This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This asparagus stuffed chicken breast is just what you want in an easy chicken dinner. Picture this: juicy chicken stuffed with asparagus and cheese, seared to golden brown, and baked to perfection. And with common ingredients and 30 minutes prep time, what’s not to love?
If you love stuffed chicken recipes, you’ll also want to try my spinach stuffed chicken breast or pesto stuffed chicken. This chicken wrapped asparagus might be my all-time favorite, though, because the filling and chicken together is enough to be a one-pan meal.
Chicken breast stuffed with asparagus and cheese is a great way to use up this fresh spring veggie. For more ways to enjoy your asparagus, try cheesy baked asparagus, bacon wrapped asparagus, or simple roasted asparagus.
This easy asparagus wrapped chicken recipe was originally published on May 12, 2018, and the post was republished in March 2021 to add updated pictures, useful tips, and some recipe improvements.
Chicken Wrapped Asparagus Ingredients
This chicken stuffed with asparagus and cheese recipe is made with simple ingredients:
- Chicken breast – Use a high-quality chicken breast for best flavor.
- Olive oil – Any kind you like will do, or you could also use avocado oil.
- Lemon juice – Use fresh or bottled to make it easy.
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Garlic – Fresh or jarred is fine here.
- Provolone cheese – Buy pre-sliced cheese or thinly slice it yourself.
- Asparagus – Look for thin, small spears. If they are really thick, slice in half lengthwise.
- Smoked paprika – Optional, but this gives the chicken great color and flavor. You can also use regular paprika if you don’t have smoked.
How To Make Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast
This chicken wrapped asparagus may be fancy enough for entertaining, but it’s actually pretty easy to make:
- Brine. Place chicken breasts into a large bowl filled with warm water and salt. Stir to dissolve and brine for 10-20 minutes.
- Prep chicken. Remove chicken from brine and pat dry. Butterfly each chicken breast and use a mallet to pound to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Brush. Whisk olive oil and lemon juice together and brush onto the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top. Spread garlic over the chicken breast. Add provolone cheese and asparagus. Roll up the chicken tightly.
- Sear. Once you have the chicken wrapped around asparagus and cheese, brown it on both sides in a hot oven-safe skillet with oil.
TIP: The chicken does not have to cook all the way through at this step. Just sear enough to brown it. For maximum browning, don’t move the chicken around the pan.
- Bake. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until cooked through.
Chicken Stuffed With Asparagus And Cheese FAQs
Is stuffed chicken breast healthy?
Yes, this is a great meal that’s loaded with protein and veggies.
Is asparagus stuffed chicken keto?
Yes, this chicken wrapped asparagus has just 3 grams net carbs per serving, making it a great low carb and keto dinner.
Can I use a different cheese?
Yes, you can really use any cheese that melts well. Havarti, Monterey jack, fontina, or mozzarella are all great options.
Can you make it ahead?
Yes, you can complete all of the steps except the baking. Then refrigerate until you’re ready to cook. Brush with lemon juice and olive oil right before baking and bake as directed.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze chicken wrapped asparagus?
Yes, you can freeze the chicken in a freezer bag for 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Reheat chicken stuffed with asparagus and cheese in a 350 degrees F oven for best results. The microwave works fine as well, but can dry out the chicken a bit.
What To Serve With Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
This chicken breast stuffed with asparagus and cheese is pretty filling on its own, but if you would like to add a side, here’s what I would suggest:
- Bread – Healthy bread recipes such as fathead dinner rolls, flaxseed bread, or keto garlic cheese bread recipes pair well with chicken.
- Salad – Salad recipes such as creamy cucumber salad, Greek salad, or Israeli salad would all be bright sides with the baked chicken breast stuffed with asparagus. (I served it with a mix of greens, cucumbers, and radishes shown above.)
- Veggie Side – Vegetable sides such as mashed cauliflower, roasted vegetables, or green bean bundles would all be great veggie sides. You can also add some additional roasted asparagus on the side if the amount stuffed inside the chicken feels a bit light.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
If you like this asparagus stuffed chicken breast recipe, you might also like some of these other chicken dinner recipes:
- Crispy Baked Chicken Legs – 10 minutes is all the prep it takes to make these crispy chicken legs.
- Crock Pot Whole Chicken – Just 15 minutes to prep this meal, then the slow cooker will do all the work!
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup – Creamy and healthy, this comfort-food soup is delicious.
- Roasted Chicken and Vegetables – Dinner is ready in just 35 minutes. It’s a super simple meal, perfect for weeknights.
- Oven Roasted Chicken Thighs – This secret method makes the skin so crispy and the meat so juicy.
Tools To Make Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Meat Mallet – Easily flatten the chicken breast with this tool, so that it’s easy to roll.
- Pastry Brush – Use this for brushing olive oil and lemon juice over the chicken stuffed with asparagus and cheese.
- Oven-Safe Skillet – This one has a good weight so it sears well, but it’s also nonstick and goes from stovetop to oven.
- Meat Thermometer – The best way to ensure your chicken is nice and juicy, not dry.
Juicy Seared Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Recipe
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe
Cheesy asparagus stuffed chicken breast makes a quick and easy weeknight dinner! With simple ingredients, it comes out browned, juicy, lemony, and so delicious.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Place the chicken breasts into a large bowl. Fill with warm water and add a couple tablespoons of salt. Stir to dissolve. Set aside to brine for 10-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
When the chicken breasts are done brining, remove from the bowl and pat dry.
Butterfly each chicken breast - cut horizontally without cutting all the way through, then "open" it up so that it lays flat and is thinner. Use a flat-sided meat mallet to pound into a circle 1/4 in (6 mm) thick.
Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and the lemon juice. Brush one side of the chicken with the mixture, then season with salt and pepper. Flip over and repeat on the other side.
Spread minced garlic down the center of each piece of chicken. Top with 2 slices of provolone, then 3 trimmed spears of asparagus.
Roll up the chicken, with the asparagus and cheese inside. Repeat with all the pieces. Brush the tips of the asparagus sticking out with any leftover oil/lemon juice mixture. If desired, sprinkle with smoked paprika.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear for 3-5 minutes per side, until both sides are golden brown.
Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, until cooked through. Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 asparagus stuffed chicken breast
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂