This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This baked pesto chicken recipe is one of my oldest last-minute lazy chicken dinners, I’m surprised I haven’t shared it with you yet! It only takes about 5 minutes to prep, it’s loaded with fresh and simple ingredients (chicken breast, basil pesto, mozzarella, tomatoes!), and it’s a crowd pleaser for kids and adults alike. Try it once, and I’m pretty sure this basil pesto chicken breast will be a go-to meal in your family too, especially in the summer months when there’s so much basil everywhere.
I make my pesto mozzarella chicken with chicken breast, but you can also use chicken thighs if that’s what you have around. I also love making pesto salmon — it’s just as easy, and uses the same method and ingredients, minus the mozzarella.
What Is Pesto Chicken?
This healthy chicken pesto recipe features chicken breast that’s topped with pesto sauce, mozzarella cheese, and tomatoes. It’s fresh and flavorful, with Italian flair.
Pesto Chicken Recipe Ingredients
This chicken with pesto and mozzarella comes together with just 5 ingredients, plus salt and pepper:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – Look for breasts that are about the same size so they cook evenly. I use free-range chicken from here delivered to my door.
- Basil pesto – I’ve linked to my pesto recipe, but you can also use store-bought. It’s up to you.
- Fresh mozzarella cheese – This will come in a ball or a log, and contains more moisture than “regular” semi-firm mozzarella. Regular shredded or sliced mozzarella does work as well, but I think it tastes better with fresh mozzarella.
- Roma tomatoes – The size of roma tomatoes works well for this dish, but you could use any slicing tomato.
- Fresh basil – Look for basil without any brown spots on it.
- Sea salt & black pepper
How To Make Pesto Chicken
Let me show you how easy it is to make chicken with pesto sauce:
- Bake chicken. Place chicken breasts into a large baking dish (this one is the perfect size and goes from oven to table beautifully!). Season both sides with salt and pepper, then spread the top with pesto sauce. Bake.
- Add toppings. Layer the mozzarella cheese and tomato slices on top of chicken and bake for another 5 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Rest. Let chicken rest (this locks in the juices) and serve with fresh basil ribbons on top.
TIP: If you prefer your chicken to be browned, you can pan sear chicken breast first in an oven safe skillet for 3-4 minutes per side (until browned but not fully cooked through). Then, add the pesto and other toppings, and transfer to the oven for 5-10 minutes until chicken is cooked and cheese is melted.
You can make this ahead, but it’s best baked fresh. If you’d like to prep some of it ahead you can:
- Make pesto (if not using store bought)
- Assemble chicken in baking dish and season and top with pesto. Wrap with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Can you freeze pesto chicken?
Yes, you can freeze baked pesto chicken for 2-3 months.
Reheat the chicken in a 350 degrees F oven if possible for the juiciest chicken, but the microwave will work as well. The toppings make a pesto chicken bake less prone to drying out than a plain chicken breast.
What To Serve With Pesto Chicken Breast
Wondering what goes well with pesto chicken? Try one of these options:
- Pasta – An Italian meal definitely makes you think of pasta. I like to use healthier versions like shirataki noodles, spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles.
- Salads – Salad recipes such as kale crunch salad, Israeli salad, a classic Greek salad, or a simple romaine salad with Caesar dressing pair very well with chicken and pesto.
- Vegetable Sides – Vegetable sides like sauteed asparagus, roasted broccoli (shown above!), or sauteed zucchini all go well with healthy basil pesto chicken breast recipes like this one. Or try this dandelion greens recipe for something a bit unusual.
Tools To Make Pesto Chicken Bake
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Large Baking Dish – Serve the baked pesto chicken breast right in this baking dish, it’s functional and beautiful.
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer – This is the best way to tell if your chicken is done.
Baked Basil Pesto Chicken Recipe
Pesto Chicken (5 Ingredients!)
An easy baked basil pesto chicken recipe in just 25 minutes! Aromatic pesto, sweet tomatoes, and gooey mozzarella make pesto chicken breast juicy and flavorful.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Place chicken breasts into a large baking dish, with enough room to have space between them. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Spread pesto over each chicken breast.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Top the chicken with mozzarella, then tomato slices. Bake for about 5 more minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes, then top with fresh basil to serve.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram - I'd love to see it!
Serving size: 1 chicken breast
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂