FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 170,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Cauliflower hash browns are the keto breakfast side dish your plate has been missing! My 6-ingredient low carb keto hash browns recipe is incredibly easy to make and makes a savory accompaniment to just about any breakfast. Serve these with eggs and bacon for a classic diner meal. You’re going to love them!
Low carb cauliflower recipes have always been an epitome of healthy comfort food for me. It’s no surprise that this veggie came to mind again for a keto hash brown substitute. Can you think of a more perfect way to start your weekend morning?
This recipe for cauliflower hash browns was originally published on January 7, 2017, and was republished in May 2020 to add useful tips. If you’re curious, here is one of the original photos (um, why did I think dried chives were a good idea?):
How To Make Cauliflower Hash Browns
These healthy keto hash browns with cauliflower are ready in just 15 minutes! Here’s how we make them:
- Steam riced cauliflower. The fastest way is to microwave it for 2-3 minutes, until tender.
TIP: Don’t want to use a microwave? You can quickly stir fry cauliflower rice like this.
- Mix wet ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together shredded onion, flaxseed meal, garlic salt, egg, and egg white.
- Drain cauliflower rice. When it’s cool enough to handle, wrap the cauliflower in a cheesecloth or towel. Squeeze tightly over the sink and drain as much liquid as you can.
IMPORTANT: It’s critical to drain as much liquid as possible, to prevent soggy hash browns. I drained more than a cup!
- Mix together. Stir the cauliflower into the bowl with the other ingredients. It should look like the picture below.
TIP: If it doesn’t stick together in your hands, add another egg white. Sometimes this is needed if you used a large head of cauliflower.
- Fry cauliflower rice hash browns. Heat oil in a large skillet. Drop tablespoons of cauliflower mixture onto the pan and press with the back of a spatula to form patties. Cook for 2-4 minutes, or until the bottom is browned, then flip and cook for an additional 2-4 minutes on the other side. Repeat with remaining cauliflower mixture.
Keto Hash Browns FAQs
Can I have hash browns on keto?
Since potatoes are not keto, traditional hash browns certainly aren’t either. Which is why I came up with this low carb hash brown alternative.
These have all the crunchy, salty flavor you love, but in a keto form. No potato hash browns FTW!
How do I make keto hash browns crispy?
I was pleased to find that you can still get those yummy crispy edges even with cauliflower hash browns! Those are totally the best part about hash browns, don’t you agree?
The keys to making crispy cauliflower hash browns are:
- Use a generous amount of oil. Oil helps them crisp up!
- Avoid crowding the pan. Leave room between the hash browns and make sure they aren’t touching.
- Don’t make the riced cauliflower hash browns too thick. In fact, the thinner you can get them without falling apart, the crispier they will be!
- Use medium or medium-high heat. The pan has to be hot enough for browning to happen.
Can I use frozen riced cauliflower?
Yes, you could use frozen riced cauliflower in this low carb cauliflower hash browns recipe. You’ll want to cook the rices cauliflower in the microwave until it’s soft, and prepare the same way. Make sure you don’t skip the draining step.
Can I make these without eggs?
Yes! If you are egg-free, you can make flax eggs, then use those in your recipe. You’ll need 2/3 of a flax “egg” for each egg white (just measure out 2 tablespoons of the mixture) and a full one (3 tablespoons) for each egg.
Can I serve these with ketchup if I’m keto?
Low Carb Hash Browns Storage Instructions
Can you make keto cauliflower hash browns ahead?
Yes, this keto hash brown substitute can be made ahead, stored in the refrigerator, and then reheated.
Alternatively, you could make the cauliflower hash browns low carb mixture ahead and refrigerate it until you’re ready to fry them.
How to store low carb cauliflower hash brown recipe
Store these whole30 hash browns in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze cauliflower hash brown patties?
Yes, these keto hash browns freeze really well. Freeze in a single layer in a pan and once they are frozen solid, you can transfer them to a freezer bag and store in the freezer for 2-3 months.
How to reheat shredded cauliflower hash browns
For best results, reheat the hash browns in a hot skillet, so they get crispy. They can be microwaved to reheat, but they won’t crisp up that way.
More Keto Cauliflower Recipes
Obviously I LOVE cauliflower recipes and have no shortage of them on my site. In fact it was hard to narrow it down to a reasonable list! If you like this cauliflower hash brown recipe, you might also like these other low carb keto cauliflower recipes:
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese – Cauliflower served with a cheesy sauce? I’ll eat this one any time of day.
- Keto Jambalaya – This delicious and satisfying meal in one pan and it’s ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Keto Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto – This dish makes a great side dish to steak or shrimp for a special meal, or served all on its own for a vegetarian meal.
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower – No blending or ricing with this recipe. Just a whole head of cauliflower in all its glory.
- Roasted Cauliflower Hummus – Missing hummus on your keto diet? This one is similar enough to trick you!
- The Best Mashed Cauliflower – I can’t share cauliflower recipes without sharing this one, it’s unbelievably luscious and creamy.
Tools To Make Keto Friendly Hash Browns:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Food Processor– I use this food processor to quickly and easily make my own cauliflower rice. (Use the grating attachment, not the S blade!)
- Nonstick Skillet– The best nonstick skillets, I use these every day.
- Baking Pan and Cooling Rack – While you are frying up the rest of the low carb hash browns, store them on this pan and cooling rack in the oven to keep them crispy.
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Keto Cauliflower Hash Browns Recipe
The best cauliflower hash browns - crispy outside, soft inside. This low carb keto hash browns recipe is ready in just 15 minutes, with 6 ingedients!
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Get The Easy Keto App by Wholesome Yum
Custom low carb meal plans, recipes, and macro tracking to make keto easy - from your iPhone, Android, & computer.GET THE KETO APP
Get RECIPE TIPS in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
- Microwave the riced cauliflower for 2-3 minutes, until tender. (Alternatively, you can steam it.) Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the shredded onion, golden flaxseed meal, garlic salt, egg, and one egg white in a large bowl.
- When the riced cauliflower is cool enough to handle, wrap it in a cheesecloth or towel. Squeeze tightly over the sink to drain as much moisture as possible. (I drained more than a cup of liquid.)
- Stir the cauliflower into the bowl with the other ingredients. If it doesn't stick together well when trying to form a patty (i.e. if your head of cauliflower was very large), add another egg white.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Drop tablespoonfuls of the cauliflower mixture onto the pan and press down with a spatula to form hash brown patties. Cook for 2-4 minutes, until the bottom is browned, then flip and repeat for 2-4 minutes on the other side. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower mixture.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1/4 of entire recipe (about 4-5 small hash browns)
Video Showing How To Make Cauliflower Hash Browns:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Cauliflower Hash Browns!
Want some moral support or recipe help?
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂