This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
With its quick and even cooking, the air fryer is a great way to make perfect sweet potato wedges every time. This air fryer sweet potato recipe is just as versatile as air fryer carrots, roasted sweet potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes, but with added caramelization and shorter cooking time. Plus, sweet potatoes in the air fryer are so easy to make with your favorite seasonings!
Why You’ll Love This Sweet Potato Air Fryer Recipe
- Sweet and savory
- Crispy on the outside & soft on the inside
- Just 5 simple ingredients (plus salt and pepper)
- Done in 30 minutes
- Easy to customize
- Faster than the oven!
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for sweet potato in the air fryer, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Sweet Potatoes – I cook mine with peels on, but you can peel them if you prefer. Other varieties, such as white-fleshed sweet potatoes or yams, will also work.
- Olive Oil – Helps the seasonings stick and ensures that the air fryer sweet potatoes get crispy. Avocado oil will work as well.
- Spices – Oregano, garlic powder, and paprika (sweet or smoked). See more seasoning ideas below!
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper – For flavor and texture. Make sure you season before cooking, and again to taste after air frying.
VARIATION: Add sweetness or spice.
Replace the seasonings with equal parts of your favorite herbs and spice blends (but do keep the salt and pepper). Try favorites like:
- Italian seasoning
- Chili powder or cumin
- Cajun seasoning (keep in mind this one has salt added)
- Pumpkin pie spice (or just a sprinkle of cinnamon)
- Brown sugar (or brown sugar substitute to keep it sugar-free)
How To Cook Sweet Potatoes In The Air Fryer
This section shows how to make sweet potato fries in the air fryer with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prep. Wash the potatoes and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into wedges of similar size.
FYI: The drying step is important!
Drying the potatoes is important to ensure they get crispy while cooking.
- Coat. In a large bowl, combine the potato wedges, olive oil, and seasonings. Toss to coat.
- Arrange. Place the sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket in a single layer, leaving space between them.
- Cook. Air fry sweet potatoes, shaking the basket 2-3 times, until golden and crispy.
- Season. Remove the basket and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Can You Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes Instead Of Wedges?
Yes, you can. Sweet potato cubes are just as easy to make as wedges. The key is to cut the sweet potatoes into even-sized half inch cubes so that they cook evenly.
How Long To Cook Sweet Potatoes In The Air Fryer?
Whether you are cooking wedges or cubes, air fryer sweet potatoes will take about 20-25 minutes. The time will vary depending on the size and shape, but they will all take less time than baking them in the oven.
Tips For The Best Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
These sweet potatoes are really easy to make, but here are a few tips to make sure they come out tender on the inside and crispy on the outside!
- Cut evenly. Slice your sweet potatoes into uniform pieces, so they cook at the same rate.
- Don’t skimp on the oil. This is the key to a crispy exterior.
- Preheat the air fryer. Heat the air fryer for 1-2 minutes before adding wedges, to help them crisp up better on the outside.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket. Cook the wedges in batches if needed to avoid crowding the basket (mine required 3 batches). If you overcrowd the basket, the wedges will not be crispy and may cook unevenly.
- Store: Wrap potatoes tightly in plastic wrap or place in a covered container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat: I recommend reheating your wedges in the air fryer so they are just as crispy as the first time you made them. Place in the air fryer at 400 degrees F for 3-5 minutes.
- Freeze: Wrap wedges in foil and place in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
Sweet potatoes make a delicious and healthy alternative to regular potatoes, and a great side dish or snack. They can truly go with everything!
- Chicken – Share sweet potatoes with chicken recipes such as crispy pan-fried chicken thighs, a juicy baked chicken breast , quick air fryer chicken wings, or chicken leg quarters.
- Beef – These sweet and savory wedges pair beautifully with a tender sirloin steak, New York strip, or a filet mignon for special occasions.
- Breakfast – Instead of roasted potatoes, serve these wedges with your favorite breakfast dishes. They pair well with cloud eggs, an omelette, or baked eggs.
- Salads – Swap the squash in butternut squash salad for diced sweet potato, or toss with other favorites like spinach bacon salad or kale crunch salad.
- Dipping Sauces – If you just want a healthy snack or appetizer, they pair perfectly with my sugar-free ketchup, tahini sauce, or lemon garlic aioli.
More Easy Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
Veggies are quick, easy, and much healthier to make in your air fryer. If you liked this recipe, you’ll love some of our other easy veggies:
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Recipe
Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes (Crispy & Fast!)
Cook sweet potatoes faster with this air fryer sweet potato recipe, using simple ingredients like olive oil, oregano, garlic powder, and paprika.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Wash the potatoes and pat dry with paper towels (drying is important so they can get crispy). Cut into wedges of similar size.
In a large bowl, combine the sweet potato wedges, olive oil, and seasonings. Toss to coat.
Arrange the sweet potato wedges in the air fryer basket in a single layer, leaving space between them. (Cook in batches if needed to avoid crowding the basket; mine required 3 batches.)
Cook sweet potatoes in the air fryer at 390 degrees F (199 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes, shaking the air fryer basket every 8-10 minutes, until golden and crisp.
Remove the basket and sprinkle the wedges with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram, or in our Facebook support group, too – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
Can you recommend a substitute for the oil? Cannot have any kind of oil.
Wholesome Yum D0
Hi Lu, Oil is vital to the recipe, but you could potentially use butter, but it might smoke more than oil would.
Winner Winner!!!! Easy to make and very tasty. I leafy the peel on and sprayed on avocado oil then added the spices. Thanks for a delicious air fryer recipe!
These were so good!
I love the spices on these – delicious! Thanks for the recipe.
Journa Liz Ramirez0
One of my go-to sweet potato recipes. This quick and easy recipe turned out to be satisfying and a new favorite. I’ll surely make this on repeat!
I love this recipe! Tasted so yummy and so easy to make!