This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This Mediterranean chicken thighs recipe is an easy and fast dinner that’s full of fresh flavors! Mix up the Mediterranean chicken marinade and marinate the chicken, then cook it and top it with simple, fresh toppings. You’re going to love it!
What Is Mediterranean Chicken?
This recipe for Mediterranean chicken thighs consists of a simple marinated chicken that’s topped with the best Mediterranean flavors: tomatoes, olives, red onions, feta cheese, and fresh basil!
Why You’ll Love This Mediterranean Chicken Recipe
- Bursting with Mediterranean flavors
- Juicy chicken + fresh toppings
- Just marinate, cook, and top!
- Ready in just 20 minutes
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for Mediterranean style chicken, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
For the Mediterranean chicken marinade:
- Olive oil – Use extra virgin olive oil for best flavor.
- Balsamic vinegar – Use a high quality vinegar that doesn’t have added sugar.
- Garlic – Use fresh or jarred garlic.
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Italian seasoning – You can purchase it, but I like to make homemade Italian seasoning.
For the Mediterranean chicken:
- Chicken thighs – Use boneless, skinless thighs. Otherwise, bone-in will work as well, but you’ll need to cook them for a bit longer.
- Roma tomatoes – Or any other kind of tomato you like!
- Black olives – You can use regular black olives or even kalamata olives.
- Red onions – Red onions are the best for true Mediterranean dishes.
- Feta cheese – To easily make this Mediterranean chicken recipe dairy-free, skip the feta cheese.
- Fresh basil – Other fresh herbs are great too, like parsley or dill.
How To Make Mediterranean Chicken Thighs
This section shows how to make the best Mediterranean chicken with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Mix up Mediterranean chicken marinade. In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic, garlic, sea salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Marinate chicken thighs. Marinate the chicken for at least an hour and up to 24 hours.
TIP: Don’t over-marinate. The maximum time is 24 hours; beyond that, they can get mushy.
- Cook chicken. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Shake off any excess marinade from the thighs and place them into the skillet in a single layer. Sear on both sides.
TIP: Use an instant read meat thermometer to check that the chicken is done. Internal temperature should be 165 degrees F at the thickest part.
- Add toppings. Top with tomatoes, olives, onions, feta, and basil ribbons.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Wait to add toppings until right before serving.
Can you freeze Mediterranean chicken?
You can freeze the chicken for 2-3 months, but don’t freeze the toppings.
Reheat the Mediterranean chicken thighs in a hot skillet or microwave, without the toppings. Add toppings after reheating.
What To Serve With Mediterranean Chicken
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Crispy Baked Chicken Legs
- Creamy Lemon Parmesan Chicken
- Grilled Bruschetta Chicken
- Pan Seared Chicken Breast
Easy Mediterranean Chicken Recipe
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Mediterranean Chicken Recipe
This Mediterranean chicken recipe takes just 20 minutes! These easy Mediterranean chicken thighs have a quick marinade and fresh, bright toppings.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning for the marinade. Add the chicken thighs and move around to coat. Cover and marinate for at least 1 hour, up to 24 hours.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Shake off excess marinade from the chicken thighs and place them in a single layer on the skillet. Sear for 5-6 minutes per side (reduce heat if the chicken browns too much), until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Top the chicken with tomatoes, olives, onions, crumbled feta, and basil ribbons, in that order.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 2 chicken thighs with toppings
Note: nutrition is calculated with 1/3 of the marinade as the rest is discarded.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂