This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
These keto stuffed mushrooms taste so satisfying that everyone will ask for the recipe! If you like cheesy keto appetizers like spinach artichoke dip or ranch dip, you’ll love the stuffing in these mushrooms. (Hint: there’s a lot of sausage, bacon, and cheese involved!)
Keto stuffed mushrooms come together just as fast as my vegetarian spanakopita stuffed mushrooms, but are more filling and hearty.
Why You’ll Love This Keto Stuffed Mushroom Recipe
- Delicious bacon, garlic, and cheese flavors
- Creamy sausage filling with crispy bacon
- Common ingredients
- Quick prep time with simple steps
- 6.2g net carbs per serving (or less than 2.1g per mushroom)
- Naturally gluten-free and low carb appetizers!
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for keto stuffed mushrooms, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Mushrooms – Cremini are my favorite variety, but white mushrooms work as well. Wipe with a damp paper towel to remove excess dirt and detach stems.
TIP: Remove mushroom stems fast!
To remove stems for keto stuffed mushrooms, hold the mushroom head with a good grip, place your thumb against the stem and gently push toward your index finger. The stem should pop out in a single piece.
- Bacon – If you aren’t a fan of cooking bacon on a skillet, you can try air fryer bacon or bacon in the oven. However, you will need extra cooking fat to brown the sausage.
- Garlic – Mince it fresh for the best flavor, or use jarred minced garlic.
- Ground Italian Sausage – Use any spice level you prefer. You can also substitute ground beef or ground turkey if you prefer.
- Cream Cheese – My keto stuffed mushrooms recipe uses a full-fat variety, but lower fat versions (or neufchâtel cheese) will also work.
- Fresh Parsley – Although fresh is best, you could use 2 teaspoons dried parsley instead of the 2 tablespoons fresh. You could also substitute fresh basil, or use 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning instead.
- Mozzarella Cheese – You can shred fresh or get pre-shredded. Cheddar cheese would also taste great!
- Grated Parmesan Cheese – I used parmesan cheese in a shaker for convenience, but freshly grated parmesan would give you a fresher, creamier taste.
What about salt and pepper?
This recipe doesn’t have any, because ground sausage is typically already seasoned well, and several of the other ingredients are salty. However, you can lightly season the mushrooms if you like.
How To Make Keto Stuffed Mushrooms
This section shows how to make low carb stuffed mushrooms, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prep mushrooms. Preheat the oven. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or foil. Place the mushroom caps, open side up, on the sheet pan with space between them. Set aside.
- Cook bacon. Arrange bacon in a single layer on a cold large skillet. Heat over medium heat, turning occasionally, until browned and crispy. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate, leaving remaining grease in the skillet, and set aside.
- Saute garlic. Add minced garlic to the skillet. Saute until fragrant.
- Cook sausage. Add ground sausage. Cook, stirring and breaking apart with a spatula, until browned and cooked through. Drain excess grease.
- Add cheeses. Stir in the cream cheese, fresh parsley, mozzarella, and parmesan, until smooth.
- Add bacon. Chop or crumble the bacon. Stir into the sausage mixture.
- Stuff. Spoon the sausage cream cheese mixture into the keto stuffed mushroom caps, filling them very full.
- Top. Add more mozzarella on the top. Press the cheese into the tops of low carb stuffed mushrooms to help it stick.
- Bake. Cook keto stuffed mushrooms in the oven until the tops are golden brown. Cover the top with foil (make sure the foil is not touching the cheese), and continue baking until mushrooms are soft.
- Store: Let keto stuffed mushrooms cool completely. Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat: Place mushrooms on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F (176 degrees C) for about 10 minutes or until warmed through. Reheating in the microwave also works.
- Freeze: Cool mushrooms completely. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet in the freezer for 2 hours. Once frozen solid, transfer to an airtight freezer-safe container or freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, or reheat directly from frozen at 350 degrees F.
More Keto Appetizer Recipes
If you liked these keto stuffed mushrooms, and you’re looking for some delicious low carb appetizers recipes, here are some of my favorites that please any crowd:
Keto Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
Keto Stuffed Mushrooms
These keto stuffed mushrooms are loaded with flavor from bacon, sausage, garlic, cream cheese, mozzarella, and parmesan. So easy to make!
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Place the mushroom caps (without stems), open side up, on the sheet pan, with space between them. Set aside.
Arrange the bacon in a single layer on a cold large skillet. Heat over medium heat for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned and crispy. Remove the bacon to a paper towel lined plate, leaving the bacon grease in the skillet, and set aside.
Add the minced garlic to the skillet. Saute for about 1 minute over medium heat, until fragrant.
Add the ground sausage. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring and breaking apart with a spatula, for 8-10 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Drain any grease from the skillet.
Stir in the cream cheese, fresh parsley, 1/4 cup of mozzarella, and 1/4 cup of parmesan, until smooth.
Chop or crumble the bacon. Stir into the sausage mixture.
Spoon the sausage filling into the mushroom caps, filling them very full.
Top the mushrooms with remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella, about 3/4 teaspoon per mushroom. Press the cheese into the tops to help it stick.
Bake keto stuffed mushrooms for 10 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown.
Tent the top with foil (make sure the foil is not touching the cheese), and bake about 10 more minutes, until the mushrooms are soft.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 3 stuffed mushrooms
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂