FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 120,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This easy crustless quiche recipe was inspired by my summer herb obsession… fresh basil! Keto crustless quiche Caprese is made without crust, and gets its inspiration from Caprese salad – one of my favorite uses for fresh basil. Think “the brunch take” on summer’s best salad!
This easy keto crustless quiche recipe was originally published on June 30, 2016 and updated in July 2020 to add in helpful tips and step-by-step photos. Here’s one of the original photos if you’re curious!
I first made this quiche when one of my first basil plants was growing out of control and I needed to use up a lot of the basil quickly. But, the method I use here makes a good base for any low carb quiche recipe, even if you want to change up the fillings.
For me, this one is definitely toward the top of the list for the best crustless quiche recipe!
If you love quiche, be sure to try out keto quiche Lorraine as well – found in my Easy Keto Cookbook.
How To Make A Crustless Quiche
The instructions here are for a quiche caprese, but you can use the same method for a basic crustless quiche recipe, no matter what fillings you want to use. Check the FAQ’s further below for how to make crustless quiche using a variety of different fillings.
- Make caprese filling. Combine tomatoes, basil, minced garlic, and mozzarella pieces in a bowl. Transfer mixture to the bottom of a round glass pan.
- Whisk eggs. Whisk together eggs, almond milk, sea salt, and black pepper. Pour egg mixture over tomatoes and basil.
- Bake. Bake quiche Caprese until almost set. Dot the remaining mozzarella cheese on the top of the partially baked quiche and bake until golden brown. Drain any excess liquid from tomatoes and garnish with fresh basil ribbons.
TIP: If you can tolerate a little natural sugar, you can even lightly drizzle balsamic vinegar or glaze on top. That part is totally optional, though.
Crustless Quiche Recipe FAQs
How do you make crustless quiche using different fillings?
While I opted for a Caprese version, this is actually an excellent basic crustless quiche recipe that you can dress up any way you like.
The method is very similar to my vegetable frittata recipe, we just bake crustless quiche in the oven only:
- Pre-cook vegetables IF they need to be cooked. One of the reasons I picked quiche Caprese is that it’s not necessary to cook the fillings. Tomatoes and basil hold up pretty well uncooked. But with most vegetables, you’ll want to cook them before adding to the pan.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. This is your base.
- Bake. If you want cheese on top of your frittata, it’s best to add that halfway or toward the end of cooking, to avoid burning it.
If you need ideas for crustless quiche fillings, these all work great:
- Bacon or sausage
- Keto vegetables – such as zucchini, bell peppers, broccoli, spinach, etc. As mentioned above, pre-cook these by sauteing or steaming first.
- Cheese – You can use hard cheeses like gruyere, cheddar, or gouda, or soft ones like feta, fresh mozzarella, or goat cheese
What is the difference between a frittata and a quiche?
Here are the main differences between a crustless quiche and a frittata:
- The cooking method. Crustless quiche recipes are simply baked in the oven, while a frittata starts on the stove top and moves to the oven later.
- The amount of milk. Quiche has more milk than a frittata does.
- The type of pan. Quiche with or without crust is made in a pie pan, while a frittata typically uses a cast iron pan so that it can go from stove top to oven.
Can you make it with a crust?
Pre-bake the crust first, then follow the rest of the recipe. You’ll need to cover the crust edges with foil or a pie crust shield to prevent burning it.
Is crustless quiche keto?
Yes, this is keto friendly crustless quiche, but you don’t have to be keto to enjoy it. Most crustless quiche recipes are naturally keto because they are low in carbs, but they are delicious to serve for anyone.
Each serving (1/6 of the quiche) has just 2.9 grams net carbs. It makes a great breakfast, brunch or even lunch.
Can you make this crustless quiche recipe dairy-free?
Yes, you can easily make this recipe dairy-free! Simply omit the mozzarella or use your favorite dairy-free cheese alternative.
Can you make it nut-free?
Yes. Use heavy cream or half & half instead of the almond milk. Coconut milk beverage (the thin kind in a carton, not the thick kind in a can!) works fine as well.
Easy Crustless Quiche Storage Instructions
Can you make it ahead?
Yes, you can make this crustless caprese quiche ahead of time. My easy crustless keto quiche makes a great meal prep breakfast or lunch option as it can be made ahead and reheated when you’re ready to eat it.
How to store crustless quiche
Store this crustless vegetable quiche in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze crustless egg quiche?
Yes, you can freeze crustless quiche for 2-3 months.
Let thaw in the refrigerator for a few hours before reheating in a 350 degree F oven. I don’t recommend reheating in the microwave, which can make it soggy.
How to reheat quiche
Crustless quiche recipes can be reheated in the oven at 350 degrees F, until hot.
More Keto Brunch Recipes
Crustless quiche is perfect for brunch, don’t you agree? If you like this caprese quiche recipe, you might also like some of these other ideas for brunch:
- Perfect Omelette – Filled with veggies and topped with avocado, this is the healthiest way to start your day. Plus all my tips for a perfect omelette each and every time.
- Deviled Eggs with Bacon – Everyone’s favorite snack. Keto or not, these will fly off any plate.
- Coconut Flour Waffles – Light, fluffy, and delicious with strawberries and sugar-free whipped cream.
- Bacon In The Oven – Can’t have brunch without bacon! This is the fastest way to make lots of crispy bacon at once.
- Cauliflower Hash Browns – The perfect pairing to your brunch eggs.
Tools To Make Crustless Quiche:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- 9-inch Glass Pie Pan – This 9-inch glass baking dish is the perfect size for this quiche. (Be sure not to use a 10-inch pan, which will be too large.)
- Glass Mixing Bowls – 10 bowls so you’ll always have the size you need. Dishwasher and microwave safe.
Easy Keto Crustless Quiche Caprese Recipe:
Pin it to save for later!
Reader Fave Keto Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Low Carb Crustless Quiche Caprese (Gluten-Free)
Learn how to make the best crustless quiche, with tips & tricks! This easy crustless quiche recipe (Caprese style) is packed with tomatoes, basil and gooey cheese. It will become one of your go-to quiche recipes for brunch.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
Combine the tomatoes, basil, garlic, and 2/3 of the mozzarella pieces in a bowl. Transfer the mixture to the bottom a 9 in (23 cm) round (or square) glass or ceramic pan.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, sea salt, and black pepper (you can reuse the same bowl). Pour the egg mixture into the pan over the tomatoes and basil.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, until starting to set, but still jiggly and a little runny.
Dot the remaining mozzarella pieces on top of the partially baked quiche. Bake until golden and completely set, about 20-25 minutes.
If there is any liquid near the edges (from the tomatoes), drain before serving. Garnish with additional fresh basil ribbons.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1 slice, or 1/6 of entire quiche
Video Showing How To Make Crustless Quiche:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Crustless Quiche!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT COPY/PASTE recipe instructions to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂