Free: Healthy Freezer Meals Recipe EbookGet It Now
Treat yourself to this easy baked asparagus recipe with parmesan! It’s perfect for when asparagus is in season, but let me be honest, I make it all year if the asparagus at the store looks good. This cheesy parmesan asparagus is a lot like regular roasted asparagus, but adds a generous sprinkle of cheese, plus Italian seasoning. Even my kids like it!
This dish is so simple, but so delicious! It works as a simple brunch with eggs or the best side dish to a healthy dinner. And if you like the flavors of oven baked asparagus with cheese and garlic, you’ll also like asparagus stuffed chicken.
Why You’ll Love This Baked Asparagus Recipe
- Perfectly tender spears
- Cheesy and savory in every bite
- Just 6 simple ingredients (plus salt and pepper)
- One pan with easy cleanup
- Less than 20 minutes from start to finish
- Easy, healthy, perfect side dish for a variety of meals
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for baked asparagus, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Asparagus – The star vegetable! Choose firm, medium asparagus stalks with tightly closed tips. Asparagus spears are available any time of year, but you’ll find the highest quality in the spring when it’s in season. This baked asparagus recipe needs one pound, which is the size of an average bunch.
- Olive Oil – Oil helps with browning and flavor. You can use regular olive oil or avocado oil for a mild taste, or extra virgin olive oil for a richer taste.
- Seasoning – I used Italian seasoning, sea salt, and black pepper. You could also swap the Italian seasoning with individual dried herbs, such as basil or parsley.
- Garlic – I used fresh garlic, but you can use 1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Cheese – Any kind of cheese you like will work! I used a blend of mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese, but you could use either of these alone as well. (Use just parmesan for classic garlic parmesan asparagus.) You can also try cheddar, Swiss, gruyere, provolone, or pecorino romano. You can even use cheese slices if that’s what you have on hand.
How To Bake Asparagus
This section shows how to make baked asparagus with parmesan, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prep. Trim the woody ends from the asparagus, preheat the oven, and line a baking dish with foil or parchment paper.
- Season. Toss the asparagus with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking dish.
- Bake. Bake asparagus until it’s bright green and just starting to soften.
- Add cheese. Mix together mozzarella and parmesan cheese, then sprinkle the cheeses over the asparagus.
- Bake again. Return the parmesan asparagus to the oven, until the cheese has melted and the asparagus is tender.
How Long To Bake Asparagus?
Baked asparagus takes 12-15 minutes when spread out on a sheet pan, but if you bake it in a baking dish with cheese, it takes a bit longer, about 13-17 minutes. Thin asparagus will be done faster than thick asparagus.
Tips For The Best Baked Asparagus With Parmesan
- Bend and snap. If you want to be sure you’re cutting off the right amount, you can gently bend each stalk until it snaps. This breaking point tends to be exactly where you’d want the woody end removed.
- Save on dishes. You can add oil and seasoning right in the baking dish. No need for a separate bowl!
- Adjust cook time based on thickness. The cook time in this baked asparagus recipe is based on medium asparagus stalks. It may be longer or shorter if yours are thicker or thinner.
- Brown the cheese if you like. If you like a crisp, golden cheese, place the baked parmesan asparagus under the broiler for a minute or two at the end.
- Brighten the flavor with lemon. You can add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice at the end, or toss the stalks with it at the same time as the olive oil.
- Store: If you have leftovers, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- Reheat: Warm up your baked asparagus in the oven at 350 degrees F for best results. The microwave will work, but makes it more mushy.
- Meal Prep: If you’d like to prep things ahead, you can wash and trim asparagus in advance. Then, simply assemble and bake right before eating.
- Freeze: I would not recommend freezing asparagus, as the texture of this veggie can get limp and soggy after freezing. Serve it up fresh!
What To Serve With Baked Asparagus
This cheesy baked asparagus goes with just about any main dish! Here are some reader favorites:
- Chicken – Pair this parmesan asparagus with simple chicken legs, crispy pan fried chicken thighs, or the Italian flavors in my creamy Crock Pot chicken.
- Steak – Steak and asparagus are a perfect match! Try sirloin steak in the oven, tender ribeye steak, or a perfect filet mignon. If you also want a lighter replacement for the potatoes that often go with this combo, try mashed cauliflower.
- Pork – The combination of Italian flavors in rosemary garlic pork tenderloin or simple pan seared pork chops works perfectly with oven baked asparagus.
- Seafood – Asparagus and fish often bake on the same pan since their cook times are similar. Try baked salmon, flaky baked tilapia, or buttery baked halibut. It also pairs well with seafood recipes, such as lemon butter shrimp.
- Noodles – Try this dish with your favorite pasta and sauce. For a healthy option, it would be perfect with baked spaghetti squash and a drizzle of alfredo sauce.
- Brunch – Create a nice brunch at home and pair with eggs benedict casserole, tender coddled eggs, or savory homemade lox.
More Easy Asparagus Recipes
If you need more ideas for what to do with asparagus, try these simple and savory ideas:
- Baking Dish – This small one is the ideal size to for baking asparagus spears.
Baked Asparagus Recipe With Parmesan
Baked Asparagus With Parmesan (Easy!)
This easy baked asparagus recipe with parmesan and garlic is perfectly tender with a melty cheese topping. Just 6 ingredients + 20 minutes!
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Line a baking dish with foil (greased) or parchment paper.
Toss the asparagus with olive oil, minced garlic, sea salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning. Arrange in a single layer on the lined baking sheet.
Roast in the oven for about 7-9 minutes, until the asparagus is bright green and just starting to soften.
Mix together the Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, then sprinkle over the asparagus.
Return to the oven for another 6-8 minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1/4 of entire recipe
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂