This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
I make chicken wings in the air fryer most often, because they are the fastest, but I’ve been making this crispy oven baked chicken wings recipe since long before I got an air fryer. (In fact, the secret ingredient in these baked wings is the same one I use in the air fryer version.) With the right seasoning and cooking technique, this healthy appetizer gets just as crispy and flavorful as air fried or deep fried wings.
Baking skin-on chicken in the oven is an easy way to make it crispy — my popular recipes for chicken leg quarters, juicy oven baked chicken thighs, and baked chicken legs are proof! In addition to a blast of heat from the oven, though, we’re adding another special ingredient to make the skin extra crispy.
Why You’ll Love This Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
- Super crispy texture on the skin
- Juicy, tender inside
- Smoky, savory flavor
- Just 6 simple ingredients, plus salt and pepper
- 10-minute prep time and easy cleanup
- Multiple ways to season
- Perfect game day appetizer or main course
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for baked chicken wings in the oven, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Chicken Wings – This baked chicken wings recipe uses separated wingettes (a.k.a. flats) and drummettes, but you could use whole chicken wings if that’s all you have. You can also use only flats or only drummettes alone. Frozen chicken wings work as well, but you’d neither to either thaw them first or bake for longer and season halfway through cooking (learn the technique in my recipe for air fryer frozen chicken wings).
- Olive Oil – You can also use other neutral cooking oils, such as avocado oil.
- Baking Powder – My secret ingredient for baked crispy chicken wings! Baking powder makes skin extra crisp by absorbing extra moisture and changing the pH level on the surface, resulting in a more porous and crispy exterior. Do not use baking soda alone, which will leave an aftertaste.
- Seasonings – Smoked paprika adds a distinct smokiness, while garlic powder and onion powder adds depth and complexity. Sea salt (or kosher salt instead if you like) and black pepper round out the flavor profile.
How To Bake Chicken Wings In The Oven
This section shows how to make baked chicken wings, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prep. Preheat the oven. Set the oven rack to the upper-middle position. Place an oven-safe wire rack set atop a rimmed baking sheet and set aside (I prefer to use this baking sheet and rack combo).
- Combine the seasonings. Whisk together the salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and baking powder.
- Dry the chicken. Pat both sides of the wings dry with a paper towel.
- Season. Add wings to a large bowl with olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle seasoning over the top and toss again until evenly coated in spice mixture. Place on wire rack fitted over a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake. Cook chicken wings in the oven until the skin is crispy and golden brown.
How Long To Bake Chicken Wings?
Bake wings for 35-40 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
What Temp To Bake Chicken Wings?
For the crispiest skin, bake chicken wings in the oven at 425 degrees F.
Tips For The Best Baked Chicken Wings
To ensure perfect results every time, here are some helpful tips to keep in mind:
- Dry the wings. Pat the wings dry before seasoning to ensure crispiness. Excess moisture can cause the skin to be soggy.
- Use a wire rack. A wire rack on top of a baking sheet allows air to circulate around the wings, making them crispier. I love this set that fits together perfectly and cleans easily. For easier cleanup, line the pan with aluminum foil before placing the rack on top.
- Turn halfway through. Flipping ensures even browning.
- Use a meat thermometer. The internal temperature of the wings needs to reach 165 degrees F. Make sure to measure in the thickest part, and not touching the bone.
- Rest. Let the wings rest for a few minutes after baking to allow juices to redistribute and prevent them from becoming dry.
Feel free to swap the spices to customize your baked chicken wings recipe! For the salt, a good rule of thumb is 2/3 to 3/4 teaspoon of salt per pound of wings, so keep this in mind depending on whether your seasoning contains salt or not.
- Lemon Pepper – Replace seasonings with 1/4 cup of lemon pepper seasoning, or try my baked lemon pepper wings.
- Buffalo – Cook wings according to instructions above and toss with 1/2 cup of buffalo sauce or hot sauce. Or, try my baked buffalo wings.
- Savory Chicken – Use 2 tablespoons of my poultry seasoning instead.
- Cajun – For a spicy kick in dry rub form, toss wings in 2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning blend instead of the seasonings above.
- Garlic Parmesan – Make the wings following instructions above. Meanwhile, saute 3 cloves of garlic in 1/4 cup unsalted butter. When the wings are done, toss them in the garlic butter sauce. Top with shredded or grated parmesan cheese.
- Store: Wings can be store in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- Reheat: For best results, reheat at 400 degrees F in the oven or 350 degrees in the air fryer, until warm. Microwaving is okay in a pinch, but the skin won’t be crispy.
- Freeze: Store in the freezer for up to 6 months. For best results, spread on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze until solid, then transfer to a freezer bag or container for storage. (This method prevents the oven baked wings from sticking together.)
What To Serve With Oven Baked Chicken Wings
Want to turn this dish into a complete meal or snack? Try these delicious sides:
- Dips – For a classic appetizer, don’t forget the celery sticks, carrots, and ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing. You can also dip the wings in buffalo sauce or BBQ sauce.
- Appetizers – Make a feast of appetizers such as loaded nachos (or cauliflower nachos), cheesy fries, garlic parmesan fries, spicy buffalo cauliflower bites, oven baked potato skins, jalapeno poppers, or creamy spinach artichoke dip for the ultimate game day spread.
- Vegetables – Tender sauteed zucchini, caramelized roasted eggplant, or savory sauteed cabbage pair well here.
- Potatoes – You can’t go wrong with loaded Instant Pot baked potatoes, golden roasted potatoes, or dippable air fryer sweet potatoes. For a lighter option, try roasted rutabaga.
More Easy Chicken Wing Recipes
Crispy skin and tender meat await with these easy and delicious chicken wing recipes!
- Baking Pan & Rack Set – The key to making baked chicken wings crispy! I love this all-in-one set. It allows for even heat distribution and easy cleanup.
Baked Chicken Wings
Baked Chicken Wings (So Crispy!)
This crispy oven baked chicken wings recipe uses a secret ingredient for extra crispy skin, plus staples like oil and spices. Fast and easy!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C). Set the oven rack to the upper-middle position. Place on an oven-safe wire rack set atop a rimmed baking sheet (or use this baking sheet and rack combo – my favorite for crispy foods!). Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the baking powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
Pat both sides of the wings dry with a paper towel (this helps them get extra crispy). Add the wings to a large mixing bowl with olive oil and toss to coat.
Sprinkle the seasoning over the top and toss again until evenly coated in spice mixture.
Arrange the wings on the wire rack, without touching each other.
Bake chicken wings in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until the skin is crispy and golden brown and the internal temperature of the wings reaches 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 5-7 wings
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
I made them with chicken thighs they turn out just great.
Can thighs be added to the wire rack as well?
Maya | Wholesome Yum0
Hi Elyce, Yes, you can, but they will take longer to cook than wings.
thank you for responding~
My chicken wings turned out so flavorful with crispy skin. I can’t wait to make this recipe again!
These were moist and delicious. I dipped mine in buffalo sauce. YUM!
Crispy, rich in flavor, juicy and super easy to make, those baked chicken wings are our favorite and our friends.
Love them! Thank you for the recipe.
These baked chicken wings were crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. The seasoning was perfectly balanced, giving the wings a delicious flavor, I’ll definitely be making them again!
These chicken wings were so crispy and delicious! I loved how easy and simple this recipe was.