FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
My vegetable frittata recipe comes with a formula and guide to make it any flavor you like, so I wanted to do the same for you with a keto quiche recipe. This time I’m using a broccoli cheddar quiche as a base: we start with an almond flour crust and top it with roasted broccoli, cheddar cheese, and a custard egg base. Broccoli cheese quiche is absolutely delicious and one of my favorite kinds (the same flavors in my popular broccoli cheese soup!). But if you want to mix it up, I’ve got a formula for you below to use any kinds of keto vegetables, different cheeses, and even some meat options.
For the keto quiche crust, we’re using my super fine and blanched Wholesome Yum Almond Flour as a keto alternative to white flour. You could make a crustless quiche as well if you want to, but I think it’s even better with a crust. And, this flour gives it a perfect buttery, flaky fine crumb you’re going to love.
What Is A Quiche?
A quiche is a baked egg tart that (usually) has a crust and is filled with a savory custard that usually includes a mix of vegetables, cheese, and meat.
The main difference between a quiche and a frittata is that quiche has a crust and is baked, whereas a frittata doesn’t have a crust and is cooked with a combination of stovetop and in the oven. Read more about frittatas in my vegetable frittata post.
Is quiche keto?
Quiche isn’t usually keto, as it’s usually made with a white flour-based crust.
This keto quiche recipe is made with an almond flour crust and low carb ingredients, which makes it keto friendly.
Is quiche healthy?
Yes, quiche is a healthy option that’s loaded with protein-rich eggs, vegetables, and flavorful cheese.
This version is made with a healthy almond flour crust, which adds even more nutrition to the quiche.
How To Make Broccoli Cheddar Quiche
This broccoli cheddar quiche recipe takes just a few steps:
- Make crust. Bake almond flour pie crust, leaving out the sweetener and using the extra salt. Cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Cook broccoli. Roast broccoli and garlic. Let cool, until no longer hot.
- Mix custard. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt, and pepper. Stir in shredded cheese.
- Assemble. Place broccoli in pie crust in a single layer, pour egg mixture over it and spread the cheese evenly.
- Cover. Cover edges of crust with foil or a pie crust shield. (This will prevent the crust edges from burning.)
- Bake. Bake until set. Cool for 10-20 minutes before slicing.
How long to bake quiche?
Baking time for quiche will vary a bit depending on size and oven temperature, but this low carb quiche recipe takes about 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees F.
How to make quiche fluffy?
Keto quiche recipes should always be fluffy. The key is cream added to the eggs. It’s easy to use the right amount – just follow the formula below, then read my tips for the perfect, super fluffy broccoli cheese quiche (or any other kind you like!) every time.
The Keto Quiche Ingredients Formula
While this is a low carb broccoli cheddar quiche recipe, you can make it many different ways using this formula as a starting point:
- Keto Pie Crust – You can use almond flour or coconut flour for a keto quiche crust. I prefer the taste of almond, especially for savory pies like a quiche, but feel free to use coconut if you have a nut allergy. The remaining ingredients below assume a 9-inch crust that isn’t too deep – this pan is the perfect size.
- 5 Eggs – This number assumes large eggs, so would be different if you use a smaller or larger size.
- 1/3 cup Heavy Cream – This makes the richest keto quiche, but you can also use any other type of keto milk, such as almond milk, coconut milk, or hemp milk.
- 1 1/2 cups Cooked Vegetables – This is equivalent to about 2 to 2 1/4 cups fresh vegetables before cooking. I prefer roasted vegetables for the best flavor, but you can also use steamed or stir fried vegetables.
- 1 cup Cheese – You can use shredded or crumbled, depending on the type. Pretty much all cheeses are keto friendly, so use whatever you like. Here’s a full keto cheese list.
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt + 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
TIP: You can also displace some of the veggies with cooked meats, like bacon or sausage.
More Filling Ideas For Low Carb Quiche
As long as you cook your fillings in advance, you can use almost anything as a filling for quiche. Just use the formula above and mix and match…
- Bell peppers
- Broccoli – Used in this broccoli cheddar quiche recipe!
- Onions – My favorite kind to add are caramelized onions.
Can you add fresh herbs to quiche?
Absolutely! But here’s a tip – they are best either mixed with the cooked fillings or sprinkled on top of the cooked quiche at the end. Mixing herbs into the egg mixture doesn’t work as well, because they tend to either float or sink.
Tips For The Best Quiche Recipe
Pre-cook the vegetables.
Cooking the vegetables is important, so that any excess water is cooked off and doesn’t leave your broccoli and cheddar quiche watery.
Parbake the crust.
Parbaking the crust ensures that the crust cooks properly and won’t be soggy once the quiche fillings are added.
Use a glass or ceramic pan.
It’s important to use glass or ceramic pan instead of aluminum because of how the heat is transferred in the cooking dish. Aluminum pans will cause the outside of the crust to burn before the inside is done.
Be sure it’s the right size, too. This recipe needs a 9-inch glass pie pan like this.
Use the right amount of fillings.
While it can be tempting to cram the quiche with fillings, it’s best to not over-do it. Otherwise, you won’t taste much egg, run the risk of making the quiche watery, and the filling can fall apart.
Overcooked quiche can curdle or get rubbery.
Let quiche rest before slicing.
Let the broccoli and cheese quiche rest for 10-20 minutes, so that it can set up completely.
Can keto quiche be made ahead?
Yes, this broccoli cheese quiche recipe can be made 1-2 days before serving.
You can also prep a few components ahead so that all you need to do before eating is assemble and bake:
How long is broccoli cheese quiche good for?
Quiche can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Can you freeze quiche?
Yes, you can freeze quiche for 1-2 months.
How to reheat quiche:
Reheat quiche in a 350 degree F oven, until hot. The microwave works okay, but can make it dry, rubbery, or overcooked.
What To Serve With Quiche
You can serve this broccoli cheddar quiche recipe all on its own, but if you need a side, try a few of these:
- Salads – Cucumber radish salad, Caesar salad, or strawberry spinach salad all pair well with a keto breakfast quiche.
- Baked Goods – Almond flour blueberry muffins, keto bagels, or keto coffee cake all pair well with keto friendly quiche.
- Sides – Brunch sides such as bacon in the oven, keto coffee, or even fresh fruit! (Check the keto fruit list for which fruits are lowest in carbs.)
Tools To Make Low Carb Quiche
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Glass Pie Pan – This one is the perfect size for this quiche recipe.
- Pie Crust Shield – This helps shield the keto quiche crust from burning while it bakes.
Broccoli Cheese Keto Quiche Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Keto Quiche: Broccoli Cheddar Quiche Recipe
The ultimate guide to making a perfect keto quiche recipe! Includes a broccoli cheddar quiche, plus a formula for making other flavors, tips & tricks, and more.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Bake the almond flour pie crust according to the instructions here (omit the sweetener and use the extra salt for savory crusts). Cool for at least 15 minutes before adding filling. Leave the oven on at 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
Saute the broccoli and garlic according to the instructions here, but using the amounts above (this would be half the amounts in the linked recipe, but process is the same). Because the florets for quiche are smaller, it may take less time. Cool for at least 10 minutes, until no longer hot.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper. Stir in 1 cup (113 g) shredded cheese.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, until set. Cool for 10-20 minutes before slicing.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 slice, or 1/6 entire quiche
Video Showing How To Make Keto Broccoli Cheddar Quiche:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Keto Broccoli Cheddar Quiche!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂