Free: Healthy 5-Ingredient Meals EbookGet It Now
When the summer tomatoes are ripe, I love using them in anything I can, but I especially love coming up with twists on Caprese salad. Be sure to try these flavors on Caprese skewers, avocado Caprese salad, crustless quiche, chicken Caprese salad, or Caprese stuffed avocado.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Caprese Recipe
- Bursting with classic Italian flavors
- Juicy, tender chicken
- Very simple to make
- Ready in 30 minutes
- Easy chicken dinner
Caprese Chicken Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for Italian chicken Caprese, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Chicken breasts – I prefer to use free-range chicken, but you can use whatever type you like best. Look for medium-sized chicken breasts, about 8 ounces is a good size.
- Olive oil – Olive oil imparts a traditional flavor, but you could also use avocado oil.
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Fresh mozzarella cheese – I prefer fresh mozzarella for the perfect melty cheese topping, but hard shredded or sliced mozzarella would also work.
- Roma tomatoes – Look for bright, red tomatoes. Roma is a great size, but you can also use other small tomatoes.
- Balsamic glaze – I love the flavor of homemade balsamic glaze, plus it has no added sugar. You can buy it as well, but be aware that most store-bought glazes do have added sugar.
- Fresh basil – A must for any Caprese recipe!
How To Make Chicken Caprese
This section shows how to make Caprese chicken with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Season. Place chicken breasts in a large baking dish and brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Bake. At this point the chicken won’t be fully cooked through, about 145 to 150 degrees F.
- Top. Top chicken with mozzarella and tomato slices.
- Bake again. This time, bake until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Finish. Let the Caprese baked chicken rest for 5 minutes, then drizzle with balsamic glaze and top with fresh basil.
- Swap in sun-dried tomatoes – Try using sun-dried tomatoes instead of the fresh romas.
- Use chicken thighs – Swap the chicken breasts for boneless chicken thighs. The cook time might vary a bit.
- Caprese stuffed chicken – Instead of adding the Caprese toppings over the chicken, cut a slit in each chicken breast and stuff the tomatoes and mozzarella inside before baking.
- Add pesto – Baked pesto chicken is a very similar dish, with pesto sauce on the chicken before adding the toppings.
- Grilled chicken caprese – Follow the same steps, but cook the chicke non the grill instead of in the oven.
- To store: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- To reheat: Reheat in a 350 degree F oven for best results, or microwave until just warm.
- To freeze: Freezing is not recommended, as the tomato will get mushy.
What To Serve With Caprese Chicken
Serve the oven baked Caprese chicken with one of these simple sides:
- Roasted Asparagus
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Zucchini Noodles
- Roasted Eggplant
- Baked Ratatouille
- Tomato Cucumber Avocado Salad
More Easy Chicken Recipes
If you like this balsamic Caprese chicken recipe, you might also like some of these other chicken recipes:
- Mediterranean Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
- Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken
- Grilled Bruschetta Chicken
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
Baked Chicken Caprese Recipe
You'll love this EASY baked chicken Caprese recipe. It's juicy and flavorful, yet healthy, made with simple ingredients, and ready in just 30 minutes!
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Place chicken breasts into a large baking dish, with enough room to have space between them. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then repeat on the other side.
Bake for about 20 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees F (65 degrees C).
Top the chicken with mozzarella, then tomato slices. Bake for 5-10 more minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and top with fresh basil.
Did You Like It?
Leave a rating to help other readers (this also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site), or get the recipe sent to your inbox.
Serving size: 1 chicken breast
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂