzarella Sticks:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Keto Mozzarella Sticks!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂