This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Chicken adds an instant protein boost to any salad, and Caprese is no exception! That’s why I know you’ll love this Caprese salad with chicken. It’s one of my favorite ways to make Caesar salad with chicken or green goddess salad flavorful and filling. Same goes for Caprese salads! This chicken Caprese salad has loads of flavor from fresh mozzarella, basil, and a balsamic glaze, and chicken to make it an easy meal.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Caprese Salad Recipe
- Classic Italian flavors
- Fresh veggies with tender chicken
- Simple ingredients
- Ready in 20 minutes
- Low in calories, big on flavor!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for Caprese salad with chicken, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
For The Chicken Marinade:
- Chicken Breast – I used boneless skinless chicken breast and cooked it in the air fryer. You can also use boneless chicken thighs, or even pre-cooked shredded chicken.
- Balsamic Vinegar – Use a high-quality balsamic for best flavor.
- Olive Oil – I use extra virgin olive oil, but any variety will work. Avocado oil also works, but EVOO has a more classic flavor for this dish.
- Spices – Garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, sea salt, and black pepper.
For The Salad:
- Romaine Lettuce – You can also use spring mix, iceberg, or any lettuce you prefer.
- Cherry Tomatoes – These have the best appearance for Caprese salad with chicken, but you can use grape tomatoes or any other tomato you like.
- Fresh Mozzarella Balls – No other cheeses will do for that classic Caprese flavor! I recommend the kind that comes in a tub in water, rather than the vacuum sealed kind, as the pieces are larger and prettier in the tub version. If you can’t find mini mozzarella, you can also use a large ball of fresh mozzarella chopped into bite-sized pieces.
- Fresh Basil Leaves – Avoid using dried basil here, as it just won’t taste the same.
- Balsamic Glaze – I make a homemade balsamic glaze, but you can often find it in the grocery store — just keep in mind that these kinds usually have added sugar.
How To Make Caprese Salad With Chicken
This section shows how to make Caprese chicken salad, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Marinate. In a large bowl, add all marinade ingredients except for meat. Add chicken and turn to coat. Marinate for at least 10 minutes, or in the fridge for up to 8 hours.
- Cook chicken. Cook chicken based on your preferred cooking method (checking with a meat thermometer for doneness), then rest for five minutes. Slice into strips against the grain, then cover to keep warm.
- Make glaze. If making homemade balsamic glaze, prepare it according to this balsamic glaze recipe. Set aside.
- Toss. Add lettuce, tomatoes, and mozzarella balls to a salad bowl and toss.
- Finish. Garnish this chicken Caprese salad recipe with sliced chicken, fresh basil leaves and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
- Add Avocado – Makes the dish more filling, and the creamy avocado pairs perfectly wit the other flavors.
- Add Red Onion – Not classic Caprese, but it would work very well here.
- Make Balsamic Dressing – I kept it simple by using a balsamic reduction, but you can make a balsamic vinaigrette instead if you like. Simply whisk together two parts olive oil with one part balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Other nice additions for the dressing include Dijon mustard, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Creamy balsamic works as well.
- No Greens – I think this recipe works best with greens, but you could also build a more classic looking Caprese salad with chicken by alternating larger slices of tomato, mozzarella, basil, and chicken breast.
Although this salad is best fresh, there are ways to store it:
- Store: Keep covered in a container for 2-3 days in the fridge, keeping in mind that basil and lettuce will soften quickly.
- Meal prep: Make chicken and balsamic glaze ahead of time, storing separately. Chop vegetables and store. Combine everything just before serving.
- Freeze: Avoid freezing salad recipes, including this one, as the texture will change too much.
More Caprese Inspired Recipes
If you love the classic flavor combo of Caprese salad, you’ll enjoy these easy recipes too!
Chicken Caprese Salad Recipe
Chicken Caprese Salad Recipe (20-Min Meal!)
Caprese salad with chicken adds protein to a classic dish to make it a meal! Learn how to make chicken Caprese salad in just 20 minutes, with simple ingredients.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
For The Chicken:
For The Salad:
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a large bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, sea salt, and black pepper. Add the chicken breasts and turn to coat in the marinade. Set aside to marinate for at least 10 minutes, or marinate in the fridge for up to 8 hours.
Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes, then slice against the grain. Cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, make the balsamic glaze like this.
In a large salad bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and chicken.
Sprinkle the salad with basil leaves and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups salad, 1 chicken breast, and 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂