FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 200,000+ others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Kale quiche made in the Instant Pot? Yes, it’s true! This Instant Pot quiche takes just 10 minutes to prep and is loaded with nutritious vegetables, a creamy egg base, and cheesy flavor throughout. The caramelized onions in there take it over the top. You won’t even notice that it’s an Instant Pot crustless quiche instead of one with a crust – much like you don’t miss out on flavor with Instant Pot egg bites, either!
One of the reasons I love quiche in the Instant Pot is that it’s easy to make any time of year, even if you don’t want to turn on the oven, but it’s simple and can be served for any meal of the day, all year round. Breakfast? Yes. Brunch? Of course. Lunch? Definitely. Simple dinner? Even better!
This recipe comes from the cookbook, The Art of Great Cooking with Your Instant Pot, and has been reprinted with permission. And it’s just as amazing as my other egg dishes you can eat any time, such as a vegetable frittata, crustless quiche caprese, and the perfect omelette.
This Instant Pot keto quiche recipe was originally published on December 13, 2017, and the post was republished in December 2020 to add updated pictures, useful tips, and some improvements to this healthy kale quiche. (Namely, I removed the raisins that the original had, as they added sugar and I didn’t feel they were needed.)
How To Make Quiche In The Instant Pot
So, wondering how to make quiche in the Instant Pot? It’s actually very simple. And, the Instant Pot does all the work.
FYI: You’ll need a 1.5 quart casserole dish with a glass lid, like this one for this recipe. Make sure the one you have will fit inside the Instant Pot, because you can’t make this without it.
- Sauté. Add butter to Instant Pot and press “Saute.” When butter has melted, add mushrooms, onions, garlic, and dried thyme, cooking until lightly caramelized. Add kale and saute another minute, until wilted. Press “Keep Warm/Cancel” button.
- Make egg base. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and cream together. Mix in sea salt, lemon zest, shredded cheddar cheese, and the mushroom-kale mixture, stirring to combine.
- Assemble. Pour the egg mixture into the greased dish…
…And dollop ricotta over it.
- Pressure cook. Place a trivet inside the Instant Pot and pour 1 cup water into the bottom. Carefully transfer the casserole dish to the Instant Pot, place onto the trivet, and cover with the dish lid. Cover the Instant Pot with its own lid and seal the steam release valve. Press the “Manual” setting and decrease the time using the “-” button until you reach 20 minutes. Let it come to pressure and then reach zero.
- Release pressure. When the Instant Pot timer goes off and beeps, press “Keep Warm/Cancel.” Allow Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Then, use an oven mitt to “quick release” and open the steam valve.
- Top. Carefully open the lid and add more cheddar cheese to the top of the quiche. Place the Instant Pot lid back on for 3 minutes to melt the cheese, or broil in the oven for a few minutes.
Instant Pot Quiche FAQs
Can you make quiche in an Instant Pot?
Yes, you can make a quiche in a pressure cooker. And if you’re wondering how this works, or trying to picture it, you aren’t alone.
We’re cooking the quiche in a small, round casserole dish that gets placed into the Instant Pot.
Why is my quiche flat?
Quiche and other egg dishes fall flat when they cool too quickly. As the eggs cook, the air bubbles expand and the egg dish rises, and when it cools, those bubbles contract and the egg dish falls.
To prevent this when making a quich in the Instant Pot, open the lid after cooking, but leave the quiche inside for a few minutes.
Can I make this dairy-free?
Yes, you can make this quiche dairy-free. It won’t be quite as cheesy, but you can:
- Omit the cheddar and ricotta cheese – you may want to add an extra egg or two to make up for the volume.
- Swap out the heavy cream for coconut cream, which will impart creamy flavor and texture, without the cheese.
Can you use different veggies?
Sure! Just be sure that you saute them in the Instant Pot first, enough to evaporate any excess water in them – so that you don’t end up with a watery quiche. Try a caprese quiche, or a keto spinach quiche, or take your pick of fave keto vegetables here.
Instant Pot Crustless Quiche Storage Instructions
Can you make it ahead?
Yes, you can make quiche ahead, but since this version is so easy, I recommend making it right before serving.
How to store kale mushroom quiche:
Store leftover quiche in the refrigerator for 2-4 days.
Can you freeze quiche?
Yes. Portion into individual servings and freeze until solid. Transfer to a freezer bag and store for 2-3 months in the freezer.
How to reheat Instant Pot egg quiche:
Reheat the quiche in a 350 degree F oven or in a microwave, just until heated through. I haven’t tried reheating it in the Instant Pot.
More Keto Instant Pot Recipes
If you like this crustless kale quiche recipe, you might also like some of these other keto Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Steak Fajitas – Just 7 minutes to cook this delicious and healthy dinner.
- Sous Vide Egg Bites – These are just like the egg bites from Starbucks and super simple to make with just 4 ingredients.
- Instant Pot Short Ribs – Tender and delicious short ribs in the pressure cooker? Yes, please!
- Low Carb Chicken and Dumplings – Comfort in a bowl that happens to be easy and delicious.
Tools To Make Kale Quiche In The Instant Pot:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Instant Pot – You can’t make Instant Pot keto crustless quiche without an Instant Pot!
- Casserole Dish – You will need a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish with a glass lid that will fit inside the pressure cooker. This one is the perfect size.
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Instant Pot Crustless Quiche Recipe
Learn how to make a kale quiche in the Instant Pot! This healthy Instant Pot crustless quiche recipe is quick and easy, with simple ingredients.
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Get RECIPE TIPS in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Add the butter to the Instant Pot and press "Saute." Once the fat has melted, add the mushrooms, onion, garlic and thyme, sauteing for 10 minutes until lightly caramelized. Add the kale and saute for another 2 minutes just until wilted. Press the "Keep Warm/Cancel" button.
Use butter to grease a 1.5-quart (1.5-L) casserole dish with a glass lid that fits inside the Instant Pot. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and cream together. Add the sea salt, lemon zest, 3/4 of the cheddar cheese (reserving the rest for the top) and the mushroom-kale mixture, gently stirring to fully combine.
Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish. Evenly drop little dollops of ricotta into the custard filling. Place the glass lid on top of the casserole dish.
Place the Instant Pot trivet inside the Instant Pot. Pour 1 cup (237 ml) of water into the Instant Pot. Carefully transfer the covered casserole dish to the Instant Pot on top of the trivet. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the steam release valve is sealed.
Press the "Manual" setting and decrease the time using the "-" button until you reach 20 minutes. When the Instant Pot is done and beeps, press "Keep Warm/Cancel." Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes.
Using an oven mitt, "Quick Release"/open the steam release valve. When the steam venting stops and the silver dial drops, carefully open the lid.
Carefully remove the casserole dish from the Instant Pot and remove the lid. Add the leftover cheese to the top of the quiche. Either place the Instant Pot lid back on the Instant Pot for about 3 minutes to melt the cheese or carefully remove the casserole dish and place under a preheated broiler for 3-5 minutes to brown the cheese on the top.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1 slice, or 1/6 of entire recipe
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Art of Great Cooking with Your Instant Pot by Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri.
Want some moral support or recipe help?
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂