This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
If you love classic Italian flavors, this baked chicken Caprese recipe is for you! It features a juicy chicken breast that’s topped with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, and a balsamic glaze.
When the summer tomatoes are ripe, I love using them in anything I can, but I especially love coming up with twists on Caprese salad. Be sure to try these flavors on caprese skewers, avocado Caprese salad, crustless quiche, chicken caprese salad, or Caprese stuffed avocado.
What Is Chicken Caprese?
Chicken Caprese is a delicious, easy chicken dinner made by topping chicken with the classic Caprese salad components: tomato, mozzarella, and fresh basil.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Caprese Recipe
- Bursting with classic Italian flavors
- Juicy chicken
- Very simple to make
- Just 5 minutes to prep and it’s ready in 30
Caprese Chicken Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for Italian chicken Caprese, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Chicken breasts – I prefer to use free-range chicken, but you can use whatever type you like best. Look for medium-sized chicken breasts, about 8 ounces is a good size.
- Olive oil – Olive oil imparts a traditional flavor, but you could also use avocado oil.
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Fresh mozzarella cheese – I prefer fresh mozzarella for the perfect melty cheese topping, but hard shredded or sliced mozzarella would also work.
- Roma tomatoes – Look for bright, red tomatoes. Roma is a great size, but you can also use other small tomatoes.
- Balsamic glaze – I love the flavor of homemade balsamic glaze, plus it has no added sugar. You can buy it as well, but be aware that most store-bought glazes do have added sugar.
- Fresh basil – A must for any Caprese recipe!
How To Make Chicken Caprese
This section shows how to make Caprese chicken with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Season. Place chicken breasts in a large baking dish and brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Bake. At this point the chicken won’t be fully cooked through, about 145 to 150 degrees F.
- Top. Top chicken with mozzarella and tomato slices.
- Bake again. This time, bake until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Finish. Let the Caprese baked chicken rest for 5 minutes, then drizzle with balsamic glaze and top with fresh basil.
- Swap in sun-dried tomatoes – Try using sun-dried tomatoes instead of the fresh romas.
- Use chicken thighs – Swap the chicken breasts for boneless chicken thighs. The cook time might vary a bit.
- Caprese stuffed chicken – Instead of adding the Caprese toppings over the chicken, cut a slit in each chicken breast and stuff the tomatoes and mozzarella inside before baking.
- Add pesto – Baked pesto chicken is a very similar dish, with pesto sauce on the chicken before adding the toppings.
- Grilled chicken caprese – Follow the same steps, but cook the chicke non the grill instead of in the oven.
- To store: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- To reheat: Reheat in a 350 degree F oven for best results, or microwave until just warm.
- To freeze: Freezing is not recommended, as the tomato will get mushy.
What To Serve With Caprese Chicken
Serve the oven baked Caprese chicken with one of these simple sides:
- Roasted Asparagus
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Zucchini Noodles
- Roasted Eggplant
- Baked Ratatouille
- Tomato Cucumber Avocado Salad
More Easy Chicken Recipes
If you like this balsamic Caprese chicken recipe, you might also like some of these other chicken recipes:
- Mediterranean Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
- Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken
- Grilled Bruschetta Chicken
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
Tools To Make Easy Chicken Caprese
- Baking Dish – I use this all the time, it goes straight from oven to table.
- Meat Thermometer – The best way to ensure your chicken is cooked perfectly.
Baked Chicken Caprese Recipe
Baked Chicken Caprese Recipe
You'll love this EASY baked chicken Caprese recipe. It's juicy and flavorful, yet healthy, made with simple ingredients, and ready in just 30 minutes!
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Place chicken breasts into a large baking dish, with enough room to have space between them. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then repeat on the other side.
Bake for about 20 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees F (65 degrees C).
Top the chicken with mozzarella, then tomato slices. Bake for 5-10 more minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and top with fresh basil.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram, or in our Facebook support group, too – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 chicken breast
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
Easy and delish! Hubby both enjoyed it on a bed of pasta tossed with garlic infused olive oil. This is a keeper!
Easy to make and was wonderful! My hubby raved. Making the balsamic vinegar (used monk fruit sweetener) was fragrant to say the least! The taste was wonderful!!
I love how this recipe has minimal ingredients yet looks great.
This baked Chicken Caprese is yum.
Amy L Huntley0
Caprese Recipes are my absolute favorite. Especially in the summer when I want to use up all of our garden veggies. Loving the baked chicken caprese. So warm and flavorful.
I make this meal all the time!! It’s mine & my hubby’s favorite! It’s the most flavorful combination of ingredients!
What a simple and delicious recipe! I love how well it goes with so many different sides.
Amazing!! This is my kind of meal!! Love caprese anything!
This is so perfect for dinner last night! Eveyone at my house enjoyed it!
Delicious. My husband raved about it.
Oh wow! This baked chicken caprese is so delicious and very juicy! My family absolutely loved this for dinner the other night! Such a great and easy dinner recipe!
This chicken caprese has definitely become a new favorite recipe of mine! So delicious!
What a delicious summer recipe! Bursting with flavour, not heavy but utterly satisfying. We loved it!
This chicken is so juicy and very delicious! We love caprese, so refreshing and full of flavor! Such a great and fantastic. Can’t wait to make this again soon!